Medical science (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
Hi i am currently an year 11 student nearly starting year 12 i was thinking about dropping a subject
My subjects are
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Mathematics
English Advanced
Ancient History
I really want to drop one of the sciences but my school says you need all three sciences to become a doctor since uni of NSW and other uni require all the three science but its too much can i still be accepted if my Atar is like 99.95 without one of the sciences

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi i am currently an year 11 student nearly starting year 12 i was thinking about dropping a subject
My subjects are
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Mathematics
English Advanced
Ancient History
I really want to drop one of the sciences but my school says you need all three sciences to become a doctor since uni of NSW and other uni require all the three science but its too much can i still be accepted if my Atar is like 99.95 without one of the sciences
You don't need any sciences for almost every uni that does medicine, it just may be assumed knowledge for a bit. The only prerequisites are for a small amount of universities, e.g. band 4 in english for UNSW. Not sure where your school is getting their info from.

Also most universities require UMAT + ATAR + interview but if you get 99.95 you can go USYD with just ATAR + interview.

http://medstudentsonline.com.au/for...-selection-criteria-y12s-non-standards.31845/

There's a very useful link to see admission into medicine.

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
I would keep the subjects you enjoy and you're good at and drop the subject you don't enjoy so much and you don't perform as well at. This is because admission to medicine is highly competitive, so you want to maximise your ATAR. If you're thinking of dropping one of the sciences, the science least relevant to medicine is physics.

Last edited:

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
In the UNSW Medicine FAQ page,

Although there are no prerequisites for entry into UNSW Medicine, we recommend that students study English for their final high school examinations. There is assumed knowledge of this subject and studying it is considered desirable for successful study in the Medicine Program. Students who do not have the assumed level of knowledge are eligible to apply, be offered a place and to enrol, but may be placed at a considerable disadvantage.

In addition, study in Chemistry is recommended.

highshill

HSC
So basically they just recommend so the student does not struggle in class so they won't reject me
Is that right

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So basically they just recommend so the student does not struggle in class so they won't reject me
Is that right
You can take bridging courses anyway and plus you can learn it while you're doing the course, they won't reject you for that. I don't do chem but bio seems to relate somewhat to medicine such as the immune response, diseases, vaccinations, antibiotics, and how the body works, so I'd keep that if you think it'll help.

A1P

HSC
What meant by abridge
It's an ~8 week course you do in the summer before starting med in March. But of the schools with prereqs specified, not all allow you to meet the requirement with a bridging course.

andrew12678

HSC
My subjects are
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Mathematics
English Advanced
Ancient History

1. Don't need 99.95 for med (except for USYD)
2. Plenty of people in my cohort wouldn't be there if this was true-including myself (referring to compulsory 3 science)
3. You should still do sciences over low scaling humanities purely for scaling (yes I believe in practicality over doing something you enjoy)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)