Tutorials...opinions? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
How's ppl's first tutorials been?
I reckon they are FAR better than lectures, I actually learn more in a tute than a lecture..
I like my accouting tutorial, coz we have a close knit group, there's only about 10 ppl in it, and the tutor is a cool 4th yr honours student - not some lecturer

kini mini

HSC
My accounting tutorial was pretty good, it had many more people though, 25 or so. I have Michael Pennisi and he's pretty nice, I'm happy I don't have Robert :p. But I might change mine to go to the USyd law thing :).

I agree tutorials are much better than lectures, so much more gets done :)

gl

HSC
My tut 2day consisted of the tutor going over the h/work q's. Very exciting. I don't know, maybe things get better.

Reactions: QZP

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
my first tut for legal env. of commerce today ... my tutor kept talking about cricket lol :D

but we did learn some stuff. didn't cover too much stuff tho so it was good.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I have had 2 MATH1081 Tuts, a MATH1141 Tut and a !NFS1603 Tut. All have been good, except the novelty has worn off ...

1 more

fructis
HSC
i had my first tutorial today, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

It was a particularly nice change of pace after a week of predominantly introductory lectures.

GUESS WHAT Asquithian, you are in my politics tutorial! :D

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
Originally posted by 1 more
i had my first tutorial today, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

It was a particularly nice change of pace after a week of predominantly introductory lectures.

GUESS WHAT Asquithian, you are in my politics tutorial! :D

..wouldn't it be easier to tell him in the classroom?

1 more

fructis
HSC
Perhaps easier, but far more interesting this way, he can try and guess who i am!

And aside from that, i only know his forum persona; and I think it may be somewhat peculiar to greet him irl as Asquithian.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Perhaps easier, but far more interesting this way, he can try and guess who i am!

And aside from that, i only know his forum persona; and I think it may be somewhat peculiar to greet him irl as Asquithian.
Not as hard to meet people like that as you may think ...

timmii

sporadic attendee

Perhaps I can be the end of *your* anonymity ;)

Besides, you did reveal your name previously to a discerning few... :p

Btw i agree, you can't exactly approach him and say "hi asquithian, I'm 1 more. You know, from the net..." I mean thats not only soooo cool, it has no awkwardness whatsoever... :rolleyes:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
aw but nothing can beat this:

Gal: so how do you 2 know each other? (referring to me and isaac reyes)
Isaac: ah....we met online...

and they u juz sit back and watch her eyebrow do a 360

Mill

HSC
I have Czernkowski (CHURNERS) for ACCT Tutorial. He's actually much nicer in the Tutorials I thought than it seems in lectures.

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
aw but nothing can beat this:

Gal: so how do you 2 know each other? (referring to me and isaac reyes)
Isaac: ah....we met online...

and they u juz sit back and watch her eyebrow do a 360
But I bet the value of the new (good?) friend you've met must have outweighed the gal's potential...

Oh well, all you need now is for one of them to turn around and go "omg! Malachite???" :p ;) :D

Or....you could concoct a sufficiently plausible and "socially acceptable" response. "We met in the bookshop queue, in our actuarial tutorial, at commsoc cocktail party, mutual friends etc..." :p

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by timmii

Btw i agree, you can't exactly approach him and say "hi asquithian, I'm 1 more. You know, from the net..." I mean thats not only soooo cool, it has no awkwardness whatsoever... :rolleyes:
LOL! Laz looked a bit freaked when I introduced myself :p. Definitely an effect worth achieving *evil laugh* ;)

Originally posted by Mill

I have Czernkowski (CHURNERS) for ACCT Tutorial. He's actually much nicer in the Tutorials I thought than it seems in lectures.

Mill makes a valiant attempt to get this thread back on topic :p. He couldn't be too much worse than he was making himself out to be in lectures anyway.

SkAnDi

HSC
I thought that the reticence which was so prevalent at high school would dissapear at uni.

Nope! Everone just sits there... i mean they all know the answers but no one is volunteering?

In my finance lecture, it just ended up with pretty much me and 2 other co-op people answering everything, just got sick of waiting and wasting time.

But! Tutes rip all over lectures for learning stuff, i wonder if it would be possible to get through uni with the text book, and just attending tutes?

I know that there's 2 other BOS people floating around in my math tute, i'll find out who they are next week!

B

Bambul

We're not even half way through week 2 yet! If you stop going to lectures now out of overconfidence (which believe me, most do), you will be quite surprised when in weeks 2-4 the lecturers start to speed up and cover things that you really need to understand well plus probably wouldn't have learned in high school.

On another note, I do like the accounting staff. I have yet to be taught by one that I don't like (teaching wise anyway). Just keep quiet in Robert Czernkowski, Nicole Ang and Michael Pennisi's lectures. The rest don't care too much, except for Jeff, but you just say "I was picking up his pencil" and he just doesn't have the heart to throw you out. By the way, Jeff isn't American, he's Canadian. Just thought I'd point that out.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by SkAnDi

In my finance lecture, it just ended up with pretty much me and 2 other co-op people answering everything, just got sick of waiting and wasting time.
Too true
in a couple of my tutes...accounting and micro namely, out of the 10-25 ppl there, its usually about 2 or 3 that are actively involved in discussion (including me of course :p )

Originally posted by Bambul

..except for Jeff, but you just say "I was picking up his pencil" and he just doesn't have the heart to throw you out. By the way, Jeff isn't American, he's Canadian. Just thought I'd point that out.
Which jeff, i think there's two...everett and coulton?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
We're not even half way through week 2 yet! If you stop going to lectures now out of overconfidence (which believe me, most do), you will be quite surprised when in weeks 2-4 the lecturers start to speed up and cover things that you really need to understand well plus probably wouldn't have learned in high school.
Some people are bored in micro, but I didn't do eco in year 12 so I'm taking notes like mad :p.

Just keep quiet in Robert Czernkowski, Nicole Ang and Michael Pennisi's lectures. The rest don't care too much, except for Jeff, but you just say "I was picking up his pencil" and he just doesn't have the heart to throw you out. By the way, Jeff isn't American, he's Canadian. Just thought I'd point that out.
Michael was really laying down the law today, he gave out a few face to face warnings :p.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kini mini
Michael was really laying down the law today, he gave out a few face to face warnings :p.
lol that was scary - he has that whole friendly smile, while telling ppl their first warning..weird!

Sarah

HSC
N/A
well, on the topic of knowing (or recognising ppl from bored of studies) i think i've seen Minai around unsw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)