Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 77
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

  1. #26
    Loquacious One turntaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,956
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    Thanks, I'm gonna add some new sections to it soon. When are offers released? I assume that's when this will come handy lol
    18th jan
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

  2. #27
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    Yes, the one next to the CBA atm. Its a NAB atm
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    there's redi next to it
    Oh I just realised - RediATM is partnered with NAB.

    There's two opposite Subway - CBA and RediATM/NAB.

  3. #28
    Yogurt RenegadeMx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2013
    Uni Grad
    2017
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,233
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    Yeah it's called Kensington park but if you get there after 9am then you will likely have to go up Doncaster Ave or further down cottengham street with ends up being a 15+ min walk to main walkway
    Yeah true but all day parking and if u live far 15Min walk better than public transport
    Rip if first class is upper campus though



    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not


    ~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

  4. #29
    listening to tapes Squar3root's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    welcome to ur tape
    Posts
    4,721
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    Yeah true but all day parking and if u live far 15Min walk better than public transport
    Rip if first class is upper campus though
    That's tru. Took me 100 min yesterday from my front door to sitting down in class while being uncomfortable on a hot train, standing for 10 min waiting for the bus then being delayed because of bad traffic due to light rail. Driving plus walking will take 70minutes (~85 in peak time with traffic) plus another 15 min to walk to class. So it ends up taking the same time or quicker. My car does about 10L/100km so it ends up costing about $12/day driving which is less than opal fare anyways or if ur consession its 5$ more and tbh that's worth it getting to sit in ur own aircon car listen to ur own music comfortably with no people sitting next to you.

    If ur class is on upper campus, you can take the 400 bus which ends up being $1.05 anways

    too bad randwick council are cunts and changed the parking signages to 1/2hr or 1hr on barker street near the maccas
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

  5. #30
    New Member Raiza_98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Squar3root View Post
    That's tru. Took me 100 min yesterday from my front door to sitting down in class while being uncomfortable on a hot train, standing for 10 min waiting for the bus then being delayed because of bad traffic due to light rail. Driving plus walking will take 70minutes (~85 in peak time with traffic) plus another 15 min to walk to class. So it ends up taking the same time or quicker. My car does about 10L/100km so it ends up costing about $12/day driving which is less than opal fare anyways or if ur consession its 5$ more and tbh that's worth it getting to sit in ur own aircon car listen to ur own music comfortably with no people sitting next to you.

    If ur class is on upper campus, you can take the 400 bus which ends up being $1.05 anways

    too bad randwick council are cunts and changed the parking signages to 1/2hr or 1hr on barker street near the maccas
    those fucking cunts that must suck shit..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    i just want eugenie bouchard to look in my direction again<3<3<3

  6. #31
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Very detailed and super helpful guide to UNSW

    Cheers Queenroot

  7. #32
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Hi y'all, updated services and other helpful stuff with a new pdf file, check it out

  8. #33
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

    Also r high school students allowed to go to the UNSW library for free?

    And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?

  9. #34
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

    Also r high school students allowed to go to the UNSW library for free?

    And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?
    1. No
    2. Yes, but you will need to apply for a card in order to borrow.
    3. That's why there are grades, exams etc. It's meant to be competitive and only the best get the high marks.

  10. #35
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

    Also r high school students allowed to go to the UNSW library for free?

    And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?
    pls don't come to the library if you are coming in a group

  11. #36
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    pls don't come to the library if you are coming in a group
    why not?

    If i were to come though I'd prob come by myself and iirc it's open 24/7

  12. #37
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,213
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Soz for the stupid questions but r u allowed to go to the gym and swimming pool for free?

    Also r high school students allowed to go to the UNSW library for free?

    And how on earth do you take in so much content when at uni, there's so much content in a little amount of time?
    study...?
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  13. #38
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    why not?

    If i were to come though I'd prob come by myself and iirc it's open 24/7
    nope

    https://www.library.unsw.edu.au/stud.../opening-hours

  14. #39
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    why not?

