Commerce Major for Combined Law (1 Viewer)

desisted

HSC
What's the most common commerce major that people take for combined law? I was thinking of doing accounting but people said not to do that?

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
what are you looking at in terms of job?
if a lawyer, what area of practice?
finance is common, accounting used to be common but not anymore (in a room of 50 grads at a top-tier firm, only one majored in accounting)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the most common commerce major that people take for combined law? I was thinking of doing accounting but people said not to do that?
From my own experience, most Commerce/Law students major in Finance for Commerce. Accounting is probably the second most popular major for Commerce/Law students but I feel Finance is the most popular (by far). Finance tends to attract the 'high-achieving' students and there's many of those doing Law.

But honestly, do whatever you want.

If you want to practise law, it honestly doesn't matter even.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Finance is definitely the most popular, then Accounting. And I think Business Law is the third.

mreditor16

HSC
Finance is definitely the most popular, then Accounting. And I think Business Law is the third.
I don't think you can do Business Law as your commerce major, if you're doing Commerce/Law.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
What about like management and marketing
Management is probably around 5-6th behind Economics - some definitely do it for "management consulting" but marketing isn't as popular due to the lack of synergy and/or more creative people tend to pick arts instead of comm as their 2nd degree with law. (in fact I don't have any friends choosing marketing as their major with law)

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
what are you looking at in terms of job?
if a lawyer, what area of practice?
finance is common, accounting used to be common but not anymore (in a room of 50 grads at a top-tier firm, only one majored in accounting)
I think it should be noted accounting is still very common but not as common as it used to be - as others said, its still a firm 2nd behind finance.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it should be noted accounting is still very common but not as common as it used to be - as others said, its still a firm 2nd behind finance.
Despite being a firm 2nd, I feel like for every 10 Commerce/Law students I would talk to, 7-8 would be Finance majors, 1-2 would be Accounting majors and 1 would not be an Accounting or Finance major.

It just speaks volumes of the overpopularity of Finance in the Commerce/Law cohort. Finance is also arguably the most popular major for other combined Commerce degrees such as Commerce/Actuarial Studies or Commerce/Engineering. Of course, there are exceptions such as the popularity of the Marketing major for Commerce/Media students.

mreditor16

HSC
Despite being a firm 2nd, I feel like for every 10 Commerce/Law students I would talk to, 7-8 would be Finance majors, 1-2 would be Accounting majors and 1 would not be an Accounting or Finance major.

It just speaks volumes of the overpopularity of Finance in the Commerce/Law cohort. Finance is also arguably the most popular major for other combined Commerce degrees such as Commerce/Actuarial Studies or Commerce/Engineering. Of course, there are exceptions such as the popularity of the Marketing major for Commerce/Media students.
Can confirm. From the people I've talked to, I would estimate that 80% of Commerce/Actuarial Studies students do Finance as their commerce major.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)