Will I be able to do a degree with 2 majors in 2019 (1 Viewer)

AMIRicale

HSC
Basically, I decided to transfer to unsw next year and I was wondering if I can still do 2 majors within my degree, I'm now doing bachelor of adv science (majoring in chem and neuro) and I realised that in the unsw 2019 guide it only mentions that you can only do Bsc(adv) with one major. So is that a new thing or what exactly is happening ??!

Last edited:

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately it appears you may not be able so. This isn't anything new but rather the structure of the single degree in bachelor of advanced science. At UNSW, the advanced science degree requires you to complete 12 UOC of general education courses (Total degree of 192 UOC). However, the chem and neuro majors add up to a total of 192 UOC, which will exceed the load according to the UNSW handbook.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2018/3962.html

I would advise to either contact the science faculty or future students preferably via the phone since they are the experts. :)

aoc

HSC
if possible can you do a summer course each year for your gen eds? or you could probably stay back an extra semester to finish your degree?

AMIRicale

HSC
if possible can you do a summer course each year for your gen eds? or you could probably stay back an extra semester to finish your degree?
I'm more than fine with doing that. In fact the neuroscience major has more units in unsw in comparison to other universities so that will anyway be the only option if I were to do a second major with it, but apparently I can only have one major within the adv science degree (which is ridiculous), unless I'm doing a comb eng/commerce/etc.. with adv science. I cant see any reference though to doing two majors from the science faculty. I honestly thought this was because the new changes that are gonna happen in 2019 but Suxmaths pointed out that it's always been this way.

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
I'm more than fine with doing that. In fact the neuroscience major has more units in unsw in comparison to other universities so that will anyway be the only option if I were to do a second major with it, but apparently I can only have one major within the adv science degree (which is ridiculous), unless I'm doing a comb eng/commerce/etc.. with adv science. I cant see any reference though to doing two majors from the science faculty. I honestly thought this was because the new changes that are gonna happen in 2019 but Suxmaths pointed out that it's always been this way.
My apologies, on the handbook it says " Students in the single degree program must complete a minimum of 192 units of credit." so technically you could do more units but like I said, it is best to contact the faculty rather than here.

aoc

HSC
Hmm interesting... I know a friend who started doing adv sci majoring in psych and neuroscience then ended up dropping to the regular bachelor of science (with majors in psyc and neuro) and graduating. They really do a shitty job explaining whats going in their handbook in that case.

AMIRicale

HSC
My apologies, on the handbook it says " Students in the single degree program must complete a minimum of 192 units of credit." so technically you could do more units but like I said, it is best to contact the faculty rather than here.
yeah will contact them first thing in the morning

AMIRicale

HSC
Hmm interesting... I know a friend who started doing adv sci majoring in psych and neuroscience then ended up dropping to the regular bachelor of science (with majors in psyc and neuro) and graduating. They really do a shitty job explaining whats going in their handbook in that case.
Agreed. Yeah well I actually contacted them months ago and they said it's possible (although the person who I spoke with sounded hesitant) so I freaked out when I was reading the 2019 guide and didn't see any reference to that in there.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys

captainneuro

HSC
You should be able to, I’m thinking of transferring to unsw too 2019 for same major

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Ya you can do it. Doesn't matter if u exceeed units required for your degree. The university gets more money, they're happy. That being said wi the trimester system I'm not sure how long it would tak.

sida1049

HSC
Ya you can do it. Doesn't matter if u exceeed units required for your degree. The university gets more money, they're happy. That being said wi the trimester system I'm not sure how long it would tak.
I'd be careful with this one; I'm enrolled at USYD, but they absolutely won't allow students (unless there are exceptional circumstances) to exceed the usual number of credit points. The reason is that it makes it causes complications with Commonwealth-supported places. (It's a part of the reason why I'm dropping my Arts degree.) I can't 100% guarantee that this applies to UNSW and the other unis too, but I imagine it would.

captainneuro

HSC
I'd be careful with this one; I'm enrolled at USYD, but they absolutely won't allow students (unless there are exceptional circumstances) to exceed the usual number of credit points. The reason is that it makes it causes complications with Commonwealth-supported places. (It's a part of the reason why I'm dropping my Arts degree.) I can't 100% guarantee that this applies to UNSW and the other unis too, but I imagine it would.
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 2.04.18 PM.png no problem for domestic students. I think the complication you're referring to is when students try to do more than recommended units in a single full time semester where it has those implications where its overload

sida1049

HSC
View attachment 34579 no problem for domestic students. I think the complication you're referring to is when students try to do more than recommended units in a single full time semester where it has those implications where its overload
Hmmm that's interesting. I was going for a triple major and I needed to exceed by 18 credit points to do it (in addition to the 192cp of the usual 4-year combined degree), but faculty services and Sydney Student essentially gave me an emphatic "no" on that one (on the basis of exceeding 192cp). Looks like UNSW has a more reasonable administrative rules on this kind of stuff.

KAIO7

HSC
N/A
View attachment 34579 no problem for domestic students. I think the complication you're referring to is when students try to do more than recommended units in a single full time semester where it has those implications where its overload
nah, overloading is a different issue. I also asked about exceeding the number of credit points for my degree and from what I understood, usyd doesn't allow that. So for example my first major requires me to finish 60cp of LV II & III units, and unfortunately I cant exceed that.

That's partly why I'm also going to unsw, as I'm only allowed to do 48cp for my neuroscience major which in my opinion is not enough; and also I kinda like the program and the social atmosphere at unsw.

Now here is a direct quote from the unsw advanced mathematics page:

''Students must complete exactly one approved Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) (Honours) major, and this must be declared before enrolling in Level III courses. Students cannot undertake a double major in this program.''

Whereas you're allowed to double major in the advanced science degree:

''When students choose to undertake a double major, elective courses are utilised to undertake courses for the second major. While some majors are in cognate areas and have some overlap which will enable the two majors to be completed in less than 192 UoC, other major combinations may require a student to do more than the minimum 192 UoC for the degree. This may result in additional cost and time to complete the degree requirements for the student and may have visa implications for international students''

So for the op, YES it appears you can do neuroscience & chemistry but since the neuroscience major is quite large, you might have to spend an extra trimester or two.

Im actually the one who's screwed here lol because you can have two science majors but apparently not a mathematics and science major; unless it's a part of a double degree.

I still dont understand why USYD doesn't allow students to exceed the req number of CPs for their degree(s)

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
The only downside is u might not receive hecs to do the remaining subjects. But youre allowed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)