referencing in essays (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
i've been told that it is vital to include some parts of lectures and tutorials in essays...so i was just thinking, how would we reference something that was raised by the teacher or lecturerer or student?

also i had an interview with a psychologist in regards to my topic in my essay and when i speak abt him should i refer to him as Dr... or just refer to his last name like i would with any other theorist/psychololgist/author from a book? (i know at first mention im supposed to have the full name, but i mean what do i do afterwards?)
and what's the correct referencing to use for him in the bibliography?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
First off, what subject/college are we talking about? Each has it's own style -- ie psychology is different to law, but some other disciplines don't care as long as its consistent (or appears as such), or have some other preferred style (ie Harvard) which may or may not be used across yet other disciplines. I'm a psych student, and the APA (American Psychological Association) style appears pretty well accepted, perhaps in part due to being pretty similar (ie has a few extra commas here and there) to the Harvard which is also pretty well accepted. Generally google searches on how to cite turn out relatively accurate if you know the terms you're looking for, but if you're really enthusiastic you could go to the APA handbook (available in the library) or a similar guide and check it out.

In APA, "Personal Communication" is cited in-text, but not included in the refernece list (According to http://mit.imoat.net/handbook/apa-cpc.htm, anyway). The in-text reference would then be, in the above webpage's example:
A. P. French (personal communication, April 18, 1994)
...Assuming you're using APA...

Regarding citing lectures/tutorials, I try to avoid it because the person talking through the lecture have a source themselves. Ask your tutor/lecturer for some example sources. Otherwise (ie if simply an opinion of the lecturer held by noone else), I assume you'd do the above.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think that referring to the lecturer or tutorials is actually quite detrimental, as it almost shows a sense of desperation.

Besides most if not all of the information can be sought out using theories which can be traced to books etc.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
**blu_rose** said:
i've been told that it is vital to include some parts of lectures and tutorials in essays...so i was just thinking, how would we reference something that was raised by the teacher or lecturerer or student?
who told you that? are you able to ask them exactly what they mean? because it's likely they meant that you should include info raised in the lecture or tute, because essays are likely to be on topics raised in your lectures and tutes. but that also means you have to find your own source, as the others said. you can't just reference something from a lecture.

**blu_rose**

HSC
umm our tute told us...we should show evidence of info from lectures

"include info raised in the lecture or tute"

isn't that what i said in my post

hmm maybe i misunderstood lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, so i think your tutor probably meant that you have to show evidence of info from lectures, but it doesn't mean that you cite the lecture as a source, you find other sources with that particular info in it.

edit: check with your tutor, don't want to tell you the wrong thing :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)