macq student council (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
i heard that all unis have a council where they would help u with editing essays and etc.

does anyone know if macq has one and where i should go

thanks ;)

philly17

There isnt help with that on council. But we do have academic writing help it should say in the unit outline in most of ya 1st yr courses

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Argonaut said:
I don't go to Macquarie (I'm at UNE), but I can tell you we have no such 'council'. We have our subject mentors and an Academic Skills Office, but they can only help you so far, mostly with regards to referencing and essay writing skills. They CANNOT help you write or edit an essay; to do so could be considered plagiarism, and they've gotten people on less. If you ask someone (ie a mentor or tutor) to help you, they'll usually say no.
Oi! Get back to your forum! :p

As Marchetta said, linguistic's has a program thingo where they can read over what you've written and give you some feedback. Obviously they cannot write it in any shape or form: they merely provide you with feedback.

There also used to be a writing thingo down near the Queer room, but I dont know whether its still there or not. I've never used these services (just the things you learn as a mentor!)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
MaryJane said:
There also used to be a writing thingo down near the Queer room, but I dont know whether its still there or not. I've never used these services (just the things you learn as a mentor!)

There's a queer room? really? where???

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
Down near the Atrium, down the stairs near the outside umbrellas with benches and such. Don't go there. It's full of camp, disgusting stereotypes that just want to fuck you. It's so ironic that these splintered creatures go on about gay rights, yet act like such brainless vessels for drugs.

blu-rose -- what subjects is this for?

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Down near the Atrium, down the stairs near the outside umbrellas with benches and such. Don't go there. It's full of camp, disgusting stereotypes that just want to fuck you. It's so ironic that these splintered creatures go on about gay rights, yet act like such brainless vessels for drugs.

hehehe i'll keep that in mind

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
And remember to tell us, so we can..umm film ;)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
AsyLum said:
And remember to tell us, so we can..umm film ;)
AHAHHAHAHA

Excellent idea for the photography club ;)

We can make millions, and take over the world?

I would like to get an outsiders comments on my resume. Asy, Rob? yOu GhUyZ aRE goOD aT teH EngRisH?!?~~

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I can't seem to get hired :(

But I'll look at it, send it over :)

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
clairegirl said:
of course there is!

and it's called Queer Space. and we're very nice and friendly people.
we won't jump you or anything. unless you ask.

we have a documentary screening on 5th April (this wednesday) QueerSpace. 6 pm.
Food and drinks will be provided.

[/ends advertisement]

X

xeuyrawp

Ollz San said:
and we're very nice and friendly people.
we won't jump you or anything. unless you ask.
Maybe it's just the guys that are disgusting?

redruM said:
I would like to get an outsiders comments on my resume. Asy, Rob? yOu GhUyZ aRE goOD aT teH EngRisH?!?~~
I've looked at some resumes in my time :(

If you still need advice, email it.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Maybe it's just the guys that are disgusting?

I've looked at some resumes in my time :(

If you still need advice, email it.
If it isn't too much of a hassle....

Email sent. :)

**blu_rose**

HSC
PwarYuex said:
blu-rose -- what subjects is this for?
its for media/communications

i finished my essay but wanted to get it checked whether the structure and layout of it is correct...whether it matches the uni standards

btw, when u add long quotes in ur essay are they included into the word limit u have

X

xeuyrawp

**blu_rose** said:
its for media/communications

i finished my essay but wanted to get it checked whether the structure and layout of it is correct...whether it matches the uni standards

btw, when u add long quotes in ur essay are they included into the word limit u have
Quote is the verb, you mean quotation. :p

Usually it won't be, but it's very bad practice to include bulks of long quotations in your essay. Unless the author said it better than you can paraphrase, don't quote.

I don't know anything about media, so maybe send it to Asy or someone.

**blu_rose**

HSC
oh i c, i haven't added any big quotations (lol) as yet, but i was lookin at a sample essay and it had some, so i thought it might be good to have one

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Hmm... in all my subjects, quotes have been counted in the wordcount, as have in-text references. Footnotes only are if they specify that. So maybe you should actually check with the coordinator or tutor.

As Pwar said, using long quotes, or too many quotes is bad practise. All it shows is that you know that such-and-such said that, but it doesnt show any critical understanding or analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)