Degree in applied finance and commerce... (1 Viewer)

KokoNut

HSC
My friend will sit for HSC this year,
he wants to study applied finance+accounting in MQ,
his subjects are business studies, esl english, 4u maths and accounting(already completed in tafe...his mark is over 90).
Is this double degree course gonna be hard for him?
How much math-related stuff will be in the course?
And what do you think are the hardest parts in this course?

And for the bachelor of commerce(major in marketing), is it good compare to other uni(usyd and unsw)? what's your opinion about this course??

Thanks for any responses=)

williamc

HSC
My friend will sit for HSC this year,
he wants to study applied finance+accounting in MQ,
his subjects are business studies, esl english, 4u maths and accounting(already completed in tafe...his mark is over 90).
Is this double degree course gonna be hard for him?
How much math-related stuff will be in the course?
And what do you think are the hardest parts in this course?

And for the bachelor of commerce(major in marketing), is it good compare to other uni(usyd and unsw)? what's your opinion about this course??

Thanks for any responses=)
I did an applied finance and economics degree originally, so basically:

-It depends on the person. I think applied finance has some very challenging units, not really in first year, but apparently later on in the degree and thats basically individual.
-He did 4 unit maths, he will be fine.
-Each to their own again. Some people might say the maths, some might say understanding and applying the theories/concepts.

This year at macquarie they have added more 200 and 300 level marketing units. I can't say from a employers perspective, but from a students i think the degree is great for students aspiring to be marketers. As for rating against UNSW and USYD, i dont think that would really matter as much in marketing, esp if you were a student with the higher grades, and good people skills.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Your friend will be fine. If you can add and subtract and read, you'll be fine with B. of Commerce and if you understand basic algebra, you'll be fine with the finance degree too. You don't even really need to know calculus for the B. of Applied Finance.

Monstar

HSC
Currently doing BAppFin/Bcomm accg and was relatively weak on the maths...

heres the low down; the maths is piss easy. PISS EASY. However, certain concepts (especially accounting when you first see it) and financial instruments are difficult.. i find its all about overcoming the initial conceptual leap and then the rest should 'come'.

Judging from what my friend's say (they are currently job hunting) the double degree really does give one a leg up. But yeah once you get to uni its all about marks AND shit you do extracirrcularly.

Oh yeah Luke, I may hit you up on some accounting halpz, we are starting consolidation.. Expect a text message from me sometime this week, hahaha But seriously, I dont wanna fail.

KokoNut

HSC
I did an applied finance and economics degree originally, so basically:

-It depends on the person. I think applied finance has some very challenging units, not really in first year, but apparently later on in the degree and thats basically individual.
-He did 4 unit maths, he will be fine.
-Each to their own again. Some people might say the maths, some might say understanding and applying the theories/concepts.

This year at macquarie they have added more 200 and 300 level marketing units. I can't say from a employers perspective, but from a students i think the degree is great for students aspiring to be marketers. As for rating against UNSW and USYD, i dont think that would really matter as much in marketing, esp if you were a student with the higher grades, and good people skills.
thanks for reply:)
the reason for choosing the marketing course is because i wanna do B Arts+ B Commerce, and marketing is a major i have much more interest in than other majors like economics or accounting.
ehhh, but i do not think i have good people skills=(
im the silent one in front of people...
its like im only interested in the plan and the process during marketing,
a bit not sure if im suitable for that course now.

KokoNut

HSC
haha nice=) here is more replys than i expect ^ ^

could someone tell me the difference btw B Commerce-accounting and B Commerce(major in accounting)? i saw a thread about this before, but i cant find it now...

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Oh yeah Luke, I may hit you up on some accounting halpz, we are starting consolidation.. Expect a text message from me sometime this week, hahaha But seriously, I dont wanna fail.
Haha! Sure thing, man. Whenever you're ready. We'll burn through consolidation listening to Jay-Z.

KoKoNut said:
could someone tell me the difference btw B Commerce-accounting and B Commerce(major in accounting)? i saw a thread about this before, but i cant find it now...
B.Com-Accg allows you to do the CA/CPA accreditation and your major will always be accounting in this degree.

B.Com (Majoring in Accounting) won't necessarily allow you to do that, and it allows you to major in other areas.

End result: Do B.Com-Accg if you want to become a CA or CPA. ;)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Haha! Sure thing, man. Whenever you're ready. We'll burn through consolidation listening to Jay-Z.

B.Com-Accg allows you to do the CA/CPA accreditation and your major will always be accounting in this degree.

B.Com (Majoring in Accounting) won't necessarily allow you to do that, and it allows you to major in other areas.

End result: Do B.Com-Accg if you want to become a CA or CPA. ;)
hey dude you finished yet?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Not yet, man. I graduate after this semester... I can't wait!

What about you?
I finally finished. Actually looking at post grad now but not sure what I'll end up doing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)