How difficult is it to get a distinction average in com/arts? (1 Viewer)

HSC
In comparison to the hsc, would you say uni is harder or easier? Also are the exams a lot harder than high school (I'm only asking because it seems difficult to get a distinction average, getting this vibe from reading other posts on here). Also are marks ever aligned or is it what you get in the exam is what you are given?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

si2136

HSC
N/A
Depends on the course but I say either top 10% or 15%?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Uni is definitely faster paced than the hsc, so some people find it overwhelming with the large amount of content

Marks may be aligned but in most cases they are not

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I did Commerce and Media. My WAM was 80. I got into Dean's list in my first year. So apart from eating, sleeping, teaching and Friday night, I basically studied all the time to get this grade. Yeh I'll have to admit it's a bit inefficient but I don't care as long as I have good grade :)

engineering

HSC
N/A
Difficulty, or the perception of difficulty, is all relative, based on the your level of competence in assumed knowledge, how you learn bs how they teach, etc etc

How much more difficult was year 12 maths to year 11 maths?

How much more difficult was year 5 maths to year 4 maths?

It is all a natural progression assuming what you had done up to the previous year.

IMHO, the main thing that impacts on a student's performance as they move from school to Uni is the different teaching and learning approach required. The fact that it requires much more independence and initiative from the student, and they are often influenced by outside issues (turning 18, getting a license, going to pubs etc) can influence.

Also, the marking at Uni is often different. At high school, you get a mark of 7/10 and one often asks the teacher "where did I lose my 3 marks". At Uni, 7/10 is a credit/distinction. You might have got the answer numerically correct, but what is so special about that – anyone should do that if the lecturer gives you the equation. You need to "earn" marks by showing a level of interpretation and critique and understanding of the parameters in your response. Google something called Blooms Taxonomy.

D94

HSC
N/A
It's just the next phase in education. It doesn't really matter if it's easier or harder. You should still be aiming for 100 regardless.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Distinction average?

Considering that the average mark is around 70, if you put in a bit of effort in your courses - you should be able to get 75.

Obviously depends on your work ethic. You might find that if you just coast through and cram at the end, you'll get 75. You never know.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce is incredibly easy. It's a lot easier than HSC for sure. However I can only speak for the accounting and finance major and business law compulsory subjects for CA. They're pretty much a breeze with easy finals except acct3708. You will get a credit in that subject regardless of how hard you study for it.

Everyone I know has 85+ commerce average with their law or other 2nd degree killing their total wam. So based on that you are fine for commerce but not sure about your arts
If you use Dean's List cut-offs as a reference point, less than 5% of the Business School cohort for each year has a 85+ average.

Know someone who got a D for ACCT3708.

Definitely know Comm/Law people who aren't on a 80+ average for their Comm degree.

In comparison to the hsc, would you say uni is harder or easier? Also are the exams a lot harder than high school (I'm only asking because it seems difficult to get a distinction average, getting this vibe from reading other posts on here). Also are marks ever aligned or is it what you get in the exam is what you are given?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Really depends on the person. Some people start doing better in uni, others start doing worse in uni and some perform on a similar level.

Aligning may occur in some subjects but not all the time.

Confound

HSC
If you use Dean's List cut-offs as a reference point, less than 5% of the Business School cohort for each year has a 85+ average.

Know someone who got a D for ACCT3708.

Definitely know Comm/Law people who aren't on a 80+ average for their Comm degree.

Really depends on the person. Some people start doing better in uni, others start doing worse in uni and some perform on a similar level.

Aligning may occur in some subjects but not all the time.
Ye I was half kidding. Though the 2nd part of the post is true-ish - I hear law is a wam killer

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)