Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

HSC

Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Thanks, I'm gonna add some new sections to it soon. When are offers released? I assume that's when this will come handy lol
    18th jan
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    Yes, the one next to the CBA atm. Its a NAB atm
    there's redi next to it
    Oh I just realised - RediATM is partnered with NAB.

There's two opposite Subway - CBA and RediATM/NAB.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Yeah it's called Kensington park but if you get there after 9am then you will likely have to go up Doncaster Ave or further down cottengham street with ends up being a 15+ min walk to main walkway
    Yeah true but all day parking and if u live far 15Min walk better than public transport
    Rip if first class is upper campus though

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    Yeah true but all day parking and if u live far 15Min walk better than public transport
    Rip if first class is upper campus though
    That's tru. Took me 100 min yesterday from my front door to sitting down in class while being uncomfortable on a hot train, standing for 10 min waiting for the bus then being delayed because of bad traffic due to light rail. Driving plus walking will take 70minutes (~85 in peak time with traffic) plus another 15 min to walk to class. So it ends up taking the same time or quicker. My car does about 10L/100km so it ends up costing about $12/day driving which is less than opal fare anyways or if ur consession its 5$ more and tbh that's worth it getting to sit in ur own aircon car listen to ur own music comfortably with no people sitting next to you.

If ur class is on upper campus, you can take the 400 bus which ends up being $1.05 anways

too bad randwick council are cunts and changed the parking signages to 1/2hr or 1hr on barker street near the maccas
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

HSC

That's tru. Took me 100 min yesterday from my front door to sitting down in class while being uncomfortable on a hot train, standing for 10 min waiting for the bus then being delayed because of bad traffic due to light rail. Driving plus walking will take 70minutes (~85 in peak time with traffic) plus another 15 min to walk to class. So it ends up taking the same time or quicker. My car does about 10L/100km so it ends up costing about $12/day driving which is less than opal fare anyways or if ur consession its 5$ more and tbh that's worth it getting to sit in ur own aircon car listen to ur own music comfortably with no people sitting next to you.

If ur class is on upper campus, you can take the 400 bus which ends up being $1.05 anways

too bad randwick council are cunts and changed the parking signages to 1/2hr or 1hr on barker street near the maccas
    those fucking cunts that must suck shit..
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Very detailed and super helpful guide to UNSW

Cheers Queenroot

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Hi y'all, updated services and other helpful stuff with a new pdf file, check it out

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

Also r high school students allowed to go to the UNSW library for free?

And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?
    1. No
    2. Yes, but you will need to apply for a card in order to borrow.
    3. That's why there are grades, exams etc. It's meant to be competitive and only the best get the high marks.

HSC
    N/A

pls don't come to the library if you are coming in a group

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

pls don't come to the library if you are coming in a group
    why not?

If i were to come though I'd prob come by myself and iirc it's open 24/7

HSC

study...?
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

D94
    HSC
    N/A

why not?

nope

https://www.library.unsw.edu.au/stud.../opening-hours

HSC
    N/A

why not?

you can come alone that's fine

high school kids leave their rubbish everywhere and take up study rooms that people have booked

also are loud

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

study...?
    yea ik that lol I mean like how do you study effectively so you take in all that info (coz I heard 1 week of uni=1 year of high school)
    Ok I misread that somewhere then (cant remember where)
    you can come alone that's fine

high school kids leave their rubbish everywhere and take up study rooms that people have booked

also are loud
    Oh..., just tell the Librarian to kick them out or something lol

HSC

yea ik that lol I mean like how do you study effectively so you take in all that info (coz I heard 1 week of uni=1 year of high school)

study depends on what subjects you do

D94
    HSC
    N/A

During exam time, I think a section of the library is 24/7. But that's only for a few weeks per year.

You would be going to campus security with any issues like that. The librarian is a manager, not someone who works on the floor.

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

study depends on what subjects you do
    Ok say like maths or actuarial studies since they require practice (I assume HS maths is similar to uni maths in terms of study)
    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    During exam time, I think a section of the library is 24/7. But that's only for a few weeks per year.

You would be going to campus security with any issues like that. The librarian is a manager, not someone who works on the floor.
    Oh...

btw how would I prep for uni exams, is it similar to HSC prep however lack of past student resources and practice exam papers? How do I access an abundance of these resources in uni coz I heard you dont get much access to past student notes and past exam papers?

HSC
    N/A

Ok say like maths or actuarial studies since they require practice (I assume HS maths is similar to uni maths in terms of study)

Oh...

btw how would I prep for uni exams, is it similar to HSC prep however lack of past student resources and practice exam papers? How do I access an abundance of these resources in uni coz I heard you dont get much access to past student notes and past exam papers?
    For math you probably would get past papers

you just gotta know everything

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Anything covered can be examined. You need to know everything if you want to do well.

Tbh, if you need to 'prep' for uni exams, you probably won't do well. Everything is a progression towards the final exams (and future courses). You will have quizzes, assignments, tutorial questions, lab exercises etc. throughout the semester, and so you need to be on point throughout the semester if you want high marks. If you have kept up, then the exams feel just like another quiz or assignment (I've even had exams where a section was to basically do one of the labs again, so if you screwed around and copied someone else to get 100%, you certainly would have failed that exam).

As for resources, you just have to ask around if you want to obtain the 'lucrative' past papers and notes that aren't officially released to students. You need to know people.

HSC

dumb question but can you elaborate more on the 3 subject being considered as full time??

so as a first year student i can take 3 subs, which equal to 6oc each, and in sem 2 take 4 subs, and have enough to transfer?

also on the unsw website it says mininum 48uoc for both semesters to be considered full-time?? im lost

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sourmilk View Post
    dumb question but can you elaborate more on the 3 subject being considered as full time??

so as a first year student i can take 3 subs, which equal to 6oc each, and in sem 2 take 4 subs, and have enough to transfer?

also on the unsw website it says mininum 48uoc for both semesters to be considered full-time?? im lost
    For local students, 18 UOC and above is a full time study load. 24 UOC per semester is a typical load.

HSC

Can I get free parking during o week
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    u can try

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    of course you can

how do you like 20 minute walks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information