alternatives to not making acst (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
acst is probably going to be at 97+ this year.

i dont know if i will get the required uai for it, so what courses should i look at to get into acst later on? transfers from other courses, etc.

thanks.

ricenoodles

HSC
an extra year of study...i wouldnt take that path.

is acst at unsw really that bad compared to mq?

Rahul

Dead Member
so it will turn out to be a 4yr course, instead of a 3 yr course?

also, can i pick any of the commerce courses right? bcom-accounting, bcom- marketing. is that correct? what about just bcom itself, will i be able to transfer, just doing that?

sorry for the barrage of questions:)

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
if you do things like commerce etc, u have alot of optiopns u can choose from. Given u satisy certain prerequsits (band watever in 2u maths etc) u can get into things like STAT171, ACCG100, ACST101, ECON111, ECON101, ACCG101, COMP115 etc in first yr even if you're not enrolled in Actuarial. Then if you're GPA is high enough, you can get into acst and wont need to redo these subjects. Only subjects you'd really miss are ACST151 and ACST211 if you plan very neatly. So only 2 extra subjects.

But really, 75% of ppl who make the 97uai+ cutoff drop out coz they cant handle actuarial. I'm giving you my opinion. Like right now, i reckon i might not make it through, even though im doing relatively ok. I think ppl who get say 90uai (not u, u'll get higher), transfer to actuarial, have a slim chance in the end, and waste all that time and effort.

Rahul

Dead Member
1. so it will be a 4yr course, if it does happen? if so, is there anything to utilise my last year with or is it just going to be to catch up to the two subjects?

2. The only recommendation I have is to do as much Mathematics and Statistics as you can you durin' your early years
how can i find out that the content(subjects) of the suitable courses for me. or will they be similar? in other words, will some contain more relevant subjects?

thanks again

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by flyin'
It's not as such catchin' up. Those subjects are pre-reqs for later Actuarial subjects (So if you fail them, you'll be behind a year). So in a sense you'll be behind a year in you're Actuarial subjects.

You can utilise you time by completin' a Second degree - just combine Acturial with whatever.
and i'll be able to decide that after i transfer to acst, rite?

Originally posted by flyin'
Well, there really aren't that many suitable subjects. But for starters, you can do both the mainstream first year Math subjects - MATH135,MATH136 instead of MATH133. Second year Math might prove useful.

As for Statistics, you're not left with much choice but STAT171 (for first year) and the subsequent difficult units STAT271,STAT272 before the third year subjects become useful.
ok, so i know what subjects i have to do in my first yr, if i have to transfer. but where can i get information about the courses that i can take up in my first yr, which may house most of these.

ricenoodles

HSC
why is the unsw actuarial degree not as suitable for ppl who want to become straight actuaries?

and flyin', you said that we have to be prepared to study 24/7 to do well in this course...how much exactly do u study for it? coz it seems to me forum posting takes up a lot of ur time :p

RIZAL

HSC
the workload isn't *that* bad.... I think it should be mentioned that we are in second semester of year 1, which means 5 subjects in one go....

Next year, the majority of students will have only 3 or 4 subjects...

u gotta study hardcore for finals, but other than that it's not so bad... then again, I'm not going for straight HDs or anything so I'm a little more relaxed than your average student...

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
because u're considering actuarial. i mean if u're not gonna get 90uai, i really really suggest u dont attempt actuarial.
oh ok. i thought you had some back-ground info on me or something creepy like that:p

what are the hours involved with acst, i am presuming the hours at lectures + personal study(hw, etc.)

http://www.actuary.mq.edu.au/programs/
that only has info onacturials. i cant find the list of subjects for Bcom accounting, Bcom statistics, etc.

like, i am looking for:

Bcom accounting
sem1
SUBJ100
SUBJ101
etc...

sem2
etc...

Last edited:

SoFTuaRiaL

just thought i'd add unsw's first yr program in actuary

sem 1
acct1501 - accounting 1a
econ1101 - microeconomics
math1151 - maths for actuary
fins1602 - business finance

sem 2
acct 1511 - accounting 1b
econ1102 - macroeconomics
math1251 - math for actuary 1b
actl1001 - actuarial studies and commerce

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
all the subjects for every degree are available in undergraduate handbook. you buy it on ~enrolment day.

you can probably find things like that online too...not sure where.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by ricenoodles
Da Monstar, do u do actuarial at unsw?
thats what it says in his sig:D
he picked it up in his 2nd yr.

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
you can probably find things like that online too...not sure where.
yeh i tried to find it on the macq site, but had little luck:(

Rahul

Dead Member
flyin', i went to that before and didnt find anythign

and now, i found the link right at the bottom of 'further info'

exactly what i was after.

thanks a lot flyin' and also malachite.:)

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by Rahul
thats what it says in his sig:D
he picked it up in his 2nd yr.
Originally posted by ricenoodles
Da Monstar, do u do actuarial at unsw?
rahul, i'm still in first yr ....
yes noodles, i do actl, but since its a double degree i dont start actual actl subjects till next yr. for now, i'm just doing the core econ subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)