Discrete Maths can't enroll in lecture (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
Anyone else having trouble enrolling into discrete maths? I have selected the tutorials but there is no option to select a lecture.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yeah, never delay enrolment. It's possible more spots will open up. It's all room dependent, so if they move to a larger lecture theatre, they will increase the enrolment capacity.

Shuuuuuu

HSC
N/A
What happens if they don't increase the enrollment capacity for Discrete Maths and your stuck with only 3 units for semester 1?
(Cannot enroll into the Discrete Maths course without filling out the classes)

the_matrix

HSC
What happens if they don't increase the enrollment capacity for Discrete Maths and your stuck with only 3 units for semester 1?
I'm in your case too mate :( I've been advised to take another course and then do Discrete Math next semester.

D94

HSC
N/A
You select another course to do.

D94

HSC
N/A
Does that mean you either have to do a summer course (in order to grad on time) or graduate late?

When people say 'overload' does that mean they do more than 24 UOC per sem?

Still tryna get my head around uni lmao
If you wanted to graduate with your starting cohort, then yes, you would need to find a way to make up that course, whether that's by a summer course (note that not many are offered) or overloading.

Overloading is more than 27 UOC per semester (or what is stipulated on your enrolment page). If you want to do more than 27 UOC, you will need permission.

primew

HSC
Hey D94, I am in the same boat as the other students. I am doing Computer Science but since the Discrete Maths Lecture is full, I can just do it in Sem 2 right? So I am assuming I can do my 2 free electives in Sem 1 instead of splitting it up like recommended.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hey D94, I am in the same boat as the other students. I am doing Computer Science but since the Discrete Maths Lecture is full, I can just do it in Sem 2 right? So I am assuming I can do my 2 free electives in Sem 1 instead of splitting it up like recommended.
Yes, this is fine.

primew

HSC
Meno, do you have any recommendations for Free Electives. There are so many, and I have no idea what to do. Should I do it just to pass a course, out of interest or for future employment purposes?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Meno, do you have any recommendations for Free Electives. There are so many, and I have no idea what to do. Should I do it just to pass a course, out of interest or for future employment purposes?
that one

If it's interesting and can also help your future employment purposes, great. But for some undergrads, they may not even know if a course they'll take will even be relevant.

I took COMP1927 - Computing 2, and COMP3821 - Extended Algorithms and Programming Techniques out of sheer interest. Yes, I extended my time at uni to take these courses. Turns out they loved that during one of my grad job interviews. I took ECON3123 - Economics of Corporations out of interest from a list of courses I could've done for Economics. Turns out a grad role I applied for was literally all about applying what I had learned in that course.

D94

HSC
N/A
Yes, you should do it in semester 2.

You can definitely do 2 free electives in semester 1. As for choosing them, have you considered doing a minor? http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2017/3778.html

primew

HSC
Thanks D94 for the response. It really puts me at ease knowing that I can do it in semester 2. I have considered doing a minor but I am unsure which one to take. Psychology sounds the most interesting but according to friends of mine, they said it is really boring as well as jobs are hard to find. So I am looking at Finance, Accounting, Marketing or Information Systems. IS sounds like it is most suited to Computer Science but I think that doing the other minors might allow me to pick up skills which would be easier to employ such as Finance or accounting. Which ones would you do personally?

primew

HSC
Thanks Shadow, I don't really know which courses might help me out in the future but at least if I enjoy my courses I won't be bored right?

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
HEY GUYS

It's not full; it's reserved. CompSci can still get in.

If you want proof, I posted a timetable in that timetable thread without Discrete Maths (after this thread was created, maybe page 2?) and then posted my current timetable (on page 4?) which has Discrete Maths.

http://timetable.unsw.edu.au/2017/MATH1081.html

>Please contact Markie Lugton m.lugton@unsw.edu.au

I know it says Adv. Maths, but CompSci can still get in.

I think there are only shit times left, but at least the course is there.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)