WAM after uni graduation (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have heard that having a high WAM (D or HD) is what employers want, but would doing not good in first year but rising from that or only doing 3 subjects per semester on academic transcript (so more time to focus, so employers would think obviously it is easy to get a higher WAM) affect their opinions of you or would work experience and extra-cirriculars matter much more?

Thanks in advance.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Honestly they're probably not gonna read into your transcript that much.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
WAM is important, but it is just as important to show you have been involved in a related field. For example, when applying for engineering internships, they ask you to attach your academic transcript and talk about your leadership and community involvement.

In Med they tell us, a 50 WAM is a doctor who knows 50% of what he is meant to know. In other fields, I believe WAM is important as well. However, in some degrees, graduating with distinction is more common. Having additional experience would show you are all rounded and place you at a higher level.

HSC
I also think they wouldn't care so much about the academic transcript (whether or not 3 or 4 subjects, it is just that most people seem to all do 4 subjects) but with a lot of average or bad marks at the beginning of the transcript (first year), will be pretty bad, no? I am just worried since I did 2 maths subjects which were related to my previous course (eco/science) which boosted my wam, so yeah, I must do well in the future, so that employers won't think it is just the maths subjects that contribute to my wam. But I guess it shouldn't matter, since in UNSW, all our courses that we have done from all courses would be recorded anyway on our academic transcript.

Thanks so much for your replies, Queenroot, Renaaa and anomalousdecay.

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I think they would be more concerned with you overall WAM. Also, if you have improved then it comes off as a good thing.

It also really depends on the jobs you are applying for too.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
The importance of your WAM is largely dependent on the industry/firm that you're applying to. For example, the investment banks generally expect a Distinction average as a minimum, whereas the commercial banks would place their cut off around the Credit mark.

Also, your WAM is only important for getting an interview. At the interview stage, it basically comes down to your performance on the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)