400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Okay, so I want to know who is doing what so I can harass them for notes when it comes to the crunch (and the taste you can't resist!).

I'm doing:
International law
European Union law
International Organisations law
Advanced Torts.

That means IWR that I've withdrawn from IT after one (albeit incomplete) IT tute. Because she sucks, is unforgivably rude for not turning up, and anyone who makes the assessment a 75%, 7000 word essay has a screw loose. :pain: <-- this is an illustration of everyone in that tute.. with the anger directed at her.

So, what are others doing?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
The assessment in property is a 100% weighted take home exam that you get one day to do that consists of a case note, essay and problem question that is a max of 12 pages!

I am only doing international which I havent had yet, I hope its better than the cores I am doing. Really hoping to do Jessup and the clinical program

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Who is running property this year? I'm assuming not Nicole... thats pretty crazy, but at least its a take home, and no essay/other crap during semester.

Let me know what you think of the first assessment for international. It seems okay, but a bit overwhelming at the moment, but I'm hoping thats just because we haven't had a lecture yet. Looking forward to doing to open research essay, though.

iwannarock

HSC
noooooooooo dont leave me alone in IT.

im still divided as to what to do.

that advance tort tute at 12 is sooooooo full according to a friend.

im not a very good liar.

"i have work penelope i can't make it to the other tutes except tuesday"

"where do you work?"

"i............don't.............know"

and wow.......property...fuck.

has the law faculty gone made this year?

but anyway....so far my subjects stand as

IT law
international law
health law.

IT law could change to advance torts or even tax......depending on my mood really. but no matter what i can't become a two subject bandit again. or else i'll be van wilder and at uni forever.

Tabris

HSC
I will be doing

LAW407
LAW509
LAW316

(I am in the 11-1 tutorial for international law)

Oh btw, thx for explaining what individual thinking was Mel. :p

See u guys and gals tomorrow?

maka

HSC
I am doing

Property 1
Con/Admin 1
Labour Law
International Law

I think my tute is at 11am too.

maka

HSC
Hey guys...

Not feeling the best today, so I couldnt make International Law classes today?

Could someone just briefly let me know what happened in lecture and the 11-1 tute since you are all in the class?

Thanks
Maka

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
IWR, Penelope said in my tute that she doesn't care which one you rock up to, you dont even have to let her know. Just enrol in any random tute... so you can actually receive your final grades at the end of semester.

That idiot Darren was explaining how he refused to enrol in any tute because he couldn't enrol in the one he wanted (unfortunately, its my tute he wants :( ). So thats when she said just to turn up to whatever tute you want. My tute is pretty packed too (Thurs 9-11)... seems people are bunching up into specific ones... Meanwhile the Wednesday evening class has 9 people in it!

Do torts!! Escape the evil Susanneeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

maka

HSC
I was thinking about trading in Int Law for Advanced Torts or possibly Health Law.

MJ.... whats Adv. Torts like?

Melsc, thanks for the Int Law summary.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Torts seems pretty good; we do what are called "injuries to dignity", so that includes defamation, privacy, sexual abuse, bullying, wrongful life etc. I get the impression that policy considerations will be the main focus; for the first assessment we have to write an executive summary ala ALRC on privacy in Australia and make recommendations. There is a take home exam, or you can opt to do group work (groups of 3-4) and present for a whole tutorial on that weeks topic. I'm planning on doing the group work to avoid the take home.

I've also done health law with Cameron Stewart (who isn't running it this year). Cant say whether the content will be the same, but last year it was by far the most enjoyable unit I've done (except ADR). The assesments have changed and there is compulsory group work which is pretty crap seeing group work never tends to work when its compulsory. If the exam is the same, it will be a really easy take home over 2 days.

maka

HSC
Thanks for the run down MJ.

I am seriously thinkin about doing Health Law because of George Tomossy as lecturer/tutor. I have had him previously for Torts/Contracts and he actually makes the stuff interesting. The subject content does seem quite open to debate and conversion on topical issues which should be good.

Int Law looks very confronting with essays and readings and stuff. It looks like it should be really fun but seems a little bland.

Oh well.... off to Health Law and I open up a spot for someone in the 11-1 Int law tut.

iwannarock

HSC
ugh both health law and torts have group work?

im not a group work person.

i dont like having being attatched to people and thus being forced to work so i dont let them down.

there is a cone of ignorance surrounding me that everybody gets dragged in to.

if im in a group im forced to do work as to not feel guilty and fuck other peoples marks.

i dont like doing that.

let me fuck myself up not other people.

if i do torts i will be for sure doing the take home.

maka

HSC
IWR...

I much prefer group work to a big take home exam.

I'd imagine you would have another 2/3 subjects with take home exams in the assessment block.

Would be good getting one subject out of the way.

But yeah I know what you mean. Group work is hard.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
group work is the absolute most shit house creation and poor excuse for 'teaching' ever created. But I'm doing it with my 5 closest uni friends (with whom I usually do the whole sharing of notes for take home exam thing) so group work isnt completely vomitous to me in this particular instance.

Maka, who are you? Because I'm in the Tues 11-1 tute for int law... not that we'll ever meet seeing you've changed (but I totally understand you taking health over int law, which does seem like a lot of work, especially trying to understand Rafiqul in lectures! I'm just doing it so I can qualify to do EU and int human rights)

I am slightly tiddly and am off to watch 'so you think you can dance'. and yes, when I watch that show, I think I can! :)

maka

HSC
MJ...

I am pretty much in between 3rd and 4th year because I transferred into the BA/LLB from UTS Business. So, I will graduate at the end of next year if I decide to do 2 units of summer school.

Its a shame that I havent met any of you though at uni. I was all set to come into uni on Friday for Int Law despite being a little sick. It seemed like the BOS Int Law tutorial. What really throws me off Int Law is the fact that the assessments seem really full on and the i lecture was difficult to understand.

At least I know in Health Law that George Tomossy is a personality to say the least. Is very approachable and pretty laidback, but has a good grasp on those areas. The subject content seems pretty controversial which is something that I like.

Yeah, I think I might decide to do International Law a bit later on whether it be in summer school or 1st semester next year. I sorta get into the problem of picking units and then a week later deciding, its not the stuff I want to study. It can be pretty frustrating.

Hows the 4 subjects a semester going so far MJ? I am planning to do a semester or two with 4 LAW units.

Tabris

HSC
The lecuter i boring and hard to follow (rafiq has a strong accent), the tute is even worse, sitting like stunned mullets listening him ramble on and on. Also, i want the lecture overheads! where are they?

So far having been through the first lecture and gone over the two books (Dixon and Triggs) and the material is just so much and dont have much of a common theme with each other and the lecture.

As for the assignment, i got some vague idea from what i have read from Dixon, but its gonna be footnote searching exercise for more relevant sources or needle in a haystack internet approach (Austlii and AGIS may be very limited)

Also, whats with the third book that was "recommended" under coop, which now has become compulsory option in the unit outline??

It seems we are all gonna be in a tough ride for int law, so if u want to add me onto MSN messenger, my email is mos3110@hotmail.com

maka

HSC
What are the 400/500 law cores like?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)