Actuarial Studies International Recognition-Mac or UNSW (1 Viewer)

phillipli35

HSC
Hey guys,
I just finished yr 12 this year and I am interested in trying out actuarial studies. I have read a no. of posts on actuarial studies on both mac forum and unsw, saying how mac is better at this course, unsw is more flexible when switching courses(and good co-op program) etc.

But what about international recognition? Would there be a difference in choosing one of the 2 uni's? If sumone could help me out cause it "seems" that unsw is more internationally recognised (is more well known as a good uni in general)

(I posted this thread on unsw forum as well to get as much replies as possible)

Tabris

HSC
The Ivory Lighthouse is better than UNSW, acst department had a a couple of decades head start before UNSW.

AS for recognition, theres this special organisation in UK that manages it and Macq is one of those isntitutions thats recognised, not sure about UNSW.

Reputation doesnt mean anything if u cant get the marks, u may think getting 98 UAI means everything is fine, but getting 75 average in every unit is a MASSIVE task, especially something as difficult as actuarial studies, the first year units has to be one of the hardest eye opening courses at uni.

U really want to do Actuarial studies? "trying out" isnt a good idea. U have to be very very committed to it. THere is a lot of maths, computing and killer statistics as well as some easier introduction to macro/microeconomics for first year.

Dont be afraid to swap degrees if it is too hard, maybe to another Bachelor of Commerce, whatever u do in first year 100 level units for acst, it is recognised in finance, accounting and economics.

No such thing as wasting your UAI, it does not indicate how good the course is. it may be an indication of the high level of demand by misinformed, "bite more than can chew" students who think their UAI means the are invincible at uni

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
If you want to "try out" acst then i suggest you go to UNSW as they have much better options than Macq if you want to change degrees. As for recognition, if you get your part I and part II from university (very very hard to) it wont make any difference whether you studied at Mac or Unsw. Macq was the first university in the world to introduce acst degree (i think) and from my personal experience the lecturers are very good (well apart from the ones who have negative marking :burn: ). You may also want to consider which uni is closer to you.

Btw if you get into co-op at UNSW go there for sure.

Affinity

HSC
another soul sucked into actuarial studies :p

phillipli35

HSC
Thanks for the advice guys, can anyone tell me roughly how many ppl (or percentage) drop out of actuarial studies in the first year in macquarie, cause I heard that only about 30-40% of the people graduate cause the course in Macquarie is so so hard.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
flyin' said:
The myth about UNSW being more flexible is just that - a myth. It is probably just as easy to transfer out of actuarial studies from both Macquarie and UNSW. What people mean by flexible is - because UNSW is seen as a better university overall, if you transfer out of actuarial studies, you're at a better university.
Quoted for emphasis...

Conspirocy

HSC
Tabris said:
getting 75 average in every unit is a MASSIVE task
I know when my dad studied at Mac you would get accreditation in the UK - so that needed 75 per subject

Is that still the case? Also, do people still go through the UK, or the Australian society?

I heard at UNSW its 65 per subject to get through - again im unsure - could someone clarify

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
As far as I know, you have to get 65+ in certain subjects to get part I exemptions in the first 3 years, and then you do part II exemptions in your 4th year through 2 subjects (once again needing 65? or is it just a passs?). Then you gain part III through the institute while you are working (with 5yrs work experience?)

Some subjects you need a 65 to do other subjects, but don't directly need it for the exemption.

I'm assuming you can get through the degree without the required credits and still graduate, but without the part I exemptions.

(I'm not an actuary, so someone can correct me)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
all second and third year core subjects are exemptions...even econ201...but i dont think the electives require credits, but actuarial students usually get Cr - Ds in electives regardless

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Conspirocy said:
I know when my dad studied at Mac you would get accreditation in the UK - so that needed 75 per subject

Is that still the case? Also, do people still go through the UK, or the Australian society?
Since the Part I of our exams are exactly the same as those of the UK's, then yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)