parking question (1 Viewer)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I have evening lectures from 6-9pm Thursday and i dont want to catch public transport (3hrs of traveling), is there free parking available around MQ (street names)? Also can i get away with parking my car inside the uni without parking tickets/stickers ?

cheers

antisheep

HSC
Hi all,

I have evening lectures from 6-9pm Thursday and i dont want to catch public transport (3hrs of traveling), is there free parking available around MQ (street names)? Also can i get away with parking my car inside the uni without parking tickets/stickers ?

cheers
not sure if there's free parking around the place but you can always just casually park in the x carpark given it's one day a week... or you could park in the mac centre carpark cos that's free after 6 pm... (i.e. you get the normal 3 hours free then it's free after 6 so technically you can park there from after 3 and it should be free until midnight)

tbh I've never looked around late at night to see if the parking inspectors are there... up to you whether you risk it I suppose.

X

xeuyrawp

not sure if there's free parking around the place but you can always just casually park in the x carpark given it's one day a week...
It's really expensive... I never knew until I drove another car one day and wanted to pay.

or you could park in the mac centre carpark cos that's free after 6 pm... (i.e. you get the normal 3 hours free then it's free after 6 so technically you can park there from after 3 and it should be free until midnight)
No I don't think that's correct.

Someone told me the same thing, and I had to pay. I arrived at like 4pm and left at 9pm and ended up paying $4 or something.

I think you have to enter after 6pm in order to get free parking, which is useless if you want to get to class on time.

tbh I've never looked around late at night to see if the parking inspectors are there... up to you whether you risk it I suppose.
I would say not risk it. Remember that MQ essentially doesn't have parking inspectors; they have security walking around checking on the cars for both stickers and making sure the area is safe etc.

dawma88 said:
is there free parking available around MQ (street names)?
Not really, otherwise people wouldn't buy stickers. :p

You'd probably have better luck, though, given that it's at 6pm. I would say that you would have the best luck in any of the residential areas around the uni. Nowhere's really close though.

I think your best bet would actually be parking at Mac Centre and paying the $4 - it's much cheaper than the casual MQ parking.

Peartie

HSC
yea Mac Centre is only free if you arrive AFTER 6pm

parking at the uni i think is also free after 6pm (or it could be 7) but there is a time when you dont have to pay for parking there....cant find it on the website though...

antisheep

HSC
It's really expensive... I never knew until I drove another car one day and wanted to pay.

No I don't think that's correct.

Someone told me the same thing, and I had to pay. I arrived at like 4pm and left at 9pm and ended up paying $4 or something.

I think you have to enter after 6pm in order to get free parking, which is useless if you want to get to class on time.
I work in the centre and when I arrive at 4 and leave at 10 I get it for free... but it seems to work that way some days but not all. I agree with Pwar... go with the $4 at mac centre.

X

xeuyrawp

I work in the centre and when I arrive at 4 and leave at 10 I get it for free... but it seems to work that way some days but not all. I agree with Pwar... go with the $4 at mac centre.
Don't employees get free parking anyway?

antisheep

HSC
Don't employees get free parking anyway?
$4 a day.. but it's taking forever for them to get my paperwork through. Center management is harder to deal with than ATO it seems.... I usually park at the uni and walk across but my dad doesn't like it when I finish late... luckily it never seems to charge me... which is weird.

Peartie

HSC
$4 a day!? thats just shite!

(in that you have to pay to work there...other places with pay parking have free staff parking :S)

Last edited:

antisheep

HSC
Yeah that's what I said! They justify it because of the uni actually. When I asked I was told that they didn't want to make it more lucrative for students who work in the centre to not bother with the uni parking sticker and just park in the centre all the time... but that was from an unofficial source. Stands to reason. I know if it was free I certainly wouldn't be forking out for my parking sticker. Hell, still might not next year.

Peartie

HSC
why not make it that you simply have to have shifts on that day to be able to get the free parking...im sure the shops would be able to tell centre management who will be working on which day and then it just gets plugged into a computer and your little cards number, when read, if you havent worked then it doesnt work...

antisheep

HSC
That wouldn't work... at least not for me... my shifts change too often so it would be too hard logistically. I think you can only use your card 5 days a week though... but yeah 'sif AMP is going to be giving up a nice little money spinner like staff parking.

xsavagex

HSC
I have to pay $18 to park my car in chatswood chase when i go to work there :(

Sorry, off topic. I'd go with the mac centre parking too.

xsavagex

HSC
What a week? $19.00 a week?
Was that to me?

If so, then no, thats for a 5 hour shift, sometimes i end up having to pay $20. I usually park in a street outside but sometimes there are no parks and i'm late so i have to park in the centre car park.

Kiim2507

HSC
Was that to me?

If so, then no, thats for a 5 hour shift, sometimes i end up having to pay $20. I usually park in a street outside but sometimes there are no parks and i'm late so i have to park in the centre car park.
wow that sucks...wouldn't westfield be better? or mandarin? or train? bus?
if I had to pay $20 for a 5 hour shift that'd be like a quarter of my wage..devo.

xsavagex

HSC
wow that sucks...wouldn't westfield be better? or mandarin? or train? bus?
if I had to pay $20 for a 5 hour shift that'd be like a quarter of my wage..devo.
Usualllly i don't have to park there but by the time i decide that i HAVE to park there coz i'm running late it'd be stupid to park in westfield (plus westfield still charges)

I can't get a train coz there's no train station where i live and i'm too lazy to get a bus when i can drive there in 10 mins :D But yeah luckily there's usually parking in the street for like 80c an hour but sometimes i have to pay. so so so annoying.

xsavagex

HSC
Haha yeah it was annoying when i first started working there because i didn't realise i could find parking in the street.

Did anyone else spend 45 mins driving around the car parks yesterday trying to get a park.

X

xeuyrawp

Haha yeah it was annoying when i first started working there because i didn't realise i could find parking in the street.
$20... How much of your pay is that? ie for me, it'd be worth parking like 30 mins walk away...
Did anyone else spend 45 mins driving around the car parks yesterday trying to get a park.
Yeah, I just give up with our uni in every sense. Such a hopeless, desolate place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)