Angry students bully university mentors (1 Viewer)

Tabris

HSC
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20743816-12332,00.html

If i fail and stuff up an assignment, i would like to know why, if i stuff up the test, i expect the test and answers to be posted.

If i pay over $800 for a unit, i expect to get some decent value out of it. But if i get some shit course content and absolutely crap teachers who cant communicate, poorly organised materials and really really crap tutors, i would be pissed off.

Especially if they wont post up answers and explanation to why and where i (and others) stuffed up on the assessment.

Those people who stalk, they have probably have a very good reason if their "Academics" are poor teachers. But if the student on his/her behalf fails to do their part, its just wrong to do this. I can imagine this happening to some of the fobs.

We are customers, we pay and we want some value for our $$$, the actions mentioned in the article is not very unrealistic given the pressure and shit that needs to be put up with.

Whats the point in being an academic if U CANNOT DISSEMINATE AND COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY.

I already can name a handful of "Academics" and mentors..... (ECFS cough cough)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Tabris said:
If i fail and stuff up an assignment, i would like to know why, if i stuff up the test, i expect the test and answers to be posted.

If i pay over $800 for a unit, i expect to get some decent value out of it. But if i get some shit course content and absolutely crap teachers who cant communicate, poorly organised materials and really really crap tutors, i would be pissed off.

Especially if they wont post up answers and explanation to why and where i (and others) stuffed up on the assessment.
definitely, but thank goodness in 3 years i have never come across these problems
Tabris said:
Those people who stalk, they have probably have a very good reason if their "Academics" are poor teachers. But if the student on his/her behalf fails to do their part, its just wrong to do this. I can imagine this happening to some of the fobs.

We are customers, we pay and we want some value for our $$$, the actions mentioned in the article is not very unrealistic given the pressure and shit that needs to be put up with.

Whats the point in being an academic if U CANNOT DISSEMINATE AND COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY.

I already can name a handful of "Academics" and mentors..... (ECFS cough cough)
stalking is never justified (in the way it's talked about in the article ;) )
i definitely think the academics should be up to scratch and if not, the unis should find someone else. unfortunately teaching is an 'aside' so some of them obviously can't be bothered.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've only come across one real time I could've majorly failed due to the teacher/subject, (CUL100 actually had to resubmit an essay or fail) for the most part, I'm with iab, I can't say I agree with the 'stand over' tactics if they are occurring purely because most of my teachers have been quite clear on what is expected and so those who fail probably deserve to.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
lol. i thought this thread was going to be about some true story of a 1st year bullying a mentor (i.e. student mentors).

I'm not fully clear what to think. I agree that if people can't communicate then they shouldnt be teaching, but i dont know any lecturers/tutors that fail to communicate. I know a few that have acents that make it a little difficult at times but i wouldnt include that in the category. From my experience all the teaching staff have been very clear of what they expect and i think a majority of complaints (not all, im sure there are some legitimate complaints) are from students who are simply pissed that they failed. Theres a certain unit in psychology that is remarkably hard and about 40% of people fail. sure enough, it is also the unit that by far gets the most complaints. The lecturer, however, is very clear on what he wants and speaks proper english.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
lol. i thought this thread was going to be about some true story of a 1st year bullying a mentor (i.e. student mentors).

I'm not fully clear what to think. I agree that if people can't communicate then they shouldnt be teaching, but i dont know any lecturers/tutors that fail to communicate. I know a few that have acents that make it a little difficult at times but i wouldnt include that in the category. From my experience all the teaching staff have been very clear of what they expect and i think a majority of complaints (not all, im sure there are some legitimate complaints) are from students who are simply pissed that they failed. Theres a certain unit in psychology that is remarkably hard and about 40% of people fail. sure enough, it is also the unit that by far gets the most complaints. The lecturer, however, is very clear on what he wants and speaks proper english.
lol psy237 :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
:rofl:
lecturers might speak 'proper' english, but not understandable, simple english
actually in one of the subjects i am doing at the moment, there are 2 lecturers.
the first lecturer taught us something (actually everything they teach) that seemed so complicated. the second lecturer revised it with us and it's actually plain and simple.
if i had to complain about any of my lecturers over the past few years, it would be that first lecturer because imo they are very involved in their own research and so sometimes their classes are left behind. but it could also be that i don't deal well with their unstructured style of teaching.

anyway i agree that many times when students complain it's because they might not be prepared to put in the work for harder (or even easier) units, fail, and so complain.

HSC
N/A
I have major issues with ARTS200/SOC231. Massive waffler, stupid content, inexperienced tutors. I'm passing though, so not complaining too much outwardly.

My friends and I have written absolutely scathing remarks on the course evaluation sheets, though.

X

xeuyrawp

article said:
"We are treating students increasingly like customers and they are acting increasingly like customers, and when a customer pays for something they expect to get it," Mr Nette said.
Tabris said:
If i pay over $800 for a unit, i expect to get some decent value out of it. But if i get some shit course content and absolutely crap teachers who cant communicate, poorly organised materials and really really crap tutors, i would be pissed off. ...

lol, anyway.

Just because you pay for something does not mean you can act like a spoilt brat when you fail. You are not paying for marks, your paying for the right to be marked.

Whether your degree was free, or whether it was $100000 makes no difference in this case, because academics are not there to be abused, and you are not there to get marks.

If you cannot persuade the academics without getting all agro, you most certainly do not deserve the marks: The appeals process goes up very, very far in the uni.

n00dl3~danc3r

HSC
To start/continue a dirty rumour related to this, is the reason they upped security in the new EFS building coz some lecturer/tutor was threatened with a gun???

And trust an academica to use a word like anathema, WTF?

H?

buddy
HSC
miss_gtr said:
I agree with Rob. Just because you pay for the course, doesnt mean you should have automatic passing. I believe that tutors/lecturers are vital to what you learn in the course, but focus isnt/shouldnt be put on them. I havent come across a seriously bad tutor/lecture yet. If I have said that they were bad, its because of my own opinion ( ie they were borrrrrrrrrinnngggg ) but that doesnt mean they aren't very learned in their topic/subject- Because i'm sure you have to be highly knowledged to be a lecture (Okay some tutors are a bit WTFF.....?, But all in all, they are fairly good).

At uni I think its important to remember that its entirely upto you (well almost), so failure (most the time) is their/your own fault.

Thats crazy, where is EFS btw??
E4A/B.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)