Hey there... (1 Viewer)

2rko

HSC
OK so i understand that most of you are over anything uni related but I'd really really appreciate it if i could get some feedback on the following units .. HIST189 SPN101 POL168 PHIL131
I found some stuff on the politics and philosophy unit already but any additional information would be great...
Thanks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What are you looking for exactly? It'd help us muchly if we knew what to talk about :D So like, course structure? admin ? lecturers ? tutorials ? content ?

2rko

HSC
my bad yes basically the things you've listed.. i think im gonna find out about course structure and such though so not so much that but more the student experience .. how are the lecturers (Spongberg? Valverde? Townley? dont have a name for the pol unit) hows the content? Is it enjoyable .. anything to help me out is all good

Kegs

HSC
Well, I think SPN101 was a new subject this year, so they will just be working it out for themselves and I am not sure if anyone here did it. New courses tend to take a year or 2 to iron out the problems, but it should still be pretty good. As a whole, languages at Macq is pretty good.

Cant really help on the others though, as I have never done those units. Sorry. Feel free to ask anything else about the uni, such as the more important questions like 'Where is the bar?'* and "Where do they make the best coffee?'*

I assume you are not at macq yet, but are planning to be shortly, right?

*These are example questions and by no means represent the bias of the question creator.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
phil131 is great. the course structure was (at least 2 years ago) 2 x 35% essays, 10% tut attendance and 20% final exam. I forget most of it, but i do remember that i enjoyed the unit. You start off with learning about ancient greeks and how they saw how the world began, then it moves to the 1600's with psychology-related topics.

buddys

HSC
POL168 was good ... this semesters structure was different to the previous ones - it was 10% tutorial mark 10% mid semester class exam, 40% assignment and 40% final exam

The main topics include war, terrorism, globalisation, environment in international politics, human rights, foreign policy to name a few

there were 3 lecturers for pol this semester - all were pretty good

i think that covers everything if not just ask and ill try answer :D

X

xeuyrawp

HIST189 is as boring as batshit. Don't go near it.

Do HIST112 instead.

uh_huh2

HSC
Hi,

I did SPN101 last semester and SPN102 this semester. My teacher was Estela Valverde.

She was a great teacher, lots of fun and laughs. The classes consist of about 20 people and you get to know them pretty well. There is a lot of group work and you end up speaking in some spanish before you know it.

Also, the exams aren't too hard - most of it is done over the net with quite a few number of them been multiple choice.

Good Luck if you decide to do it,
PM me if you have any further questions.

Kegs

HSC
PwarYuex said:
HIST189 is as boring as batshit. Don't go near it.

Do HIST112 instead.
I totally agree with HIST112 kicking arse. It was one of the best subject I have done at uni. It is such a great grounding for anything you want to do, be it science or humanities based. And the convener is like uber cool. Dooo it!

2rko

HSC
oh wow am overwhelmed by the response :p thanks a lot guys

Kegs said:
Well, I think SPN101 was a new subject this year, so they will just be working it out for themselves and I am not sure if anyone here did it. New courses tend to take a year or 2 to iron out the problems, but it should still be pretty good. As a whole, languages at Macq is pretty good.

Cant really help on the others though, as I have never done those units. Sorry. Feel free to ask anything else about the uni, such as the more important questions like 'Where is the bar?'* and "Where do they make the best coffee?'*

I assume you are not at macq yet, but are planning to be shortly, right?

*These are example questions and by no means represent the bias of the question creator.
haha great ... coffee where is the best coffee?? and bar ...

oh and all these societies/clubs and whatever should i even bother looking at them or are they all crapshit
Yeah after 1 year travelling/working im going to be studying at maq am looking forward to it a lot actually (lame:eek: )

thanx cyan pheonix & buddys much appreciated :)

noo dont say hist189 is boring ive already picked it .. im doing nonaward you see although i suppose id be able to change it .. what worries me more is that the unit youve written up isnt in the booklet .. does that mean i can still do it ? :confused:

tthanks uh huh2 .. glad to hear that ive got absolutely no spanish knowledge at all but seems like my type of unit

buddys

HSC
2rko said:
noo dont say hist189 is boring ive already picked it .. im doing nonaward you see although i suppose id be able to change it .. what worries me more is that the unit youve written up isnt in the booklet .. does that mean i can still do it ? :confused:
I did non award as well - and you can only do what is in the non award book so if hist112 isnt in there ... you might need to stick with 189

Kegs

HSC
Yeah, dont worry about clubs and socs, esp Filmsoc. That club really does suck hard. It is the worst club on campus. Whatever you do, dont give them any of your money.
Just make sure that you come along to O-week on like the Tuesday or Wednesday (that is when it is best-ish) and check out all the stalls for clubs and socs and all the other cool things you can do on campus (like join the frisbee club!) There are heaps to choose from, and if you want a small list, with some information, check out http://www.sam.org.au/index.cfm?s=D280BA04-3C90-4919-A516FD5E5542FCDE.
The Sporting clubs arent on there, but there are lots of others to choose from. Good luck with it.

Btw, does reverse psychology actually work?

X

xeuyrawp

buddys said:
I did non award as well - and you can only do what is in the non award book so if hist112 isnt in there ... you might need to stick with 189
2rko said:
That list's just advice. Ring up COE and ask if you can still do it, knowing you're capable for it.

The convener of HIST112 asked to have the unit removed from the recommended/potential units list because she found that the non-award students were expecting something more mainstream as a history unit and weren't doing so well.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, though. Just be realistic with what you want, it's a fair bit of work for a first year subject, but not putting up with Spongebob (HIST189) is worth it.

buddys

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That list's just advice. Ring up COE and ask if you can still do it, knowing you're capable for it.
fair enough

2rko

HSC
ok so i did a search on the net and it definitely looks like a unit id want to do .. i rang up the centre and the lady told me that it wont be offered next year as hist 112 and that it will change its name ? but id be able to do it later on just not next year which confuses the hell out of me but i suppose im stuck with 189 as the other unit thats offered which is the making of australia is really not interesting to me at all

X

xeuyrawp

2rko said:
ok so i did a search on the net and it definitely looks like a unit id want to do .. i rang up the centre and the lady told me that it wont be offered next year as hist 112 and that it will change its name ? but id be able to do it later on just not next year which confuses the hell out of me but i suppose im stuck with 189 as the other unit thats offered which is the making of australia is really not interesting to me at all
Okay, I just looked. Thanks for telling me!

Apparently it's changed designation to HIST115. I have absolutely no idea why.

Furthermore, it's not going to be run next year, but in 2008. Again, I have no idea why. It's usually a very popular unit.

X

xeuyrawp

PwarYuex said:
Apparently it's changed designation to HIST115. I have absolutely no idea why.
This is what the convener said:

HIST112 is rested next year and is coming back in
2008 as HIST115. The change is in number only: while the course will be
updated, it will be essentially 112. We had to change the number to meet
DEST requirements.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Probably rotationary like in the AHST department ?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Probably rotationary like in the AHST department ?
Nah, it's a first year unit and one of the most popular humanities subjects. I think it's because she's doing a lot of research next year. :(

Cursed Vice Chancellor. *shakes fist*

2rko

HSC
has anybody done the anthropology unit about drugs .. seems heaps interesting does anyone know anytthing about it at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)