Late round med interview (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Here's my dilemma (copy and paste from another thread):

My pricipal is new (started this year) and i've never even talked to him before. He's not even sure on how the UAI is calculated ("They count the best 10 units, don't they?" - him asking me), i don't know which (if any) of the teachers he's talked to, cos my phsy teacher thinks i'll get over 90, and my chem teachers says i should get about 90, my english teacher says high 80's, and maths mid 90's for 4u and 3u (although my maths teacher is not here atm). Now you'd think these results would get me around 99 right? We'll apparently not according to my pricipal - he gives me a prediction of 96... wtf? This effectively screws my chances of getting an interview for med...

Will it still be possible to get into med through late round interviews or anything?
Man i'm pissed, it'd be ok if i missed out on med cos i wasn't good enough, but like this......

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
He's not even sure on how the UAI is calculated ("They count the best 10 units, don't they?" - him asking me),
Yep it is your best 10 units that count, however 2 units of English must be counted in these. So really it is your best 2 units of English, plus your best 8 units of everything else (possibly including English as well, if you do English extension).

With marks like that I'm pretty sure you should get in the high 90s anyway, so don't worry about it too much, maybe others here can give a more accurate estimation of your UAI (or if you're really desparate to find out, then give Lazseeker/UAIseeker a try).

Or maybe you could also try a misadventure appeal if worst comes to the worst, a girl in my school got her offer accepted for a really lame excuse which was that they were building some large building near her house, and it was making alot of noise so she couldn't study. :)

N

ND

They say minimum UAI is 95, but without at least 98, you're not gonna get in.

With marks like that I'm pretty sure you should get in the high 90s anyway, so don't worry about it too much,
I'm not worried about my actual UAI, i know that it'll be around 99, what i'm worried about is that i won't get an interview at unsw because of the low prediction.

He changed it to 97, and sent it off... Will i have any chance at all of getting a main round interview with 97?

N

ND

Yeh it's in the CV.

and even if the prediction is 97 ... surely if you get 99+, theyd still accept you because of what you got, not of the prediciton
Yeh, but the interviews are in Sept, which is why they rely on a prediction. I'm not sure how the late round interviews work, which is why i'm asking this here.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
dunno.... if you do really well in umat then you got a chance of the 1st round interview. But if you can get 99 UAI and missed out a first round interview purely coz of ur uai mark then im sure you can get in2 the 2nd round interview at january.

Edit: i heard that the late round interviews work on the basis of some1 significantly exceeding one's estimated uai, as long as your umat score was high enuf as well

Last edited:

stinger

Banned
A place where something is or could be located
i think the sept interviews would be for non year 12

i mean, if there was someone who had a predicted uai of 99+, who did well in umat and got an interview ... but then actually only got a uai of 94, then the interview would be a waste of time

is the sept intervies including year 12?

N

ND

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
dunno.... if you do really well in umat then you got a chance of the 1st round interview. But if you can get 99 UAI and missed out a first round interview purely coz of ur uai mark then im sure you can get in2 the 2nd round interview at january.

Edit: i heard that the late round interviews work on the basis of some1 significantly exceeding one's estimated uai, as long as your umat score was high enuf as well
Cool, that's good to know. Just another thing, if that are held in Jan, how does that interfere with the UAC pref things? Aren't they released in Jan too?

N

ND

Originally posted by stinger
i think the sept interviews would be for non year 12

i mean, if there was someone who had a predicted uai of 99+, who did well in umat and got an interview ... but then actually only got a uai of 94, then the interview would be a waste of time

is the sept intervies including year 12?
Yeh, they are for yr12 too.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
Cool, that's good to know. Just another thing, if that are held in Jan, how does that interfere with the UAC pref things? Aren't they released in Jan too?
the late interview is in early jan while UAC offers is in late jan so that gives them time 2 consider the late interview people.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I was sent some statistics a while ago... apparently this is the distribution of UAIs for all students (inc. transfers etc) receiving offers to Med at UNSW for this year -

8    100 (0)
    164    99.00 - 99.95 (36)
     43    98.00 - 98.95 (0)
     17    97.00 - 97.95 (8)
      5    96.00 - 96.95 (0)
      9    95.00 - 95.95 (2)
      5    90.00 - 94.95 (2)
      1    85 - 89.95 (0)

Median: 99.50
Mean:   98.94
St Dev:  1.57

The figure in parentheses is the number of students who had the program listed as their second preference instead of their first.

D

d00d

instead of worrying about the UAI u should worry about the UMAT, because that is the thing that will determine whether or not u get a main round interview

N

ND

Originally posted by stinger
oh ok ...

so when do umat scores come out?
Mid sept (i think).

instead of worrying about the UAI u should worry about the UMAT, because that is the thing that will determine whether or not u get a main round interview
I am worrying about the UMAT, believe me (esp. section 3 type 2).

N

ND

Originally posted by Lazarus
      5    90.00 - 94.95 (2)
      1    85 - 89.95 (0)
Wow.

Huy

HSC
N/A
that means ive still got a chance!! :p

havent received my cv back yet from the principal
one guy got a predicted uai of 92!
when i can say that he'll be a 98-99

(new principal btw)
i hope i dont get the same prediction, or any worse... lower than 92!

i'll have to prove myself in the umat :D

inki

don't worry too much it's not all on ur UAI u've got to do gd in UMAT as well
and neway it's jus a prediction u've still got time to improve
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)