the Shack (1 Viewer)

kini mini

HSC
I signed up for their high school tutoring program last week, strangely they didn't ask for any proof of qualifications :p. Anyone else joined yet?

B

Bambul

I've been doing it for about a year. My student was in year 11 last year and we're going on this year until she finishes in year 12. You get free food (like biscuits, something to drink, no frills tim tams, etc), which keeps my hunger away for the afternoon. I like that! :)

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by aspect
how does it pay?
Nothing - it's not for profit, just helping people out like I do here :).

I didn't even know they gave free afternoon tea until I'd already signed up!

kini mini

HSC
Re: where does it take place?

Originally posted by Soul
at the uni? what hours or days a week?
It takes place at the Roundhouse on Tu, Wed, Thu afternoons. I can't remember the exact times, you can ask the U Space people for the details :). I think they start from 4 or so, which isn't convenient if you live far away and want to get home early, but it's fine for me.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
heh yes I've signed up too...hopefully tutor Economics cos thats the only thing I'm confident in

wat r u tutoring Bambul?
and wat r u aiming to tutor kini?

B

Bambul

3 unit maths (but she dropped down to 2 unit after the prelim) and economics. My first lesson she asked me about trig/geometry and I couldn't even get the question right, let alone help her get it right! :mad:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
heh yes I've signed up too...hopefully tutor Economics cos thats the only thing I'm confident in

wat r u tutoring Bambul?
and wat r u aiming to tutor kini?
I put everything I did down except for 4U maths, where I only got 92 so could well make a fool of myself :p. I'll probably end up teaching phys, chem or Eng though.

[edit - typo]

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cool

hopefully ill get a decent person - not too dumb, but not too smart either :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
cool

hopefully ill get a decent person - not too dumb, but not too smart either :p
LOL if they were smart they probably wouldn't come, or hire a professional tutor :p

kini mini

HSC
*bump*

Dear Volunteers,
This is an email going out to all our new Shack Tutoring Volunteers for 2003. We have organised a training day for all of you on Wed 26th March (next week, week 4) from 5 until 7 pm. Training will be held in the AIR room, Roundhouse (where tutoring is usually held). This will provide an opportunity for Shack Volunteers to get to know one another and receive some important tips and guidelines for tutoring highschool students. A training manual will be available to take for all interested volunteers. I ask that especially those of you who have already begun tutoring attend the training night. There will also be a code of volunteers' rights and responsibilities that we will ask you to read and sign, so you know exactly what you are entitled to as well as your responsibilities as a Union Volunteer working with Highschool kids. It should be a fun night with some 'getting to know you' games. Please RSVP by Monday 24th March whether or not you can attend the Training. I am really looking forward to meeting you on the night, and hope that I will get to see as many of you as possible.

Those of you who applied for Shack earlier in the year should have already received my last email. Those who have been paired up with a student would have already or will soon be receiving a letter in the mail about the week 3 start. If you have not yet been matched up with a student, rest assured it has NOTHING to do with your ability as a tutor but all to do with your availabilities. I can't stress this enough as some students become very concerned about this issue. An increasing number of highschool students are continuing to apply to be tutored, so if you have not yet begun tutoring hopefully you will get to do so soon. Meanwhile you may wish to look into other volunteering options with the Union such as Learning The Lingo, The Hypesmiths Program, Oral Blitz or gaining leadership skills through the SLAP program or Students Training Students. Lingo is an opportunity to make lifetime friendships from students at uni from all countries over the world while helping them with their conversation and grammar skills. Lingo has two weekly informat chat-over-coffee meetings and will be holding a scavenger hunt at the Rocks in Week 4. They will continue to hold more fun outings throughout the year. Find out more about all these programs down at U-Space or pamphlets in Contact. Those of you interested in more volunteering opportunities, especially those dealing with elderley/the sick/underprivileged, log onto www.careers.unsw.edu.au into the volunteering section. There are many volunteer jobs available there.

Thankyou so much for Volunteering with The Shack. Just remember that you are each an invaluable member of this program, as it could not exist without your willingness to give selflessly of your time and self while gaining some very important communication, interpersonal and leadership skills. And you know what? I think you will even learn a whole lot from the student you are tutoring - I know I definitely am. Have a happy, peaceful [though it be hard in our current circumstances], safe and productive weekend. Look forward to meeting you soon-
Samia Hasasn
Shack Tutoring Coordinator
Anyone else going?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah I'll b there
I tutor at 4-5 on wednesday's anyway, so this is right after it.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Kini Mini, you realise that bump violates Bon's new policy, would you rather I made this thread a sticky?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by McLake
Kini Mini, you realise that bump violates Bon's new policy, would you rather I made this thread a sticky?
It does?! There was a valid question and some useful information there :confused:

Here's an update...

Dear All Our Terrific Volunteers,
Urgent change has been made to venue of training for this Wed (tomorrow) night. Same time but will be held in Blockhouse, level 2. Walk up stairs, turn left and it should be the fourth room on left (#107). Those coming later will need to be swiped in so here is Sophie Ford's mobile number so you can ring her if you need access in to blockhouse: 0412 853 314 (you might need to copy it down ;-) ). Sophie will come downstairs and let you in! Hope to see you soon-
Have a great night,
Samia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)