Medicine@UNSW (1 Viewer)

sandydee

Anyone studying medicine?

Im in yr 12 and trying really hard to get into med.

I'd just like to know what sort of UAI's you got... I know that a UAI of 95+ allows for entry consideration, but can that guarantee entry(considering you passed the interview and UMAT test.)?

Any UMAT resources i can buy would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what are the back door entry ways into medicine...(If I don't get accepted)

Thanx:D

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
sandydee: If you don't get a reply here, u might like to Private Message either 'spice girl' or 'Weisy', as they both are in 1st yr Med@UNSW.

kaseita

you can get tutoring in UMAT

and if you manage to get through UMAT and get over 95, you've basically covered all the criteria for med.

backdoor way? well if your an overseas student, you get a better chance of getting into the interview.

otherwise you can pay

or you can go to another uni (e.g. melbourne, newcastle) and then transfer back down to sydney after a year if you do well enough (I think you can still do that)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Transferring...

My bio teacher is an UNSW student and she told me it is possible to transfer to med if you meet certain criterias in your subjects. She had a few colleagues who transferred to med... so yeah, may be this helps :) hehee... I'm trying to find out whether it is still avaliable 'cause meee also want to study med @ UNSW next year (it's not my first preference :)) but I want to combine it with adv.science (chem) which... dunno if it is possible, lol... enough talking for me, good luck!

kini mini

HSC
Re: Transferring...

Originally posted by mitochondria
but I want to combine it with adv.science (chem) which... dunno if it is possible, lol... enough talking for me, good luck!
It is possible, but you have to prove that you can handle it :). One of my friends is doing adv maths with his med in first year.

spice girl

magic mirror
i dun think it's an acceptable degree, combining science with med. If it were possible, it would've been what I would've done.

Yes I think I know the person kini mini is talking about, but I have doubts about him actually getting a recognised degree for what he's doing now.

Med itself is a lot of work...

maniacguy

Science/Med used to be available, but is no longer so.

(Med is actually 3 degrees - B Sc (Med) / B Med / B Surgery.
Doing Science/Med basically meant you could change your major in the science part of those three to some other science. It's not possible to do that anymore, AFAIK).

I think I know who you're talking about for the maths/med thing - that's probably a substitution of gen eds (well, the person i'm thinking of also does group theory, which is off his own bat :) )

kini mini

HSC
Since we're all talking about the same person, who is doing using his gen eds there as well I think, I might invite him to join this convo :p

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I know who you're talking about too! heehee

HSC
im pretty sure if u are an austrailan citizen u cant get in as a full fee paying student....though someone over my shoulder just said u might be able to if u have lived here for less than 3 years.....

with the course changes to med is it still gonna be hree degrees? and how overlaped is it going to be with science i wonder....

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Thank you people, you rock!

For some reasons I couldn't post yesterday x_X hope this is working now... anyways :)

Thank you sooooo mcuh! I actaully didn't expect that anyone would answer to my little story, lol.

I was kinda relieved when I came across this: http://notes.med.unsw.edu.au/home/medweb.nsf/website/2.2.LocalStudentsFAQ#CoursesOnOffer

See: 9. What are the medicine courses and programs offered at UNSW?

May be you'll be able to do science in 2005 spice girl :)

lol, anyways... I've got so much to saaaaay, aaaaaah, thank you people, I wouldn't know anything about it until: 1. I got into medicine @ UNSW or 2. didn't get into medicine but Advanced Science or 3. the most unlikely: 1 + 2 (excuse the pun)

Probably enough for me... hmmm... take care and I'll see yous @ UNSW next year (yes! definitely) Just don't discriminate me if I don't get into med :p byeeeeee!

P.S. 4U is a bum x_X

turtle_2468

HSC
Sorry, this has nothing to do with your previous post, but I typed this this arvo and stupid computers wouldn't let me post, so here goes..
So what do you want? :p
Basically, I'll try to get as many units as I can... but sci/med is proving a real pain to implement in UNSW. What one could probably do if they wanted to do the degree is to do adv sci first at USyd and then transfer to grad med... that is, if you feel like spending another year... in any case, science/med would be 7 years unless you accelerate a lot, and so would adv sci/med @ syd. Anyway, got more stuff to do, so will run. But check back here for more ppl who are _really_ bored of cramming their arm... (sorry for unsubtle reference)

more later...

turtle_2468

HSC
Re: mitochondria's last post

Getting around to it finally. Although it seems like he/she has had enough.. which is probably the case... but anyway. UNSW admin sucks. Most of the time...

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
disappointment

:( i've just checked e-mail and the answer is no... I have sent an e-mail to UNSW med two days ago and asked whether (under normal condition or special admission) med can be combined with adv sci... seems like i can't do med without spending another 6 years at UNSW now... pity pity...

turtle_2468

HSC
Don't hold me to this, but it does seem to be possible... just not officially, you need to be dedicated and see a _lot_ of ppl... for example, I wanted to do an extra subject, and med wasn't v happy with that initially, but after a few days of running around they consented... so it is doable to a certain extent. I'll post more as I get a clearer picture of where I (and by connection science/med) really stand

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
maybe you are right :)

well... may be you are rite... this person who replied my e-mail was so mean... I can tell by the lack of greetings, proper gramma and short syntax... well let's not get too analytical here :)

so do you mean a backdoor type of thing? 'cause I've specified "special admission" explicitly in my e-mail already...

turtle_2468

HSC
Basically backdoor. What it means is, if you're good enough, they're willing to let you do quite a few extra units in your course. Actually, you can definitely do extra units in your course, the problem is whether you can get away with paying HECS for them and not full fee. They told me I had to pay full, but I just talked to a few second years who only pay HECS for their maths courses (and that was Higher Maths 1A at that...) It will probably be easier if you a) do well in your HSC in the relevant areas and/or b) kick ass (eg a distinction average) in med. Yeah, so I'll keep looking and keep u posted..

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Thank you much :)

Thank you very much! lol... no matter what happens I'll at least be doing adv sci there next year (unless they make it 99.90)... so yeah... thanks! take care

maniacguy

Hmm...

are you sure you mean doing Sci / Med as opposed to doing Med and subjects from science?

the difference being if it's the second one you don't get your science degree at the end. med won't care[1] if you do a subject here or there, but they will not give you a degree combination that doesn't exist (and you see where this causes problems with potential employers!)

[1] much. they may be like commerce, for example, or a couple of other faculty offices and be anal about it. generally the individual school will be more cooperative than the corresponding faculty office. sadly the latter can't overrule the former.

hence, for example, the school of finance can't overrule the faculty office for commerce (except when it comes to saying subjects will/will not be available at given times - the faculty can't do much without staff to teach a subject, so the school's word tends to go)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)