What is chemistry like at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

shumphrey

HSC
What type of maths is involved?
Would mathematics 2 unit be enough?
How similar to HSC chem (any of the applications and impact of chemistry on society Q's/ is there more theory)?
How many labs?
Are the lecturers any good?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I just finished the chemistry part of my degree at UNSW so I am probably a very reliable source haha :) So in terms of maths, it will just be some formulas-so not very demanding... so maths 2 unit is definitely enough. University chemistry is much more difficult and not at all like HSC chem, in that you will NEVER get a question about impact of chemistry on society, but rather it will just be straight chemistry, whether it be organic chemistry-where you need to work out what series of reactions you need to get to one reactant to the product through multiple steps, or identifying orbitals in atoms or explaining why certain metal-ion complexes binds better than others, you will never get an essay style policy/impact question.

There is usually one lab per chemistry subject per week, and that is around 2-4 hours depending on what chemistry subject it is. Lecturers are varied... like any uni, there are good and not so good (in terms of boring lecturers), but they all know their stuff. In uni, you will find you need to learn at a much quicker pace and beyond first year, there is no tutorials meaning you will need to teach yourself the chemistry homework/do assignments with no help other than from your peers. I had a lot of fun studying chemistry in uni, and I hope you will consider it too :)

shumphrey

HSC
So in terms of maths, it will just be some formulas-so not very demanding... so maths 2 unit is definitely enough. University chemistry is much more difficult and not at all like HSC chem, in that you will NEVER get a question about impact of chemistry on society, but rather it will just be straight chemistry
Maths: good I should be able to keep up, btw any calculus in chem, I'm semi-decent with it and it's the only topic in maths I like?

There is usually one lab per chemistry subject per week, and that is around 2-4 hours
2-4 hours holy shit that sounds sick

btw what kind of assignments do you get (some examples if possible)?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Maths: good I should be able to keep up, btw any calculus in chem, I'm semi-decent with it and it's the only topic in maths I like?

2-4 hours holy shit that sounds sick

btw what kind of assignments do you get (some examples if possible)?
No calculus at all except in rates (but that's still nothing like what you do in high school). The hardest thing about chemistry will be chemistry, not maths.
2-3 hours probably in first and second year, in third year-when I did organic chemistry, the lab was 3.5 hours (and it is hectic, meaning like master chef elimination challenge type.. but I guess it depends on whether you have an easily stressed personality or not). And you won't be bludging around in the labs.

Assignments are usually based on lecture concepts, but you sometimes have to do extra research to do it, like you get a few chemistry questions that are difficult and you answer it (and have a week or two to hand it in). You will find out when you do the subject lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)