How difficult are exams for maths classes? (1 Viewer)

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
I'm currently in MATH1131 and MATH1081, but feel free to talk about other courses too.

How difficult is it to get, for example, a credit mark in their exams?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently in MATH1131 and MATH1081, but feel free to talk about other courses too.

How difficult is it to get, for example, a credit mark in their exams?
very easy, u can honestly get full marks. They are always very similar to past exams so u legit just rote learn the steps/thereoms/proofs

HSC
Uni Grad
For in-class tests, both MATH1081 and MATH1131 are generally quite easy to score at least 80-85% (these are the tests before the final). But once you go into the final then that's a different story. Many people who score very well before final can end up doing badly in the final.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
so u don't even have to do homework? maybe I shouldn't be trying so hard for Maple lmao
well the homework does help a lot and i do recommend u stay on top esp for finals, but purely for class tests what i said above still stands

aoc

HSC
where can you find past papers for any subjects? Cant find anything for mine on the library database search

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
very easy, u can honestly get full marks.
(Also quote 4025808; phone is shit for posting)
To be honest, I was expecting HSC maths kind of difficulty in order to get a spread, but I suppose in Uni you are meant to be able to pass if you actually understand most of the content.

Would you say the final exams are comparable to HSC maths?

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
Hold on.

I found this in the questions for MATH1081. Is this an entire typical class exam? For real?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
where can you find past papers for any subjects? Cant find anything for mine on the library database search
some subjects are on library some arent, u can ask someone whos a year above you or join a fb group
(Also quote 4025808; phone is shit for posting)
To be honest, I was expecting HSC maths kind of difficulty in order to get a spread, but I suppose in Uni you are meant to be able to pass if you actually understand most of the content.

Would you say the final exams are comparable to HSC maths?
yes but more predictable
Hold on.

I found this in the questions for MATH1081. Is this an entire typical class exam? For real?
it is a 20minute test, remember for math1081 you need more "proof" writing but yes

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
remember for math1081 you need more "proof" writing but yes
Of course, Im just shocked because I dont think I have ever had an exam in less than 45 minutes. And with only 3-4 questions. It's completely new to me. Do people tend to run out of time?

the_matrix

HSC
Is there another place to find past papers (and solutions is possible) beside the library online search. The links aren't loading for me and I've filed a report already.
If not is there a physical version of the math past papers in the library?

Also is anyone here selling math1131 course pack? are the course packs the same every year? (except past papers)

Last edited:

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
(image of 1081 exam)

Is this an entire typical class exam?
it is a 20minute test, remember for math1081 you need more "proof" writing but yes
I just ran through it now. You are right, the questions are fine, not particularly difficult or bewildering. Even so, 20 minutes is a short amount of time for the questions (although to be fair I don't have much experience writing proofs yet and so there was a bit of scribbling and some plain English explanations). I got about three quarters of the way through, and marked myself 5.5/10 (between 5 and 7 out of ten depending on how lenient or tough the marker is).

This is why I do practice exams.

eating

Wannabe COMP god
HSC
Not gonna sugar-coat it; how are people getting below 5/10? I saw a 1/10 in the pile. Do they just not care?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Not gonna sugar-coat it; how are people getting below 5/10? I saw a 1/10 in the pile. Do they just not care?
they dont care pretty much, ironically its the private school kids who usually fail with their egos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)