Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: HELP

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    HELP

    i am very anxious int terms of picking a degree first year because i want to pick one that i can add my law degree onto , i put criminology/criminal justice as my first preference just because and have guaranteed entry but im worried that this could impact employment opportunities in the future because im more interested in real estate/corporate or even medical malpractice law , i have no intention of practising criminal law, however by looking at the other degrees at unsw for combined law im not really interested in commerce or anything else , what do you guys think would doing this degree hinder my chances at these law firms , would they prefer people with business,science degrees etc??

  2. #2
    Member Jakulore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HELP

    I mean, choosing a degree to double in such as commerce for corporate or medicinal chemistry for medical malpractice would probably be beneficial... Though choosing criminology won't necessarily hurt your chances either. You can go into any field realistically, and it would probably depend more on where you choose your clerkships and such.

    Just because I do Law/Media doesn't mean that I have to do media law... But it means I would probably have a bit more understanding of the area then I would have of say, Sports law or something.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

    2017+:
    Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising) at UNSW

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    I mean, choosing a degree to double in such as commerce for corporate or medicinal chemistry for medical malpractice would probably be beneficial... Though choosing criminology won't necessarily hurt your chances either. You can go into any field realistically, and it would probably depend more on where you choose your clerkships and such.

    Just because I do Law/Media doesn't mean that I have to do media law... But it means I would probably have a bit more understanding of the area then I would have of say, Sports law or something.
    yeah im aware of that but im leaning more towards real estate and commerce offers a major in real estate studies but i probably wont get into that anyways bc my atar is only 89.75 and my bonus points will only get me up to like a 92 , i feel like im just gonna end up wasting my first year do you think criminology or arts/business would be more beneficial
    Last edited by zeee1999; 19 Dec 2017 at 12:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by zeee1999 View Post
    yeah im aware of that but im leaning more towards real estate and commerce offers a major in real estate studies but i probably wont get into that anyways bc my atar is only 89.75 and my bonus points will only get me up to like a 92 , i feel like im just gonna end up wasting my first year do you think criminology or arts/business would be more beneficial
    do you by any chance have EAS bonus points?, they might help with entry into UNSW commerce, also I think you should see the career opportunities both degrees have, because if you don't get into law through IPT you will be stuck with the degree u choose now (that is, if you don't want to waste your first year of uni). If you do want to do law and not waste your 1st year, you could always do law at a different university, but then you'll have to sit the LAT for UNSW.

  5. #5
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HELP

    But seeing that you aren't interested In criminal law, Arts/business at UNSW would be a good choice. However, with your ATAR you will make It into UTS Business and then you could transfer internally into Business and Law at UTS, and even If you are unable to transfer, UTS Business is pretty damn good and the degree will not leave you unsure of what job opportunities there are available like criminology and arts/business degrees.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Unicornsarecool View Post
    But seeing that you aren't interested In criminal law, Arts/business at UNSW would be a good choice. However, with your ATAR you will make It into UTS Business and then you could transfer internally into Business and Law at UTS, and even If you are unable to transfer, UTS Business is pretty damn good and the degree will not leave you unsure of what job opportunities there are available like criminology and arts/business degrees.
    i honestly have my heart set on UNSW and in terms of transferring via the internal transfer program it seems more like a more stable option than having to externally transfer and sit the LAT bc im sure unsw prefers their own students. criminology is my first preference and im gonna get a offer but i was looking at UAC and it says this "If you receive an offer to your first preference in one offer round, you won't be considered for your lower preferences in subsequent offer rounds unless you change your preferences" preferences are locked in does that mean i cant get aother offer in janurary ??

  7. #7
    Member Jaxxnuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by zeee1999 View Post
    i honestly have my heart set on UNSW and in terms of transferring via the internal transfer program it seems more like a more stable option than having to externally transfer and sit the LAT bc im sure unsw prefers their own students. criminology is my first preference and im gonna get a offer but i was looking at UAC and it says this "If you receive an offer to your first preference in one offer round, you won't be considered for your lower preferences in subsequent offer rounds unless you change your preferences" preferences are locked in does that mean i cant get aother offer in janurary ??
    if u want to apply for IPT for law then it won't require LAT (as long as you're in UNSW) however you can only transfer semester 1 2019 (to my knowledge)

  8. #8
    Member Jakulore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    352
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: HELP

    I mean, it's really difficult to say. I would probably be more inclined to advice against Criminology in case you don't get into the law, because you probably don't want to be stuck doing that if you don't. One of my friends transferred in with Criminology, but she wants to study criminal law so...

    But ultimately it is up to you, and it could be something different since most UNSW Law students do Comm/Law.
    HSC 2016

    English Advanced: 89 English Extension: 44 Ancient History: 91 Biology: 89 Food Technology: 90 Legal Studies: 91

    2016 ATAR: 94.45 LAT: 97th percentile

    2017+:
    Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Media (PR & Advertising) at UNSW

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    HSC
    2017
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakulore View Post
    I mean, it's really difficult to say. I would probably be more inclined to advice against Criminology in case you don't get into the law, because you probably don't want to be stuck doing that if you don't. One of my friends transferred in with Criminology, but she wants to study criminal law so...

    But ultimately it is up to you, and it could be something different since most UNSW Law students do Comm/Law.
    uuuuggghhhh this whole situation is stressing me out , im 99% sure im gonna waste my first year gonna have to study my ass off so i dont end up stuck in the degree for 3 years dont know why i picked it in the first place fmd
    Last edited by zeee1999; 19 Dec 2017 at 5:45 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •