B Actuarial Studies/B Laws & B Commerce/B Laws (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
For those who are currently undertaking/undertook either degree, what is it like? Is the workload a lot? Stressful? Is uni life great?

And where do you plan on heading with this degree once you've graduated? Thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

As is stated in the books and stuff, the B. Actuarial Studies is new. The format looks the same as the B. Commerce (Actuarial Studies), though, which a lot of people here are doing.

As for the B. Commerce degree, you'd have to specify which area, really, as I believe they're quite different.

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
The Actuarial Studies/Law double degree will take you 6 years, assuming you want to gain all exemptions for Part I and Part II accreditation.

I know several people undertaking it. the only real downside of doing it is that you do Law subjects in first and second semester of 1st year, and so you are taking a subject different to most other people doing Actuarial studies - which isnt an issue unless you wish to transfer to another double degree.

The beauty of the current way Actuarial studies works is that other than the law double degree (And the accounting/computing double degree,w hich i think they are scrapping) all other double degrees have the same subjects for first year, so transfering between them (or from single to double degree) is as simple as filling in a form at the end of the year, and you are at no disadvantage.

Check out Recommended Programs of Study - Department of Actuarial Studies - Macquarie University to compare teh programs of study as they currently are for different double degrees.

However notes, as PwarYuex said, that there are changes to this for next year, for example ACST151 will be replaced by 152, ACST211 will be replaced by 212, and other changes might take place, so this should only be an indication of what youa re going to study, and not final.

In terms of workload - actuarial studies is quite a bit, you will be going 5 days a week for first year at least (not full days i should stress, facetime about 16 hours for 1st semester, 20 hours 2nd semester)./ However if your willing to study like at school (As in do a bit every night) then you should be fine.

Monstar

HSC
In all honesty this is probably the most useless BCom (xxx)/ B Laws combo i've come across.. seems like the prestige factor is huge pull.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
you really have to decide what you enjoy doing, looking at your other posts you seemed to be really keen on medicine? if you are really good at 4u maths in hsc and you dont find it like hell, then maybe b commerce-actuarial studies at mq is best for you. i have a few friends that do it, it is a lot of work at uni, considering the amount of statistical mathematics you do, assessments and all that, and even after you graduate from uni, you should be prepared to work in the office doing actuarial work all day.

i wanted to do medicine in yr12, so i ruled out every other course and i was just full steam ahead aiming for undergrad med at unsw. but my umat score was so shit so i turned to commerce law, if you are taking law as an option i must warn you law is very dry, i have to read over 80pages of readings/law reviews/ after every lecture, to get a credit/distinction in law you really have to work hard. iv gone on a tangent but i hope that gets you thinking about your courses!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Thanks for all of your replies! Greatly appreciate it.

you really have to decide what you enjoy doing, looking at your other posts you seemed to be really keen on medicine? if you are really good at 4u maths in hsc and you dont find it like hell, then maybe b commerce-actuarial studies at mq is best for you. i have a few friends that do it, it is a lot of work at uni, considering the amount of statistical mathematics you do, assessments and all that, and even after you graduate from uni, you should be prepared to work in the office doing actuarial work all day.

i wanted to do medicine in yr12, so i ruled out every other course and i was just full steam ahead aiming for undergrad med at unsw. but my umat score was so shit so i turned to commerce law, if you are taking law as an option i must warn you law is very dry, i have to read over 80pages of readings/law reviews/ after every lecture, to get a credit/distinction in law you really have to work hard. iv gone on a tangent but i hope that gets you thinking about your courses!
Ah, MBBS at UNSW, UWS and UNCLE are my first 3 preferences. Then it jumps into a completely different ball game - Actuarial/Law at Macquarie. Alright, maybe the prospects of law isn't my thing. I'm not the type of person who reads a lot of books =). Does enjoying English (which many 4U people don't) during the HSC count? Haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)