UNSW Law- Is it too competitive? (1 Viewer)

Jakulore

HSC
Hey all,

I just finished the HSC and though my ATAR did not meet the cut off, due to AAA I have been given 3 Bonus Points towards a UNSW degree and additionally, I performed within the 97th percentile for my LAT so hopefully that would place me in good stead for admittance in January.

My biggest concern however, is, if I do choose to go to UNSW... Would it be too competitive for me to be able to do well? Would I be better off going to another University such as Wollongong? I am just not sure what to do... Going to UNSW would be a big step for me, as almost no one from my school this year will be going, so if I was going to go... Would I be able to perform well in the degree? Or do people think that the University would be too competitive for someone like me?

Thank you in advance for any advice that you are able to offer me :)

HSC
N/A
most unis are pretty similar, it will be competitive regardless. You will be fine man, just sometimes you get the odd stuck up person in law

Just stick to unsw, you'll find theres hundreds of like minded and it's easy to make friends. Just make sure you want to do law, I remember many in first year dropping it

Jakulore

HSC
I'm certain I want to do Law, so it should be the same regardless of University? That is good then. Do you think my LAT score will put me in a decent stead for studying Law?

HoldingOn

HSC
Even with your bonus points you are still well under the 99.7 cutoff- I know of several applicants who scored within the 99s who are hard pushed to get in. Regarding the LAT this is its first year so it's hard to tell how much weight it carries in comparison to the ATAR

Last edited:

Jakulore

HSC
Even with your bonus points you are still well under the 99.7 cutoff- I know of several applicants who scored within the 99s who are hard pushed to get in. Regarding the LAT this is its first year so it's hard to tell how much weight it carries in comparison to the ATAR
For 2017, with the LAT weighting, the cut off for Law is 95.

HSC
N/A
@HoldingOn I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, at unsw you get fair few people on the AAA scholarship (and other various bonus points) and they are well below the 99.65+ atar requirement.

@OP that LAT score should get you in. And yes Law at any other uni will be competitive and you'll need to put the work in, it may as well be at a Go8 uni and UNSW.

Jakulore

HSC
@HoldingOn I'm not sure you know what you're talking about, at unsw you get fair few people on the AAA scholarship (and other various bonus points) and they are well below the 99.65+ atar requirement.

@OP that LAT score should get you in. And yes Law at any other uni will be competitive and you'll need to put the work in, it may as well be at a Go8 uni and UNSW.
Thank you. :)

chefcurry30

HSC
Hey Jakulore, I'm more or less in the same position you were a year ago and I was wondering, since you've had one year of law at unsw under your belt, how competitive is law at unsw? How have you found dual law in general? Thanks in advance :)

Jakulore

HSC
Hey Jakulore, I'm more or less in the same position you were a year ago and I was wondering, since you've had one year of law at unsw under your belt, how competitive is law at unsw? How have you found dual law in general? Thanks in advance :)
Hey! Umm, after a year of being in law, obviously I am no expert, but I wouldn't say that it has been too bad. Of course you are going to get all sorts of people in your classes, and a lot of them do come from that competitive background, but overall I think it has been pretty good. There isn't really a sort of competition between my peers and I that I have experienced... More or less just focused on us and trying to achieve the best.

I was worried that I wouldn't get good marks as I didn't come in with the same background as some others, but ultimately my marks have been pretty good so far. I'm at the very least, achieving distinctions in everything. In terms of dual law, I think it is good, as not only do I get to do two different degrees, but it also helps break up the law and give an easier transition into university, or at least that is how I feel.

All in all, I guess my best advice is to just choose whatever you think would be most convenient for you, because at the end of the day, it is a law degree. To my surprise, I was able to get through my first year just fine and I am keen to continue on with the degree, so if you think law might be for you then I would definitely suggest that you go for it ;)

Let me know if you have any more questions or if I missed anything!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)