property assignment (1 Viewer)

iwannarock

HSC
aaaaaah i havent looked at the question yet.

i heard its on fiduciary duty?

if so.................aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that stupid glover article:burn:

and researching cases that aren't in the textbook:burn:

HSC
stop spontaneously combusting!
it shouldn't be too bad - the text readings are short, so just read them, search the internet for the main cases, which should lead you to some nice theorists/journal articles and you're set.
i'm finding not so much the research/preparence hard as how to structure an answer - there are too many frigging theories!! there are two articles i've got that skim them all - glover and this shepherd guy - but i can't just mooch their theory and case refs so i don't know how i'll go about it

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I've just looked at it this morning (had another essay to struggle through).

I wasn't going to look at the theories, mainly because I really didn't like that Glover article. Was just going to concentrate on the more 'substantive' crap, and get this stupid thing over and done with.

Scarecrow, I'm just going to structure it the way the question is: Define fiduciary relationships; explain what makes a fiduciary relationship fiduciary (ie. the 'reasons'), and then talk about those child abuse cases... Which I haven't read :eek:

HSC
oh yeah i'm doing that too - but the prob i'm having is more how to structure the first bit i.e. what is a fiduciary - there are quite a few theories, quite a few cases. actually about a million theories.

and yeah i've just read the glover article it is so unbelievably crap - especially his critique of reasonable expectations - do u know what he's going on about there? on the one hand he craps on about how it doesn't work, but then says 'a 'legitimate expectation' test may (after some crap admin case) be imposed directly onto the facts of a case as a rule of law.' wtf?

HSC
hey do u guys know what the page margins are meant to be for this thing? normally they tell us 2.5 cm, but i don't know that they've said this time so not sure whether to leave it or make it the 2.5 - hope it's the latter, no chance i'll be able to make the word limit without that extra space!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I would just stick to the 2.5cm... I didnt even realise that they didn't mention it.

Still have to put fingers to keys and start writing this thing. I have about half a paragraph/intro... Havent got any references re: sexual abuse, except for the cases.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yessssssssssssssss!!!!!!

After days of struggling, I finally have a complete draft down (minus intro and conclusion - for some reason these just aren't working for me, its usually the easiest part).

Dont think the essay is too good, but its a start. Yay!!

Didn't mention Glover once because I hate him and his stupid theories!! Hopefully Sandy will mark mine, because she doesnt like Glover either! :D

How are you both going?

HSC
i'm a little over halfway thru - i've done the first bit, and am getting thru the second. a bit concerned though - no one seems to be looking at the theories! my first bit is so long - three pages - how long's urs? and how many pages are u doing on sexual assault?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Keeping in mind I havent got an intro yet, the first two 'questions' are answered in 4 pages. Which means I have 3ish on sexual assault, and then 1ish left over to do the intro/conclusion. I think the first half is going to be longer by default because you have to answer two sections.

I haven't really spoken to others about the use of theories, I more avoid them in my essays because I brush most of them off as a waste of time - they are soooo boring! So, I just stick to the substantive stuff because its simpler, more articulate and easier to comment on (because other judges have commented on the approach, too! - Like, nearly every case I have looked at puts a different spin, or gives a different opinion, on whether we need a definitive fiduciary test). But doing theories has worked for you in the past, too, which means you must do it a lot better than most other people I know!!

I couldnt find a whole heap of articles on the sexual assault stuff, so most of it is judge's comments on the progression of Aust vs. Canada, and why Aust has the better/worse position.

Tabris

HSC
This 300 level law stuff is starting to scare us 1st year little-ones......

HSC
don't worry little one it's not as bad as it sounds
i think it's easier by 3rd yr because u're more used to it

mj i couldn't find articles specifically on sexual assault either, so i'm more looking at the cases for that bit and using the general approaches/views of the articles for critique.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Tabris, once you're past Juris, you're fine :D At least the subsequent years are more interesting (if not more stressful, but hey!).

Great scarecrow, thats the exact same way I'm doing it, too. Went out with law friends last night, and confirmed that half were using the Glover article, and the other half hadn't even thought about it. It was really interesting to see how people have their own different approach.

iwannarock

HSC
alright.........im gonna try and start doing the research today.

i need to snap out of writing it up at like 10 or 11pm the night before..........that needs to be cut back to like 3pm.

im gonna go find those canadian cases.........i think i have them written down somewhere.

and do you guys have shayne davenport as your tutor? she made a big deal about the glover article. she really wanted to make us understand all the different theories. she also said that its pretty much a given that stewart will throw in an essay question in the exam to do with glover's theories and stuff.

HSC
that's nuts - so fiduciary relations will be the essay question and the exam question?! but it's such a narrow field!!
i'm so over this essay - it seems like no one's doing the theories and i've dedicated over two pages to them!!

props to me tho for starting this before the night before tho - there's a first time for everything!

iwannarock

HSC
well..........i still havent started writing yet. i totally didn't stick to my "start it earlier game plan". oh well back to my old ways. i hope markers aren't nicole graham-like.

im planning to use glovers theories crap.......so i still need to get my head around that.:mad1:

its gonna be one of those nights.......

da dun dun..................da dun dun daaaaaa

HSC
good luck honey

i only loosely used glover - i more used shepherd for the theories part. glover sucks.

i'm just working on the third part now - grr... stupid sentance construction. constructing sentences also sucks.

i'm so frigging lazy - but i really want to get a good part of it done tonight so i can justify watching oz

carry on my pretties...

iwannarock

HSC
ah im 800 words in.

which sucks cuz i realised 1.5 spacing at 7 pages is like 2500 or even more.

oh well.......im still on the first part of the question.

iwannarock

HSC
1900 words and about 1 and a half pages to go.

awful.......awful stuff.

and im still going to classes 2morow.........cuz im a trooper i am.

iwannarock

HSC
hahah i know.

one day i will need to repay them somehow.

this relationship we have is all take and no give though and i feel bad that i leech off them so much.

i need to pull my weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)