Will it look negative to change courses twice to employers? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have changed from eco/science (1st year) to commerce/eco (2nd year 1st sem) and might drop the eco part next semester since I know for sure I am not planning to be an economist or economics related career , since I have just started doing some more eco, but i am very neutral to the economics side. I know i should have picked commerce and then if i wanted pick economics for the dual degree. Would employers look very negatively upon that fact or just simply dismiss any applications I make in the future. That is the main reason why I am still uncertain to dropping the eco part. So should i still drop eco? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
I have changed from eco/science (1st year) to commerce/eco (2nd year 1st sem) and might drop the eco part next semester since I know for sure I am not planning to be an economist or economics related career , since I have just started doing some more eco, but i am very neutral to the economics side. I know i should have picked commerce and then if i wanted pick economics for the dual degree. Would employers look very negatively upon that fact or just simply dismiss any applications I make in the future. That is the main reason why I am still uncertain to dropping the eco part. So should i still drop eco? Thanks in advance.
I kind of see it a process of finding out what you really want/like, and I don't think it would disadvantage you in any way. (Though this is just my opinion). If you are still concerned you could ring up UNSW careers/book an appointment with them!

Just curious, why would you drop Eco if you are neutral to it? Do you think it would not be useful at all in the future?:O

BoredNearGrad

HSC
N/A
I don't think so, it's better to find what you like and do well at it than stick with something that will you will do bad it. Plus they wouldn't know unless it says so on your transcript and most of the time employers don't ask for your transcript. Plus after your first job, grades and all that don't matter.

HSC
Renaa, yeah, i'm worried that economics wouldn't benefit me much and the benefits of dropping and one less year of study would outweigh the benefits of doing economics as well when I'm sure that I won't do any economics related career. And BoredNearGrad, yes, it would show on transcript as being under a different degree, the transcript stays for the duration of study, which is the main reason I am worried for changing courses twice.

Thank you for all your replies. I have til August or when IPT opens again to think about it so hopefully by then I have made a decision.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)