100 level units for SOC/PSYCH (1 Viewer)

^___^
HSC
Er, hi

im asking this an exchange student, due to be here in a few weeks time

She wants to do a relaxing elective(given she wants time to explore the city), with the subject leaning towards sociology/media/psych

can anyone give me suggestions on what she should take?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Well, she wont be allowed to do any psych units, so thats pretty much out of the question... Unless she has approval from MQ to do them.

I did SOC180 (but its a 2nd semester unit) which was really great, quite laid back and easy to keep on top of. I also enjoyed ANTH106, but that workload was a bit heavier.

In the end, if she sticks with something like soc, anth or another artsy kinda unit, she should be fine... That said, as you know, they all require some degree of work and slight dedication to pass! :D

Maybe Glitter and Asy can help?

HSC
N/A
But SOC180 was "discontinued" after last semester :'(

Otherwise I would have suggested that as well.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
What?! No way, why did they discontinue it? It was great - sex on legs! :(

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
What?! No way, why did they discontinue it? It was great - sex on legs! :(
I don't know why, but they said that it wouldn't be carried on to the next year :(

Another option I'd recommend is ARTS100. Decidedly more artsy but still REALLY fun. To date it's been my favourite unit so far...!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
glitterfairy said:
I don't know why, but they said that it wouldn't be carried on to the next year :(
i think its becoming sgy120 (according to e-reserve)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, i should've turned up for the last 2 lectures :p didnt know that

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
glitterfairy said:
What's sgy stand for?

*brightens up at prospect of soc180 still being alive*
LOL i dont know if its really that or not...i just searched SOC180, and SGY120 was next to it...which looked weird. Although i don't think SGY is in the handbook...maybe it doesn't even exist :p SGY would probably stand for Sociology or something...

Its disturbing i know a little too much about this subject...when i didnt even do it lol...i i wish i did it last sem tho (how could u miss lectures Mike!!) ;)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Well, she wont be allowed to do any psych units, so thats pretty much out of the question... Unless she has approval from MQ to do them.
Why is that?

HSC
N/A
Psych is a bit like some business subjects where you actually have to be accepted into particular degrees in order to do the course at all (let alone prerequisites). Humanities/SCMP on the other hand, rarely require anything other than the UAI cutoff (if that).

Hmm...

absent

on so many levels
HSC
the lecturer, e.de la fuente, said he's been offer another position or something, and would no longer be running the course. i believe it was higher up than course convenor or something!! anyway, cause he wouldn't be around to do the lectures, they got rid of the course.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Oh really, damn, he was one of the better lecturers in that 'artsy' department :p

HSC
Im doing SOC175 ... its pretty interesting its About Australian and Global Societies..

the assessments arn't too hard either..

HSC
N/A
absent said:
the lecturer, e.de la fuente, said he's been offer another position or something, and would no longer be running the course. i believe it was higher up than course convenor or something!! anyway, cause he wouldn't be around to do the lectures, they got rid of the course.
Really? wow... I liked Eduardo.

He's the lecturer for soc289 - which I do ;)

absent

on so many levels
HSC
Thaks for putting in his name, I couldn't think of how to spell it!!! He wasn't bad, like I said, I thought he was offered another position, but I may have been wrong- only half listened in that lecture, but am pretty sure that's what happened!!

But bottom line is, it was cancelled because he wasn't able to do the lectures anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)