ACCG340 Final Exam. (1 Viewer)

Mathmatics85

HSC
Ok, we got our 340 exam on 11th, less than 2 weeks.

How is everyone going with this crazy subject? I'm still having trouble in understanding substantive tests and assertions on transaction cycles...

There is mock exam up on the blackboard, and I'd be very glad to see similar questions in the final..by the way I think its their first time putting a mock exam up for ACCG340?

Also the exam guide says the emphasis will be on from lecture 5 to 11. Do u guys think we'll be asked any questions before the lec 5??

Fuk..this is the last subject I want to fail...I mean I wouldn't mind repeating other units but just not 340...I should've studied more for this unit...

Last edited:

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I've just finished studying for it. I've got the FIN310 exam on the same day, so I wanted to finish my ACCG340 study early.

Study all the content from lectures 5-11, and if you have spare time study the main points of any previous lectures.

Structure your study in this order: Read > Summarise > Tutorial Questions

After you've completed all the tutorial work, practice the sample exam and attempt to mark it yourself.

Thereafter, go back and read through all the main points from lectures 5-11 a second time.

Try not to get stuck with the concepts, it's all very straight-forward, so just try to think of it in common-sense terms.

Remember, the average for the mid-semester was ~44%. The assignment was difficult and I expect, as Supra suggested, that most people will fail it. If the final exam is equally as difficult, that suggests that the majority of enrolled students (~60%) will fail, however; previous fail-rates for ACCG340 prove that isn't true. Thus, I expect the final exam to be somewhat easier than previous assessments, thereby allowing the majority of students who have failed the mid-semester and the assignment, to still obtain a passing grade via their final exam performance.

Kind Regards,
Luke.

*hopeful*

HSC
i have another exam on the same day as this as well

just reading and attempting tute questions, mock exam wasnt too bad, too much to read and im just hoping to wing it

Mathmatics85

HSC
How is FIN310 by the way?? hard? interesting? I'm doing it next year as it is my core unit..

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
It's interesting and about average difficulty.

I was looking forward to the lecture on Energy Commodities/Derivatives this semester, but Stefan replaced it with a presentation on Interest Rate Options instead. Oh well.

Our final lecture was a presentation by Stefan on Carbon Trading, which was interesting and different.

Our first speaker for the semester, Kevin Nixon from AFMA, gave an excellent presentation on the Global Financial Crisis.

Mathmatics85

HSC
that sounds much more interesting than what we're doing right now. Personally i cant wait to do ACCG329 and 352. They look insanely interesting...

Just need to pass ACCG340 first.. This has to be one of the most painful subject i have done..

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Yeah, you'd think they're both interesting, and they are to an extent. But the difficulty of the content mitigates/kills your interest in it.

Most of the people I know failed ACCG329, I was one of the lucky ones who passed first time round.

ACCG340 is absolutely mind-numbing. I thoroughly hate auditing. Same applies to ACCG323. Accounting has always been boring to me, but since working in accounting firms it's more interesting to me now.

Finance has always been interesting to me, and I think in the medium-term, after obtaining my CA accreditation, I'll make the switch from accounting to finance and probably do a Masters in Applied Finance.

I think working in funds management or some kind of trading/broking role would be best. I couldn't do quantitative analysis, model-building isn't my cup of tea. But I think any role that allows me to make bets on the market would be exciting. Maybe I'm just a gambler at heart, haha.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Funds Management is awesome mate, and so damn interesting. Im working in Macquarie Funds Management at the moment, in a back/middle office hybrid role...no chance as a trader, in fact they got rid of a few of them :p One of our leading traders has an honours in Actuarial...so they're a sharp bunch

I'd say you should look at a CFA over the Masters of AppFin, but then again, you're just like me, hate the quant/modelling stuff. CFA is damn hard and quite mathematical

323 sums up the accounting degree...

340 is not too bad, nor is the exam...i went to 1 lecture, 1 tute, worked full time and crammed at the end, yet still passed. You guys will be more than fine (since you have put more time and committment)...

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I was planning on doing the CFA and M.App.Fin concurrently as I've been told they cover the same content.

