Car-pooling has started! (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

Finally, the uni has started a car-pooling system. Unfortunately, they advertised it in all-student emails, which noone reads because it's flooded with useless crap (eg yesterday's important message of someone's bike being mangled :rolleyes:).

So, if you're interested in trying car-pooling, check out Car Pooling - Transport - Sustainability@MQ - Macquarie University

I really hope this initiative works. I for one know that I often see cars with MQ stickers in my area and see them driving literally behind me all the way from home to uni. I'm definitely going to give it a try, although I suspect that given MQ is one of the most disastrous and disorganised unis in Sydney, it'll fizzle out.

This message was sent by Adrian Emilsen, Sustainable Transport Officer (Office of Facilities Management) and authorised by Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Chief Operating Officer.. Peter Dodd.

Car Pool Website Launched

Following the recent consultation regarding car parking(Car Parking: Your Feedback - MQ Announcements - Macquarie University) on campus, I am delighted to announce the launch of the first Macquarie University Car Pooling scheme. Car pooling was strongly supported by respondents in the recent survey as an efficient and sustainable way to help reduce the strain on parking around the University. The new scheme will commence on Monday 17 August and will run during the semester and exam time.

A new web site has been created to enable car poolers to meet and arrange their travel. Staff and students can securely register their details and view an interactive map of car poolers in their area. Upon arrival at the University, users of the car pool will be entitled to preferential parking in the ground floor of the C1 car park between 7.30am and 11am. After this time, the car park will be opened up to all drivers.

To register your details for the scheme, please visit the Macquarie University Car Pooling web page at Car Pooling - Transport - Sustainability@MQ - Macquarie University

antisheep

HSC
I think the problematic thing is going to be that people aren't going to want to obligate themselves. I was about to sign up last night cos I always drive to uni with 4 spare seats but then it occurred to me that I really like the freedom of being able to hang out with friends after class or go to the library... things I usually decide at the last minute.

Does anyone know how it's meant to work? If I was to put up that I can drive a couple of people in the mornings, would I also be expected to do the same in the afternoon?

X

xeuyrawp

I think the problematic thing is going to be that people aren't going to want to obligate themselves. I was about to sign up last night cos I always drive to uni with 4 spare seats but then it occurred to me that I really like the freedom of being able to hang out with friends after class or go to the library... things I usually decide at the last minute.

Does anyone know how it's meant to work? If I was to put up that I can drive a couple of people in the mornings, would I also be expected to do the same in the afternoon?
You should definitely still sign up, and say that you're definitely going to be going from home to uni at x time. Ie, at least get it happening one way.

Remember that the person(s) you take in the morning might have a different class time to you anyway, and may want to leave before or after you.

I'm going to try it on one day that I know I have to be in the library - either 9-5 or 10-5...

antisheep

HSC
You should definitely still sign up, and say that you're definitely going to be going from home to uni at x time. Ie, at least get it happening one way.

Remember that the person(s) you take in the morning might have a different class time to you anyway, and may want to leave before or after you.

I'm going to try it on one day that I know I have to be in the library - either 9-5 or 10-5...
Cool.. I definitely will.. though my car broke down today and I'm getting a new one in a couple of weeks so I might wait until then. Would hate to be like "yeah I'll drive you" then have them sitting by the side of the road for an hour waiting for the nrma like I just had to... haha.

I have a few days where I have 9am classes so I think I'll just sign up for those days... it should be good just getting the chance to chat to someone rather than sitting there pissed off at how backed up Epping rd is.

So if anyone else signs up before I get the chance to... can they tell me what the process was like?

xsavagex

HSC
I signed up but when i went to fill in my details on the google maps thing, the pop up box didn't have anywhere i could type in my details :(

*hopeful*

HSC
has anyone been contacted or already started doing this ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I've started giving people lifts out of generosity, does that count?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)