Transferring Commerce/Economics to just Commerce (1 Viewer)

crispplaying

HSC
Hi, I'm a second year studying commerce/economics at UNSW with the mindset that I'd complete this degree and major in finance and economics. However, I'm starting to realise, given my lack of mathematical ability, economics isn't for me. I've passed some of the introductory economic units, and I don't see this getting any better from here onward (Being lucky to scrape passes for economics units). I'm thinking of dropping economics and just doing commerce with a double major in finance and international business or taxation. I'm just anxious as I've wasted a whole year doing economics subjects and gen-eds with the knowledge that I'd eventually put my head down and do well. These mathematical concepts don't really come naturally to me and I'd have to work 10x harder to wrap my head around them, let alone applying them to different questions. My WAM has suffered abit from these subjects aswell.
Wouldn't it be better to do flat commerce, double major with a substantially higher WAM rather than commerce/economics with a sub par WAM??

HSC
I'm in the same situation, same degree and year, and I'm contemplating dropping economics as well. For me, it isn't about the maths, but more about the essays particularly for econ1401 and deeper analysis. I have wasted a lot of subjects as well but my ones being maths and economics subjects since I was in economics/science before. I'm going to book an appointment with the business advisor.

For me, the only thing that is stopping me from dropping the economics, is I don't want to be perceived by employers as a person who cannot persist, but I don't think i can keep doing economics so I might just apply for IPT and hopefully by acceptance period I will know whether or not to drop to single commerce. I have wasted a year's worth of subjects including doing less than 4 subjects and doing a lot of economics courses, sunless I do summer school, it will take 4 years + to graduate with a commerce degree. Which is around the same time as doing commerce/economics anyway, so I'm conflicted.

I'm doing an economics subject right now, to see if I really still want to continue with it, because part of me still wants to see if I can do it, but i'm not sure about the benefits of doing an extra economics on top. But you should really book an appointment with the business advisor. Sorry, I have not made any input.

I'm probably going to delete this reply later. Such an embarassingly useless reply. Sorry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)