Internal or external transfer (1 Viewer)

league_of_draven

HSC
Hello!
I got an atar of 87.45 and my end goal is commerce at UNSW. However I do not know whether to take up Bachelor of Business and Arts or International Studies and internally transfer or go to Macq uni commerce and transfer from there. I did not study much last year hence my atar. Thanks.

anon1234567

HSC
Hi!!! I think it would be better if you went to Macquarie and did commerce then transferred to UNSW commerce. My reasoning is as follows:

- If you intend on doing an IPT from business/international studies then there is always the risk that you stuff up somehow and you won't have the WAM to internally transfer. UNSW commerce is very strict with their IPT applications; the WAM cutoff for UNSW commerce IPT is 75. I know someone that got 74.83 and they didn't let him in just because he was 0.17 short off the cutoff. This will mean that you also wasted a year and you'll have to wait for even longer to transfer, but there still won't be any guarantee that you'll get in (if your marks don't reach 75)

- Although you need at least a distinction average from Macquarie to transfer to UNSW commerce (which is pretty easy to get), even if you don't get in you'll still be in a commerce degree (which you actually want to do), and there are still opportunities for you to transfer again a semester later etc. At least you won't be stuck doing a degree that you don't even want to do i.e. business/international studies @ unsw. This approach has less risk compared to the first one.

Therefore I think that you should just go to Macquarie Commerce and then transfer to UNSW after a year.

Hope this helps!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
I think going to Macquarie looks better since you're not jumping around degrees, however, you would need to do much better than 75 average since it's an external transfer. But the catch is that if you were able to do much better than 75 at Macquarie, you should have been able to achieve that at UNSW, meaning you should have started with UNSW for a seamless transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)