Uni workload (1 Viewer)

rikahS

HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm a first year and I was looking at the course outline for my subs and saw that most of them required us to read 1-2 chapters per week. I was just wondering how many of guys actually went through each chapter of the prescribed textbook and made notes on them or did you just rely on some other form of information, e.g. lecture slides or tutorial notes, and just made notes on these. I ask this because it's taking a hell of a lot of time to just make notes for one subject, let alone 3 other ones. So yeah, is this just the workload you have to get used to in uni or am I just try-harding way to much?

Thanks!

Mr_Kap

HSC
Depends on the subject. Some subjects you can get by with doing tutorial questions and looking at lecture slides, others you can't. Also, some lecturers have good lecture slides others dont. basically just depends on the subject and you preference of learning. For me personally with my science/computing subjects, lecture slides and tutorial questions were enough, but I'm sure other fields' subjects may be a different story

s-f

HSC
N/A
^+1 to above but also depends on how you're coping
Some people are quick and independent thinkers and can learn complex concepts sufficiently from lectures alone, whereas others might need to have a read of textbooks in addition before feeling confident - but generic rule at least in science subjects I know is that textbooks are almost never required.

Unless they say it's absolutely compulsory.
When uni says "recommended readings" = translates to "f*** this"

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Personally I only watch lectures, usually they cover the content of the textbook anyway so there's no points going through it. The only time I have done my readings is when they specifically said the lectures were not sufficient and our quizzes would be based straight of the textbook.

I got out of the habit of doing notes when I started uni and I am glad I did. I do primarily science subjects tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)