UNSW co-ops (1 Viewer)

*~aqua~*

i'm currently considering applying for a co-op at UNSW, probably actuarial or accounting, but i'd like more info from people who actually do it.
Anyone who answers these Qs would be very helpful indeed :)

1. is it very stressful
2. is it beneficial
3. would you recieve better career prospects once you graduate
4. is the co-op at UNSW better than the one at say UTS
5. do you have to be school captain/prefect to obtain one

Thanx

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I applied for one, so I can answer 5.

No, you don't need to be a captain/vice captain etc to get one, of course it helps however ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
An old member here called SkAnDi is an Actuarial Co-op
I could ask him for some insight..

maniacguy

Answering in reverse:
5. No you don't.
4. I can't say because I don't know what the Co-op at UTS is like.
3. You may - there's a work experience component built in, so if you get on with your employer during that time then they'll probably invite you back. There's nothing that binds you to accept, or binds them to offer, but it can't hurt.
2. You get $12500 per year plus a work experience component. Of course it's beneficial!
1. If you're doing actuarial it probably won't be more stressful - all actuaries need credits anyway. It's just that the penalties are greater if you don't get them (I'm not sure how strict they are about not getting credits in specific subjects - I know that if any co-op fails a subject they lose their scholarship in actuarial. Plus you have to pay back all the money you've gotten up to your last IT placement. Which is quite a lot...)

As someone observed "Almost all the smart actuaries (i.e. the ones likely to get all their exemptions at UNSW first time around) are either Co-ops or double degree students"

I'm not going to incriminate anyone on that statement...

*~aqua~*

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful
you've just inspired me to apply even more, coz at first, i just wanted the practical experience and get a foot in the door b4 everyone else, but wow, i didn't know that you get so much money! ;)

kaseita

uh, don't let the money part trick ya

that's quite little compared to what you get once you start working - its more of a lil spending money inbetween.

plus, the whole job itself is very demanding - study plus work means alot of commitment.

maniacguy

The money does definitely come in handy, but remember - you have to keep up the standard or you have to PAY IT BACK (make sure that part is emphasised).

As for the study + work part - you have to do that during the second half of third year and first half of fourth. The Co-ops I know seem to be coping...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I do compsci co-op.

1. is it very stressful
No, but you have to maintain an average (usually Credit) and pass all your subjects to keep the scholarship. That's a lot of pressure if you hate a subject.

2. is it beneficial
Yeah, other than the bling bling there's the IT, which will probably help immensely when you go and try to get a job. You'll also have contacts already from all the co-opy stuff (there's a lot of it).

3. would you recieve better career prospects once you graduate
Other than what maniacguy said, you're still in the same boat as every other graduate. At the moment, the job market is CRAP. It's more right-time-right-place.

4. is the co-op at UNSW better than the one at say UTS
That depends on what you're interested in. Obviously the money is a plus at UNSW, but if you don't like the uni then you're not going to like the degree.

And 5 was answered already. But it helps to have DONE stuff which can demonstrate your ability to be a good leader.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Oh, and you can't do a double degree with co-op.

haz_it_all

what was the interview like? wat kinda questions did they ask ya and did the interview date clash with ur skoolies cuz they are sayin interviews are on durin december!! SKOOLIES IS IN DECEMBER TOOOO!!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
what was the interview like?
Scary. I had never done a formal interview before and I felt a bit under-prepaired ....

wat kinda questions did they ask ya
Genral questions from the form you fill out. Then I had one about weather I would reveal if a friend had cheated, that was hard ...

and did the interview date clash with ur skoolies cuz they are sayin interviews are on durin december!! SKOOLIES IS IN DECEMBER TOOOO!!
I didn't go to schoolies, but yes, they are in december. Apparently many people leave for schoolies right after the interview ...

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by McLake
I applied for one, so I can answer 5.

No, you don't need to be a captain/vice captain etc to get one, of course it helps however ...
which one did u apply for?
i was an idiot ... i shouldve applied for one :mad1: oh well, too late now :(

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
go coop!
it makes you very lucrative when you graduate because you have experience. And no matter how good someone's uni marks, employers prefer experience.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by haz_it_all
what was the interview like? wat kinda questions did they ask ya and did the interview date clash with ur skoolies cuz they are sayin interviews are on durin december!! SKOOLIES IS IN DECEMBER TOOOO!!
the interview was like any other interview - you're put in with a panel comprised of a uni rep and an IT sponsor rep (could be three people though). You'll be asked questions about your application, so photocopy it, and asked to go into depth about certain answers you've given. They'll also ask you why you want to do that course - if you've applied for more than one Co-Op scholarship they'll ask why you chose the other one and why you ordered them in that preference etc.

YES the interview dates usually clash with schoolies. I missed four days of schoolies because I came home early to go to the interviews. But put it this way: if you're more interested in going to schoolies than getting a $50k scholarship, that pretty much sums up your attitude to the scholarship :D

Mill

HSC
Originally posted by McLake

Genral questions from the form you fill out. Then I had one about weather I would reveal if a friend had cheated, that was hard ...

What did you say? That's a mad question.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Mill
What did you say? That's a mad question.
I said that I would confront the friend first, and if they didn't take any action then I would go to the lecturer/tutor ...

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
go coop!
it makes you very lucrative when you graduate because you have experience. And no matter how good someone's uni marks, employers prefer experience.
Well, it depends... if they managed just Credits... and someone else... managed Distinctions... then, the person with Ds might get the job because they don't require such a high starting salary, who knows? :D

Mill

HSC
Smart...
I think I would have said I would confront the friend first, and then I don't know what I would say. It seems a bit of a lie. Would you REALLY tell on a mate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)