Quick Answer Needed: B.Science and B.Science/B.Arts:question on minors (1 Viewer)

HSC
sorry about my very last minute research.. :S

Q.If i did a b.science/b.arts and found that i didnt like the b.arts part (or fail it), can i drop it and replace it with another science course?

Q.If I did a B.Science next year, how many possible minor studies can i do if i do one major study or a double major? And also if i do a b.science/b.arts, is it possible to do a major from each of the science and art componenet and a minor ??

Q. Does it cost more to do a b.science/b.arts that just a b.science

Thanks heaps :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
+GriM ReApeR+ said:
Q.If i did a b.science/b.arts and found that i didnt like the b.arts part (or fail it), can i drop it and replace it with another science course?
You cannot replace your Arts degree with science subjects, if that's what you meant. You must do a certain number of Arts subject in order for you to graduate your B Arts/B Science. You can alternatively, transfer to a single B Science degree.

+GriM ReApeR+ said:
Q.If I did a B.Science next year, how many possible minor studies can i do if i do one major study or a double major? And also if i do a b.science/b.arts, is it possible to do a major from each of the science and art componenet and a minor ??
There are many, many minors you can take, including Law, pathology, computing, marketing, languages... As you can see, you can minor from most other faculties such as laws, commerce, arts, or to minor in other sciences also.

+GriM ReApeR+ said:
Q. Does it cost more to do a b.science/b.arts that just a b.science
Yes in terms of overall cost because B Science/B arts is a 4 year degree, one year longer.
If you were talking about individual subjects, Science subjects are in band 2 HECS, whereas arts subjects are in band 1, therefore, making arts subjects cheaper. so you can work out, that in one year of studies, a B Science would be more expensive since you take 48 units of science subjects, compared to say half science and hald arts subjects in your combined arts and science degree.

I hope this helps!

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Grim Reaper, here's another response to your questions.

Q1. Yes you can drop the B Arts component if you don't like it.

Q2. With combined degrees, there are restrictions on electives you can study.

Like i know with a single B Science, you can do a minor in a subject e.g economics but say you were to do a B Science/Arts you wouldn't be able to. I stand to be corrected but that's what the faculty told me last yr. They may have changed the rules though.

The number of minors available for you will be dependent on the number of credit points you have left over once you've taken into account the number needed for your major. In some cases, it may not even be possible to do a minor.

Q3.As to the cost of your degree, it'll depend on which science subjects and/or arts subjects you do. There's a HECs booklet you can get which outlines which subjects fall into what bands.

For example, Psychology is a science subject yet it gets charged at the rate of an Arts subject. If you were to do a single B Science degree but undertake subjects like economics, they would be charged at a whatever rate business/commerce type are (not sure if they;re the same rate as science subjects are).

hope that helps

wind

HSC
There are 31 areas you're able to major in and 84 areas for minors.

At least that's what the guy said from yesterday's info day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)