    If i were to come though I'd prob come by myself and iirc it's open 24/7
    you can come alone that's fine

    high school kids leave their rubbish everywhere and take up study rooms that people have booked

    also are loud

  15. #40
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    study...?
    yea ik that lol I mean like how do you study effectively so you take in all that info (coz I heard 1 week of uni=1 year of high school)
    Ok I misread that somewhere then (cant remember where)
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    you can come alone that's fine

    high school kids leave their rubbish everywhere and take up study rooms that people have booked

    also are loud
    Oh..., just tell the Librarian to kick them out or something lol

  16. #41
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,213
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    yea ik that lol I mean like how do you study effectively so you take in all that info (coz I heard 1 week of uni=1 year of high school)

    Ok I misread that somewhere then (cant remember where)

    Oh..., just tell the Librarian to kick them out or something lol
    study depends on what subjects you do
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

  17. #42
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Ok I misread that somewhere then (cant remember where)

    Oh..., just tell the Librarian to kick them out or something lol
    During exam time, I think a section of the library is 24/7. But that's only for a few weeks per year.

    You would be going to campus security with any issues like that. The librarian is a manager, not someone who works on the floor.

  18. #43
    Ancient Orator
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,196
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    study depends on what subjects you do
    Ok say like maths or actuarial studies since they require practice (I assume HS maths is similar to uni maths in terms of study)
    Quote Originally Posted by D94 View Post
    During exam time, I think a section of the library is 24/7. But that's only for a few weeks per year.

    You would be going to campus security with any issues like that. The librarian is a manager, not someone who works on the floor.
    Oh...

    btw how would I prep for uni exams, is it similar to HSC prep however lack of past student resources and practice exam papers? How do I access an abundance of these resources in uni coz I heard you dont get much access to past student notes and past exam papers?

  19. #44
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    Ok say like maths or actuarial studies since they require practice (I assume HS maths is similar to uni maths in terms of study)

    Oh...

    btw how would I prep for uni exams, is it similar to HSC prep however lack of past student resources and practice exam papers? How do I access an abundance of these resources in uni coz I heard you dont get much access to past student notes and past exam papers?
    For math you probably would get past papers

    you just gotta know everything

  20. #45
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by eyeseeyou View Post
    btw how would I prep for uni exams, is it similar to HSC prep however lack of past student resources and practice exam papers? How do I access an abundance of these resources in uni coz I heard you dont get much access to past student notes and past exam papers?
    Anything covered can be examined. You need to know everything if you want to do well.

    Tbh, if you need to 'prep' for uni exams, you probably won't do well. Everything is a progression towards the final exams (and future courses). You will have quizzes, assignments, tutorial questions, lab exercises etc. throughout the semester, and so you need to be on point throughout the semester if you want high marks. If you have kept up, then the exams feel just like another quiz or assignment (I've even had exams where a section was to basically do one of the labs again, so if you screwed around and copied someone else to get 100%, you certainly would have failed that exam).

    As for resources, you just have to ask around if you want to obtain the 'lucrative' past papers and notes that aren't officially released to students. You need to know people.

  21. #46
    Junior Member sourmilk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    dumb question but can you elaborate more on the 3 subject being considered as full time??

    so as a first year student i can take 3 subs, which equal to 6oc each, and in sem 2 take 4 subs, and have enough to transfer?

    also on the unsw website it says mininum 48uoc for both semesters to be considered full-time?? im lost

  22. #47
    D94
    D94 is offline
    Ancient Orator D94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,358
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by sourmilk View Post
    dumb question but can you elaborate more on the 3 subject being considered as full time??

    so as a first year student i can take 3 subs, which equal to 6oc each, and in sem 2 take 4 subs, and have enough to transfer?

    also on the unsw website it says mininum 48uoc for both semesters to be considered full-time?? im lost
    For local students, 18 UOC and above is a full time study load. 24 UOC per semester is a typical load.

  23. #48
    Loquacious One turntaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,956
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Can I get free parking during o week
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

  24. #49
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,110
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    Can I get free parking during o week
    u can try

  25. #50
    Cult of Personality Shadowdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,213
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: New and Improved! Studying @ UNSW – a guide to what you really need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by turntaker View Post
    Can I get free parking during o week
    of course you can


    how do you like 20 minute walks
    B Arts / B Science (Advanced Mathematics), UNSW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •