where are all the computers??? (1 Viewer)

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
where are good computer labs for net access which arent overly popular ( ie the first floor of library) and can someone copile a list of labs and the number of computers in those labs that provide net access and their location.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
What subjects do you do (ie: what labs do you have acsses to?)

Remember, there are also computers on other levels of the library ...

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
the only comp labs i have access to are the math ones and the chem ones. i have realised that the commerce ones only allow commerce students. id just like to know where the computers are for normal internet usage and are not just confined to one faculty (except the library).

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I don't know anything about the chem computes, but the maths computers are alright.

As I said, there are other levels of the library that have computers. There are also computers in "Java@Java" that have free internet useage. I don't know of anywhere else ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Law computers are awesome...almost brand new...but I think u have to be a law student to get in?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by MinAi
Law computers are awesome...almost brand new...but I think u have to be a law student to get in?
I think you do :p. Though I can't usually be bothered to go up there, there are usually some free in the lift lobby :).

mannnnndy

chocoholic
I always go to the ones on level 7 of the library. there's always at least one free, its just that theyre a bit slow. The computers in the comp science labs have access to the internet but I think u need to be doing a computer course to use them. Hey mclake can u get onto the normal internet from the maths computers? I tried but I can only go to sites within unsw.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy
Hey mclake can u get onto the normal internet from the maths computers? I tried but I can only go to sites within unsw.
Oh, I forgot, It requires a special cheat somone showed me ...

You need to SSH into your cse account and then run the net from there ...

B

Bambul

You can go to Java@Java behind the Pavilions in Matthews Building or Level 1 Blockhouse (you give your student card to reception on the ground floor and then go upstairs to the computer labs). Other than that there are the Library computers (there are lots on the bottom levels) and your faculty might have computer labs.

That's about all that comes to mind, without having special priveliges (like me, I use the ones at the ComSoc office).

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by McLake

Oh, I forgot, It requires a special cheat somone showed me ...

You need to SSH into your cse account and then run the net from there ...
and what happens if I dont have a cse account?.......

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by mannnnndy

and what happens if I dont have a cse account?.......
Then you can't use with maths computers to accsess the net. Just try somewhere else ...

Originally posted by aspect
ssh?
Are you a computing student? I can explain, but there is no point if you can't use it ...

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by aspect
if u are asking whether i have a CSE account then yes i do
SSH is a program that runs a secure shell to a remote terminal. Contrast that with Telnet, which sends everything in clear (not even XORed :p ).

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by McLake

Then you can't use with maths computers to accsess the net. Just try somewhere else ...
well it looks like Im going to be hiking up & down uni until I find some closer computers:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)