Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Answers to Accommodation/Colleges questions at UNSW

HSC

Re: Answers to Accommodation/Colleges questions at UNSW

hey can anyone help me out, i have an interview at the new college and i just assumed u go to the new college building for the interview, my mother has made me rethink that and i was wondering if anyone tell me where to go for the interview
    Renewable Energy Engineering/Commerce

HSC
    N/A

UNSW Village still have palces available, as do most of the residential colleges.

Procrastinaton
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by P.T.F.E View Post
    hey can anyone help me out, i have an interview at the new college and i just assumed u go to the new college building for the interview, my mother has made me rethink that and i was wondering if anyone tell me where to go for the interview
    Hi,

yes you go to the New College building (not New College Village). It's located on Anzac Parade near Barker Street.

HSC
    N/A

When do 1st year Kenso people move in? What date?

HSC
    N/A

Whenever, cdepends upon where.

I'm moving in mid Feb.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    When do 1st year Kenso people move in? What date?
    you guys normally come in the saturday/sunday before o-week starts.
    bring your drinking hats.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkay75 View Post
    Does anyone about the payment method for the kenso colleges? I was under the impression it was a once a semester fee? Anyone feel like clarifying?
    you can pay a lump sum however there are people who pay in installments, not 100% sure the amounts and how often but people definitely have

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cabso1 View Post
    Yeah they give priority to people who live far away.
    dont know where youre getting this idea from......
    the give spots based on academic, sporting, social and cultural aspects...

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by macca91 View Post
    So you guys hear they are ripping down the Kensos next year to make way for more village-style accommodation? I heard from an extremely reliable source today that it's pretty much confirmed now, the VC hates colleges and they make no profit so yeah kensos are coming down (dunno if all at once or one by once, we heard Baxter first?) to make room for much more profitable apartments...I don't even go there and I think that's pretty low of him to be honest.
    It wouldn't surprise me if that was true.

Both the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor are attending the new Village official opening this week...

HSC

So you guys hear they are ripping down the Kensos next year to make way for more village-style accommodation? I heard from an extremely reliable source today that it's pretty much confirmed now, the VC hates colleges and they make no profit so yeah kensos are coming down (dunno if all at once or one by once, we heard Baxter first?) to make room for much more profitable apartments...I don't even go there and I think that's pretty low of him to be honest.
    This is definitely not going to happen next year........

People have been saying that "Baxter is getting destroyed next year to make way for more space etc" since 2007. While the reality is in the long run the colleges wont live, in the short term they are definitely staying.

The introduction of the village (village people......lol.........think they own the rege...........lol) opened up like 1300 or so spots, the need for more accommodation like that isnt exactly a high priority just yet. Baxter and Goldstein might be planned to be going in a few years time, but even then theres going to be a shit fight and probably wont happen. Basser probably wont go at all seeing as it is the original UNSW college and that it has the housing office too.

Not sure who your source is, would be interesting to know. Its no secret that the uni hates The Kensington Colleges, especially for Foundation Day antics etc (which is stupid as it has been a tradition for 60 years), but they have to draw the line at one point because heritage wise they need to keep them.

The independent colleges (New, Warrane, Shalom etc) will probably be safe as the uni doesnt run them, although the uni owns their buildings so could be another story.

Yeah it seems ive rambled on and youre looking for college next year, dont be hesitant at all to apply for the Kenso's, cos in terms of longevity they arent going anywhere soon.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheLightnin View Post
    The introduction of the village (village people......lol.........think they own the rege...........lol) opened up like 1300 or so spots
    1050 new places approx.

HSC

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by RideTheLightnin View Post
    Baxter and Goldstein might be planned to be going in a few years time, but even then theres going to be a shit fight and probably wont happen.
    As far as I know, the goldstein buildings are protected through heritage - something to do with the bricks they used, and hence can't be destroyed.

HSC

Hey guys know if there any spots available for TKC ?

Is there any chance at all getting into a room this late in Session 1, for session 2?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Thecorey0 View Post
    As far as I know, the goldstein buildings are protected through heritage - something to do with the bricks they used, and hence can't be destroyed.
    youd hope not

we were campaigning for basser heritage last year during the jubilee. were not going anywhere haha

HSC

Can't name source on here sorry, but they are very reliable. And yes I have subsequenetly heard that the timeframe is somewhat longer then next year, but no one seems to know for sure despite what they say. From what I heard it wasn't so much about need for new beds but more about the far higher amount of money to be made out of village style accomodation.

Also, the uni doesn't own the independant colleges' buildings; they own the land. Warrane at least is on a 99 year lease at like $1 a year, but the buildings are owned/entrusted to another group entirely and built with donations, I presume New and Shalom have the same or similar setup. I do wonder what will happen in ~60 years time when New and Warrane's leases come up though...
    name the source.....do it. haha
    warrane.......dave curran? tony shannon?
    yeah i heard the $1 thing from a mate from warrane, thats what i was getting at. good thing about that is you dont have the weight of the uni on you all the time.

HSC

Yeah we don't have to worry about budgeting and allowances or anything, very good. How do you know who Curran and Shannon are haha?
    dont know them personally, but know of them cos they rock up to the sports and shit (i did ask a warrane guy i know for their full names though lol)
    kensos find it really weird when a priest rocks up to the soccer games..........a bit awkward.......
    sounds likes its baxter warrane for rugby final right?

HSC

I've been looking at all the threads and I just have a few questions that have been left unanswered.....

At the kensington colleges..i know this is kinda a silly question bbuuttt whats the bathroom situation exactly...i get that it is shared...by the whole floor or like 10 rooms...and im guessing that its private shower areas etc. within the bathroom??

Also, is it possible to request certain interview dates...just to work around exams etc.

thanks

HSC

I've been looking at all the threads and I just have a few questions that have been left unanswered.....

At the kensington colleges..i know this is kinda a silly question bbuuttt whats the bathroom situation exactly...i get that it is shared...by the whole floor or like 10 rooms...and im guessing that its private shower areas etc. within the bathroom??

Also, is it possible to request certain interview dates...just to work around exams etc.

thanks

HSC

Hi, it says on the website that Creston College only allows 24 ppl?! I'd assume the applicants are WAY more than that. Is it practically impossible to get in? Do international students stand a chance?

Also.. After the application form, do we have to do an interview? What if I'm overseas?

Thanks!

HSC

Creston is just really small, they seem out of the loop a bit with the other colleges. It's not exclusive or anything - just small.

As for the interview process while overseas, it may be best to ask them by sending them an email.

HSC

The price of the internet is TOO DAMN HIGH.

Why?
    ATAR Aim: 75-80 ACHIEVED!
    ATAR = 81.85

Preliminary 2010
    Engineering Studies || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Studies of Religion 1 Unit || Advanced English || Chemistry

HSC 2011

Engineering Studies || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Studies of Religion 1 Unit || Advanced English

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Do any of the catered residential colleges offer unlimited internet?

HSC

Yup! But it's quite expensive, I pay $33 for 10GB's each month, unlimited is $89 I think. It's not on a contract though which is reassuring :P

Next year I'm going to use a non-college affiliated provider so it will hopefully be cheaper!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by medstick92 View Post
    Yup! But it's quite expensive, I pay $33 for 10GB's each month, unlimited is $89 I think. It's not on a contract though which is reassuring :P

Next year I'm going to use a non-college affiliated provider so it will hopefully be cheaper!
    Anyone know if the unlimited pricing thing still applies? Just moved into the new units and I'm getting through by tethering my phone at the moment.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information