Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By D94

Thread: Final Marks distribution?

HSC
    N/A

Final Marks distribution?

So I found out that for the past few years , top 13 - 15% of people have received a HD in a course I do.

A HD mark = 85

If I was ranked in the top 1% or any % < 15, but my pre-exam mark was, say, 34/50 (i.e. impossible to get HD), and I ace the exam, i.e. final mark 84/100, how does the uni ensure that the top 15% get HDs? Do they scale other assessments aswell?

My aim is to get 90+ in a course, I'd have to ace the final to make it. I know for a fact (im 100% sure) the final is going to get scaled due to the difficulty of the course (pre-exam mark is in the pass range). Can you get something like 150% of marks in an assessment due to scaling?

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Final Marks distribution?

There's no requirement to scale students. There's no requirement to meet the same percentage as previous years. Your cohort could very well be crap.

Conversely, it could be deemed your assessments and final exam are beyond the expectation required in the course and a mark adjustment will be made on your final mark.

HSC
    N/A

>Conversely, it could be deemed your assessments and final exam are beyond the expectation required in the course and a mark adjustment will be made on your final mark.

Ah, so they just add a fixed amount of marks to everyon's final mark (exams + assessments ,etc?)?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by i1337 View Post
    >Conversely, it could be deemed your assessments and final exam are beyond the expectation required in the course and a mark adjustment will be made on your final mark.

Ah, so they just add a fixed amount of marks to everyon's final mark (exams + assessments ,etc?)?
    lol they did this in one of my courses cuz everyone failed the final, so I somehow ended up with HD after scaling

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    other bos-ers have a penis pic sharing club and i'm debating whether i want in on it or not

~just so i belong~
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdude View Post
    who cares about your timetable - you should be going into uni every day to study and do whatever regardless

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeMx View Post
    lol they did this in one of my courses cuz everyone failed the final, so I somehow ended up with HD after scaling
    Perfect! Just what I wanted to know. Gonna be interested in seeing this years results..

aoc
    HSC

yeah pretty sure they will scale if average is too low... For a finance course im doing this sem our midsem average was too low compared to previous years so they added around 10% to everyones marks to boost the average up a bit. I dont see why they wouldn't do this for finals as well.

Thread Information