Thanks for the advice, Supra;— useful as always!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I was planning on doing the CFA and M.App.Fin concurrently as I've been told they cover the same content.

Thanks for the advice, Supra;— useful as always!
no worries mate...is this last semester for you? Were you thinking of doing FINSIA or MGSM Masters?

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I extended my degree by a year so I could work full-time for a year, I'm part-time next semester (two units) then I'm finished.

Originally I wanted to do the Finsia degree, but since it was bought by Kaplan, I'm leaning more towards MGSM/MAFC/AGSM for some reason.

MGSM has the advantage that it's in the top management schools in the world.
MAFC offers the largest M.App.Fin program in the Asia-Pacific region.
AGSM was just another consideration.

I don't think it's something I would get a lot of value from coming straight out of university. I'll probably work for a few years so I have some experience before enrolling in it.

What about you?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I extended my degree by a year so I could work full-time for a year, I'm part-time next semester (two units) then I'm finished.

Originally I wanted to do the Finsia degree, but since it was bought by Kaplan, I'm leaning more towards MGSM/MAFC/AGSM for some reason.

MGSM has the advantage that it's in the top management schools in the world.
MAFC offers the largest M.App.Fin program in the Asia-Pacific region.
AGSM was just another consideration.

I don't think it's something I would get a lot of value from coming straight out of university. I'll probably work for a few years so I have some experience before enrolling in it.

What about you?
Ahh I see...

Yeh all the above I've considered. I actually had a few interviews with MacCap (Macquarie IB) just before Funds Management, and they said that they don't rate people who do masters straight after uni. Exactly as you said, they don't get much value from it.

Going on what they said, they pushed for CA for all round skills. Doing CFA early would eliminate the need for masters and could fast-track you to Analyst positions. My boss did FINSIA Grad Dip for background skills.

To be honest, I'll probably pursue something next year/later. Most likely CA/CFA...although CA would be quite hard as I would be up against all the accounting students at the Big 4/mid tiers who have loads of support...

Mathmatics85

HSC
guys

On the unit outline it says in orde to pass the unit we must 'attempt' all internal assessment tasks, but i got 0% for handing in tutorial answers.. Does that mean im going to autofail no matter how well i do in the final?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
guys

On the unit outline it says in orde to pass the unit we must 'attempt' all internal assessment tasks, but i got 0% for handing in tutorial answers.. Does that mean im going to autofail no matter how well i do in the final?
No i handed in 0 just like you and still passed. Study hard and do well in the final, you kinda lost out on some easy marks there :p

*hopeful*

HSC
...although CA would be quite hard as I would be up against all the accounting students at the Big 4/mid tiers who have loads of support...
like me (next year) :D

340 was easier than i expected, i just hope it doesnt end up like midsem which everyone thought was easy and then got crap marks for

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
like me (next year) :D

340 was easier than i expected, i just hope it doesnt end up like midsem which everyone thought was easy and then got crap marks for
where's your grad job at? and after all these years i still dont know who you are :p

*hopeful*

HSC
where's your grad job at? and after all these years i still dont know who you are :p
hahah and i know who you are, have known for ages now :haha: i just may reveal myself one of these days :p

i will be mid-tiering it next year, big 5 or 6, cant remember lol...we can be ca buddies =)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
hahah and i know who you are, have known for ages now :haha: i just may reveal myself one of these days :p

i will be mid-tiering it next year, big 5 or 6, cant remember lol...we can be ca buddies =)
i bet you're wrong :p

i was supposed to start at Pitcher this year...however I got offered by Macquarie just before I started...so not sure about CA yet :p Might have to do something finance related

*hopeful*

HSC
i bet you're wrong :p

i was supposed to start at Pitcher this year...however I got offered by Macquarie just before I started...so not sure about CA yet :p Might have to do something finance related
lol i just saw this post now
and mr supra im so right bout who you are! did you happen to be at the ivy 2 fridays ago? (not the one just past, the one before) :p

congrats on macquarie, that trumps pitcher any day, i dont think pitcher even recruited any grads this year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)