A couple of questions. (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Firstly, the course i want to do at macq is Actuarial/Ec, which last year had a cutoff of 98.7. Now considering recent trends + the prediction that all cutoffs will increase, i'm guessing that this year's cutoff will be above 99. If i don't get a UAI high enough, would it be better to do act/applFin and transfer to Ec 2nd year, or do just straight actuarial and transfer? How hard is it to transfer, and how much longer will it take?

Also, is there any kind of accommodation at macq? Either in the form of colleges or something like SUV at usyd?

Thanks for any info.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Okay, here's the truth... If you have the UAI for just plain Actuarial Studies, which would be around 97 to 98 (maximum) for 2004, then come. Transferrin' from Actuarial Studies to Actuarial Studies plus whatever is easy, provided you're not failin' and doin' alright (after you're first year). And you'll end you're degree (provided you get your exemptions) in the same time as everyone else. This is because they have a generic first year program for Actuarials so you won't be behind.

In terms of accomodation, there's two or three places Dunmore, RMC and another place? Isaac?

RIZAL

HSC
Yeah it doesn't really matter at all if you enroll in a certain Actuarial course and then decide to change to a different double major. Basically all Actuaries study the same stuff first year and changing in 2nd year isn't a hassle at all (from what I've heard).

An exception IS Acst/Economics however, as people studying this double major are meant to study Macroeconomics first semester. Would this affect changing over? If ND doesn't make the cutoff, should he enroll in the straight Actuarial Course and make sure he takes up macro instead of COMP115 in first sem? What do u guys reckon?

Yeah, there are three colleges at Macquarie. Robert Menzies College (where I stay), Dunmore Lang College and Macquarie University College.

Robert Menzies and Dunmore are fully catered (they provide clean sheets, vaccum your room and provide 'food'), whilst MUC is basically an apartment with a common living and cooking area for every 4 or so rooms (from what I've been told).

Both RMC and DLC are great colleges. If you really like to party and drink alcohol then DLC is the place to be, since RMC doesn't allow alcohol on the premises. That's not to say that RMC people don't have fun, and weekly trips to the Unibar and Darling Harbour atest to that.

Which college has the better chicks? Well it's close, with RMC having a lot of international girls from all over the world while DLC has some OK (albeit loud and sometimes arrogant) Americans.

Otherwise, not much separates the two colleges.

You'll have a lot of help in your studies at either college. RMC has a lot of smart actuaries including a straight HD 2nd year boy and the magnificent REILLY (malachite and flyin' will tell you how good he is). Reilly is actually from coff's harbour too.

Anyway, come to RMC so we can have two Nissan Silvia's in the car park. ;)

N

ND

Originally posted by Isaaq
Yeah, there are three colleges at Macquarie. Robert Menzies College (where I stay), Dunmore Lang College and Macquarie University College.

Robert Menzies and Dunmore are fully catered (they provide clean sheets, vaccum your room and provide 'food'), whilst MUC is basically an apartment with a common living and cooking area for every 4 or so rooms (from what I've been told).

Both RMC and DLC are great colleges. If you really like to party and drink alcohol then DLC is the place to be, since RMC doesn't allow alcohol on the premises. That's not to say that RMC people don't have fun, and weekly trips to the Unibar and Darling Harbour atest to that.

Which college has the better chicks? Well it's close, with RMC having a lot of international girls from all over the world while DLC has some OK (albeit loud and sometimes arrogant) Americans.

Otherwise, not much separates the two colleges.
Parties vs chicks? How can i decide?! :confused: :D

You'll have a lot of help in your studies at either college. RMC has a lot of smart actuaries including a straight HD 2nd year boy and the magnificent REILLY (malachite and flyin' will tell you how good he is). Reilly is actually from coff's harbour too.
That's Reilly Elsmore (sp?) right? Actually, apparently just yesturday my mum was talking to his mum (i think), who invited me to talk to Reilly about acst when he's back in coffs in sept.

Anyway, come to RMC so we can have two Nissan Silvia's in the car park.
Heheheh. :D

If you guys don't know what i could do about macroeconomics, is there anywhere i can ring to find out?

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
reliy? ppfffftt reily shmeily!

ND, enrol into acst/appl finance. Coz its better to be one up, than one down. ie. easier to drop than to pick up.
Eco ppl have slight variation in first year in regards to their recommended program compared to the mainstream. So all you do is don't follow ur recommended program exactly and follow econ's. ie. do econ110 when the econ guys do it in sem1, while mainstream do comp115. And then do comp115 in 2nd yr with the econ guys.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If ND doesn't make the cutoff, should he enroll in the straight Actuarial Course and make sure he takes up macro instead of COMP115 in first sem? What do u guys reckon?
Yeh, ND can just change COMP115 for ECON110 in first sem.
Btw, you can always do summer school for ECON110, if they don't allow you to do it in first (which is highly unlikely anyway).

...the magnificent REILLY (malachite and flyin' will tell you how good he is).
ROFL!

N

ND

Thanks heaps, i'm just hoping i don't need to worry about transferring though. :p

PS. do you need an interview for RMC? i'm gonna put in applications for RMC and DLC tomorrow.

N

ND

Ah ok. I take it there are no double beds since there is only one fee listed?

I think i'll apply for only RMC seeing as they have vacancies, don't have interviews, and have better girls (i figure it's better to have hot girls without parties than parties without hot girls). When do they let you know if you've been accepted?

RIZAL

HSC
yeah no double beds......and the rooms aren't that big....so it sucks if you are used to a larger room.

and when I said that the girls are ok, I was talking in comparative terms and not absolute terms. So they aren't really that good, but better than DLC IMO. The quality of the chicks also depends on who leaves/stays at the end of term and who arrives/leaves at the start of next year.

anyway, it's not really that big a decision because it would be quite easy to switch colleges after a term if you decide you like the other one. RMC and DLC are directly adjacent too, so if you have friends at DLC there are no problems there as we are always heading in and out of each others colleges.

I forgot to mention that DLC absolutely canes our college in sport, although we were better last year.

The turn over rate at both colleges is quite high, with a lot of people coming and going. the majority of students are 1st years or 2nd years. It is usually pretty rare to find someone that stays for longer than 2 years. DLC always appears to have different faces because they have heaps of Americans who only stay for 6 months.

I'm not sure when they let you know if you've been accepted....I applied after the late round of offers and got accepted within a day of faxing my application.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)