Any 2 credit point subjects? (1 Viewer)

CloudStrife

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing actuarial studies/applied finance double but because I've been repeating a few subjects I don't have enough credit points in my study program next year to graduate with the double. I'm doing 13 cp in sem1 and 12 cp in sem2 already. Don't really want to add more to semester 1 or 2 since I find the actuarial subjects to be a struggle.
I'm still 7 credit points short. I could take 2 credit points for INOV101 in winter and possibly take 2 subjects during summer 2007/08 but that might be hectic. So anyone know of a 2 credit point subject that's easy to do maybe during semester 2 or over the holidays?

HSC
N/A
ouchies

Being the naughty girl that I am and not consulting the handbook, I can't think of any 2-unit courses off the top of my head.

However... considered taking up an easy 3-unit scmp subject? ;)

X

xeuyrawp

Just remember that Summer School is damn expensive.

What about an external subject? I'd go for a 100 level humanities/scmp subject and do it externally, for example AHST101, which requires you to just do two tute papers and two essays. I'm sure there is something out there that wouldn't be too difficult, you wouldn't need to do something boring like ancient:p, you'd just need a waiver for doing so many units.

I have no idea about winter school, other than INOV101, which you've mentioned. Seems a bit gimmicky, though.

edit: hahah, or, alternatively, you can do something really easy like CHN112: Chinese Calligraphy. 2 contact hours a week! :D

edit 2: bahahah!

Lecture classes only held on the first hour of the odd number weeks (1hr), ie, weeks 1,3,5,7,9,11. Lectures will be delivered by Anita Chang.

Tutorials (practical hours) held on the second hour of the odd number weeks (1 hr) and 2 hrs on the even number weeks . Tutorials will be given by Franz Cheung.
Sounds really stressful. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

CloudStrife

HSC
It's too late to enrol in summer school for this summer. Wish I realized earlier how stuffed up I am. LOL
And I think taking up 2 subjects over summer is hard. I did ECON201 one summer and I found that alone to be quite tough. (Possibly because I was sleeping at the back every lecture)

Yeah I think I got to do anther 200+ level subject somewhere.

X

xeuyrawp

CloudStrife said:
Yeah I think I got to do anther 200+ level subject somewhere.
K, you've officially blown the 'I have no idea, please help me bos' trumpet. In which degree are you enrolled, and what subjects have you done? (Maybe easiest to copy from estudent).

HSC
N/A
Cloudstrife said:
I'm doing actuarial studies/applied finance double
I still reckon he should do something from humanities or scmp, just for the sake of variety. :p

BBA250 isn't too bad. It's stupid (says the arts student) but it's reasonably easy. mktg101 is also ridiculously easy.

X

xeuyrawp

actuarial student: person studying to be actuary
actuarial studies: a subject an actuary or an actuarial student may study, also known as actuarial science in other countries
actuary: a Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries Australia
acturial: a poor attempt at spelling 'actuarial' and often misused as a noun

Nice. :)

CloudStrife

HSC
I've repeated 4 subjects so that's why I only have 64 credit points now. :p

Course Title Credits
ACST151 Intro to Actuarial Studies 3
ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles 3
COMP125 Fund.of Comp.Science 3
ACST101 Technqs & Elements of Finance 3
ECON111 Microeconomic Principles 3
ACCG105 Introductory Financial Acc 3
MATH133 Mathematics IB (Advanced) 3
STAT272 Probability 3
ACCG253 Financial Management 3
STAT171 Statistical Data Analysis 3
ECON201 Macroeconomic Analysis 4
ACST211 Combinatorial Probability 3
ACST356 Mathematical Theory of Risk 3
ACST300 Insurance & Super Practice 4
ECON141 Introductory Econometrics 3
ACST200 Mathematics of Finance 4
ECON360 International Finance 3
ACST305 Quant Meth Asset Liability Mgt 4
STAT271 Statistics I 3
ACST255 Contingent Payments 1 3

Planned for 2007:
Sem1: ACST354, FIN310, ECON350,3CP elective(possibly MKTG101) Total 13 CP
Sem2: ACST357, ACST355, ACCG352,ACCG353 Total 12 CP
Winter: INOV101 (2CP)
Summer2007/08: Need 5 CPs (Might look at two 200 level 3CP subjects )
Might now consider ECDO200 in semester 2, its worth 2 credit points.

I really want to graduate next year so I'd prefer not to take an extra semester, just not sure about the importance of having a double degree and finding a job. I'm interested in finding a way to get enough CPs for the double degree since I'm very close to getting it.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

HSC
Yeah, sorry, I'm BAppFin BCom - ActStud. Here's the link for the program.
http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/programofstudy.php?code=FNN02

I emailed David Westcott the unit coordinator for actuarial studies and he didn't seem to mention overloading as an option. I assume I won't be allowed to overload given my poor results and I also heard ACST354 is quite hard.

Flyin, I realized you've finished your actuarial degree? Congrats on that achievement!!!
Care to share your opinion on the recognition of a double degree vs single degree?

Last edited:

CloudStrife

HSC
Thanks for your input, wanted to hear the perspective of a fellow student. But with you the mention of high marks as a requirement, I'm doubting my ability to land interviews with my horrendous marks. :p

Yeah, three of my friends are actually finishing up this year with the single. I would have wanted to do the same if I actually credited all my subjects first time round. Personally it seems that experience seems more important than having that 2nd degree, hence I want to get out asap. So if it takes me another semester I might possibly not consider the 2nd degree just for the title since I will have studied all the finance subjects.

CloudStrife

HSC
havy said:
just did a random search on the handbook, this should come in handy:

http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/unit.php?edition=2007&unitCode=ECDO200

ECDO200: Careers and Work, sounds pretty easy

hope this helps
Thanks for that.

I just came across the "maximum number of credit points at 100 level -- 30" requirement. So if I really want the double degree, I'll have to try doing two 200 level subjects over next summer after all. Hmmm......

CloudStrife

HSC
Hmmm, sounds a bit interesting since its worth 2cp and only one day. Is it "GEOS389: Special Interest Seminar" or something else? I'm not sure if I can actually enter this since as I would assume you need to be a Geology/Science student?

X

xeuyrawp

CloudStrife said:
Hmmm, sounds a bit interesting since its worth 2cp and only one day. Is it "GEOS389: Special Interest Seminar" or something else? I'm not sure if I can actually enter this since as I would assume you need to be a Geology/Science student?
Yeah, the handbook info implies that the unit is based on your own interest [in geography]. I doubt many people could jump into a 300 level science subject and hope to wing it. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)