which actuarial degree is better? (1 Viewer)

H.S.C

Hi, i am a hsc student, new to this forum. I was hoping if someone could tell me which actuarial degree is better? UNSw one? or Macquarie one?, i know the actuial degree at Maq has been established for quite a while, but i think i like the name UNSW more......so i am still deciding which one......can anyone gim me some hints...????:wave:

aspect

in the end it will probably be the same for you..
at mac you start doing actuarial subjects straight off. the one at mac has been around for longer, but you have to ask yourself how exactly this translates.

at unsw you start with the core commerce and maths subjects first semester, and then do actuarial courses from 2nd, and afterwards the degrees will probably be similar. You also get more flexibility at unsw if you do straight commerce, as you can pick from a fairly large range of majors/minors.

personally the location of the uni made the choice easy : 40+ minute drive or 15 minute walk

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree
the difference is flexibility. If u know u want to become a straight actuary then prolly Macq would be better because its been established longer, but if u wanna do Actuary and something else, the flexibility and the reputation of being the best Commerce and Economics faculty in the Australasian region is hard to go past.

H.S.C

Ok, thx....i know the acturial degree at Maq has been established longer..but i heard that the one(from my friend's friend) at UNSW is even harder than Maq...is this true , what are your views?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
ok ok
let's shift the bias abit towards mq now (from sum1 who does actuarial)

Macquarie actuarial has been established for a while (we're the first uni to teach actuarial and be recognised internationally in australia). The actuarial degree at unsw has been established for a few years and the main lecturer is a graduate from macquarie.
With that being said, people don't just enrol into mq because it's got more experience.

It's funny how you guys talk about flexbility at unsw, because mq is meant to be the innovation uni.
You can combine actuarial with applied finance, economics, maths, statistics, computer science, or law at macquarie.

Here's something that'll really help you decide tho:
The actuarial exams at unsw are easy. Last year's 2nd yr final exam was an exact copy of the previous yrs' (which was accessible). A high proportion got into the 90s. On the other hand, the actuarial exams at mq are hard and have a high failure rate. Because of this contrast, mq has a reputation for quality actuaries (unsw doesnt really even have one because it's still new).
What does this mean? It means you can have a good time at unsw but finish with a 70% chance of employment. Or a stressful few years at mq and feel wanted. The choice is yours.

But some info regarding the uai trends at mq. The acceptance quota in the past has been 150 students. However, for the past 2 years, around 180 have been accepted. Some lecture halls have been overcrowded, I don't think they'll continue to increase quota. With that being said, even witht he extra intake, this year's (ie. for hsc students from last yr) uai cutoffs have all increased. I doubt this trend won't continue.

I had the same decision problem as you last year. But easily for me, I live right next to mq. So...watever suits you.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
From someone (not myself but someone I know) who was originally enrolled at UNSW for Actuarial Studies. She asked the people there (at UNSW) and they, themselves, said that if you want to Actuarial and become an actuary to go Macquarie because UNSW doesn't cut it.

The course at Macquarie is well established and so is it's reputation for actuary graduates.

But I do agree with the above comments in regard to flexibility in terms of transport. Go to the closer University. That's how I chose!

Cheers. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Wasn't meaning any bias
I'm obviously agreed that Macq actuary is better no dispute, just stating that if actuary isn't the primary objective, (ie, want actuary knowledge for career flexibility) then UNSW might be better cos of its prestige and reputation in Asia, wide range of double major choice within Commerce, and combined degree options. But if the purpose is to work as an actuary, then yes, of course Macq.

kaseita

well, as an actuarial student at unsw, I'd have to say that what we're doing at the moment is definitely not easy.
though I can definitely say that the exams previously were quite easy - which really sucked, cause the past papers didn't really give much preparation for the assessments or the exam.
however, I haven't started the actual actuarial subjects yet, so maybe they are as easy, but I can't say.

all I know is that the idea of this year is to 'cull' out the people who aren't suitable for actuarial studies.
for what I've been hearing from macq friends, the subjects haven't been particularly hard this semester, have they? you get into the meat of things later too.

one thing though, is that i would've gone to macq too if I wanted to be an actuary. however, I didn't really decide what I wanted to do until enrolment day at unsw (and then, that was because actuarial studies was the only subject in commerce, which you couldn't transfer into at a later date, if you wanted to - unless you felt like wasting a year)

actuarial studies is basically still experimental at unsw - we're like the guinea pigs ;).
you'll find you can combine your degree with basically anything you like (probably the same at macq) - like I'm doing actuarial and physics, which really don't have very much in common, apart from maths.

but that's all I can really say.
being an actuary is still a fairly niche market, so if you do well, getting a job shouldn't be that hard (of course, you still need to have the necessary skills for the job).

maniacguy

It would depend on where you feel more comfortable. I felt more comfortable at UNSW, so I'm doing Actuarial/Maths there now (despite Macquarie offering $5000 in scholarships and being quite close).

