Do I need to have done HSC Biology to do BABS1201 at UNSW? (1 Viewer)

sweetxpple

HSC
Hey

I want to do BABS1201 UNSW, since its the basis for alot of majors under B Science. In the handbook it says 'Assumed knowledge: HSC Exam Score: Physics 53-100, or Chemistry 53-100, or Earth and Environmental Science 53-100, or Biology 53-100'. But when i was reading a Q&A in the UNSW Science faculty, it says that there is no assumed knowledge in biology types courses in the first year. Could someone help me clarify or give me the relevant contact details so that i can email them , etc. Thanks in ahead

captainneuro

HSC
No it means it's better to have the assumed knowledge so that you're not at a disadvantage when undertaking the sub. It's not compulsory for you to have done it as it is only 'assumed knowledge' but it's saying having done either one of those sci subs would help. Regardless you're able to choose the unit and do it anyway.

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
u will live without biology - most first year courses are just intro courses

blackbird_14

HSC
I didn't do HSC biology myself, and did fine in that course. The content is covered far faster than in high school, hence if you've learnt it already, you don't need to spend as much time on that subject, but babs1201 is designed to be an introductory course to uni, so they're very helpful to people who have no background in science at all.

baktiar77

HSC
It certainly helps but isn't necessary.

Also bio isn't like chem/physics. The latter have more application questions rather than rote-learning content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)