Not sure what I'm going to do with my life (1 Viewer)

anon1234567

HSC
Hi everyone!!!
I hope that your studies are going well and that you are enjoying your break. Recently I've been wanting to transfer from UNSW software engineering to either maths teaching or psychology at UNSW through UAC. However, I like both equally so I'm not sure which one I should pick. I've listed a few positive/negative points for each degree below. I would appreciate it if you took your time to help me decide.

Math Teaching:
Pros:
- Nice work-life balance due to low number of weekly hours, lots of holidays etc.
- I enjoy maths (except for combinatorics which I feel like I won't be able to teach well)
- I've done 3 maths courses for engineering at UNSW already so this will fast track my finishing of this degree (I got Distinctions in all of them)
- Lots of jobs available.
- I've helped lots of people pass math courses at uni, and I'm confident in my knowledge of the content and my ability to teach.
Cons:
- I don't want to work at a school where the students are known for causing trouble; I already suffer from depression so if the kids repeatedly cause trouble for me, this could make my condition worse.
- Lower pay compared to teaching
Psychology:
Pros:
- Nice work-life balance due to low number of weekly hours, lots of holidays etc.
- I did a psychology course as a free elective at UNSW and I really enjoyed the content: this lead me to getting a HD for it.
- Higher pay compared to math teaching
Cons:
- Fewer job positions available (by the way I want to either be a clinical psychologist or a neuropsychologist)
- Being in contact with patients (if I become a clinical psychologist) may worsen my depression

Please spend time to give me reasons as to why I should pursue one of the 2 degrees and not the other. I will appreciate your input. Thank you so much in advance!!!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I suggest that you become a maths teacher
and maybe at the school where you get the job you can suggest to be a welfare teacher. In this way, students will be able to relay you their concerns (sort of like psychology)
This way, you get the both of best worlds.

anon1234567

HSC
I suggest that you become a maths teacher
and maybe at the school where you get the job you can suggest to be a welfare teacher. In this way, students will be able to relay you their concerns (sort of like psychology)
This way, you get the both of best worlds.
Thanks for that advice - it was very insightful!!! I never even thought that you could do that, but it actually seems like a good idea. I'll probably consider doing this. By the way, do welfare teachers get to teach their subject full time, or is it only part time? Furthermore, do you receive more income from being a welfare teacher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)