==============================================
Here's something that'll really help you decide tho:
The actuarial exams at unsw are easy. Last year's 2nd yr final exam was an exact copy of the previous yrs' (which was accessible). A high proportion got into the 90s. On the other hand, the actuarial exams at mq are hard and have a high failure rate. Because of this contrast, mq has a reputation for quality actuaries (unsw doesnt really even have one because it's still new).
==============================================

The exams at UNSW aren't easy, but they aren't all that hard either. I suspect that the lecturer may have been responsible for the second year exam you're thinking of, because I know last year's second years were complaining the exam was too easy, and she'd only just joined the staff. It's been a bit better this year though - one of our tutors (a Macquarie graduate) mentioned that what we were doing seemed much harder than what he'd had to do at Macquarie [although her exam was still too easy, relatively speaking].

On the other hand, this makes sense, since standards are theoretically rising everywhere. To compare properly with Macquarie, I'd have to see a Macquarie exam - are those available online for comparison?

I do agree that Macquarie has the better reputation, though, since it's been established for a longer time (UNSW only started in 1999). If it helps your decision, I'm pretty sure that ANU and Melbourne are both offshoots of Macquarie (i.e. got significant help from Macquarie).

I'm more into the Maths, so I picked UNSW on the basis that their Maths department offered enough to make it a more attractive package overall as well [though I'm still not happy about the fact that the UAC guide has a "B Commerce / B Advanced Science" listed for UNSW when the course doesn't exist :mad1: , since that contributed to my decision at the time] :chainsaw:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Hey, Malachite, why are we bothering advertising the merits of the ACST program at MQ, when we can let these people go to UNSW to do ACST. That's less competition for us when we're looking for jobs. :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kaseita
all I know is that the idea of this year is to 'cull' out the people who aren't suitable for actuarial studies.
for what I've been hearing from macq friends, the subjects haven't been particularly hard this semester, have they? you get into the meat of things later too.
How can they "cull" people, when your even doing ACST subject yet?

Who are your MQ friends doing ACST cos most people you'll talk to AFTER the exams there are definitely not saying the subjects are not hard. The final exam (for most of us) was ACST151 and many people think they failed. And this is meant to be an easy subject.

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i have to admit the past acst151 exams haven't been hard. But this year with the intro of MC in part a, with those 10 guessing competition questions, it was hard...
i hope i pass!

guesswho

HSC
maybe in terms of hours per week and a comparison between the two uni's

kaseita

flying: I'm just exaggerating - i.e. they give us all the maths first, and that tends to take out everyone who's not really capable in that field.
I haven't talked to them about the exam. I just got told that the workload itself wasn't that bad.
do you know alex kwa, or leon? (can't remember his last name)
that's the ones off the top of my head

H.S.C

Hi, everyone. Thanks for giving me valualbe opinions. It seems that everyone is leaning towards towards Maq. Also, i heard my friend siad that his friend just finsihed actuarial degreee at unsw, and he is now doing master at actuary at Maq,(coz he said there is no master of actuary at unsw), so does this mean when u finish the act degree at unsw, u got to come back to Maq?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
flying: I'm just exaggerating - i.e. they give us all the maths first, and that tends to take out everyone who's not really capable in that field.
I haven't talked to them about the exam. I just got told that the workload itself wasn't that bad.
It depends, some just study and that's their semester. While others just party and cram. So it depends on the individual. (And whether they do the 8-hour-a-week Accounting homework, which I never do. :D)

I don't think I know them.

Last edited:

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC

*Mr "While others just party and cram" steps in* :p
is dat alex from knox grammar and leon from baulko?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If it's that Alex, then I know him ... But I don't think that's the right one ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)