Phys + Maths 1st year lecturers (1 Viewer)

akkatracker

HSC
Am looking at potential timetables for myself and have been looking at the lecturers:

My options for Phys are:

Wolfe + Hamilton
Dr EJ Angstmann,Dr DM Culcer

I'm inclined to pick Wolfe + Hamilton just because it marginally fits my timetable better. Can someone comment on these lecturers?

My options for Maths are:

Mr M Pahor,Mr PG Brown
Apro A Coster,Dr JM Kress
Dr DF Mansfield,Dr DD Angell
Dr MK Massierer

Based off what people here (and my friends) are saying Pahor is a legend - he fits well into my timetables. Can anyone comment on Brown? Also can't find too many reviews on the others - am I missing out on someone better?

leehuan

HSC
Lol both of those two maths lecturers are legends. One of my mates 1-up's Pahor all the time.

And I personally had Brown last semester. And to say the least, well in 2016 he got voted best lecturer in the science faculty by the students.

Whilst lecturers do impact on how you learn, you may end up skipping lectures altogether regardless of how good they are. Focus on making your timetable itself pretty, not being in a certain lecturer's session. (But you're more than free to ask about who's good of course.)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Mr M Pahor,Mr PG Brown
Apro A Coster,Dr JM Kress
Dr DF Mansfield,Dr DD Angell
Dr MK Massierer

They're all good

And hey, Massierer got a lecturer gig - that's nice. I think this semester will be her first time teaching, but she's really nice and helpful

For instance, once I had a maffs question and I rocked up to her office completely unannounced and she and I spent 20 minutes at a whiteboard trying to figure it out. We didn't get it, but we talked through it and talked about why certain approaches wouldn't work, or why other ones would be better, etc.

HSC
How are you already looking at timetables for unsw btw? I'm planning on going there once I accept my offer (I didn't know people already got offers) so I'm kind of interested in how to look at potential timetables.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
My options for Phys are:

Wolfe + Hamilton
Dr EJ Angstmann,Dr DM Culcer

I'm inclined to pick Wolfe + Hamilton just because it marginally fits my timetable better. Can someone comment on these lecturers?
Wolfe has a more practical teaching style, but gets through the content way too slowly so he skips much of the content. If you're maths inclined, Angstmann will be good as she has a more mathematical approach in explaining concepts, i.e. does working out in class.

Don't know about the others.

How are you already looking at timetables for unsw btw? I'm planning on going there once I accept my offer (I didn't know people already got offers) so I'm kind of interested in how to look at potential timetables.
You can figure out what courses you need to do by looking at the Handbook. It will direct you to the class timetable options and you can look at the lectures and tutorials. There is also an application called Bojangles which you can use to generate some options (unofficial, so it's best to work it out by hand).

bluekoala

HSC
I had Hamilton last year for phys1121, he did lots of demonstration and also proofs, which helped a lot for the exam. I also had Brown for discrete math and I think his way of teaching is very engaging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)