Student Politics (1 Viewer)

Peartie

HSC
Does anyone else find this a sad state of affairs when MQ seems to think that

"Almost 1,300 undergraduate students, 7.2% of the undergraduate student population, cast their vote in the elections"

is a good turnout? or is that just the way I'm reading it? Either way I think its a pathetic turnout (then again did anyone actually know anything about the candidates? I felt bad voting when I didnt really know much about them at all...)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yes, 7% is a good turnout.

Bottom line is that the majority of students wont involve themselves in student politics because they don't consider the candidates policies relevant.

It will always be like this.

Peartie

HSC
yes...for Macquarie it is a good turnout...thats the sad thing...Students should show *SOME* interest in student politics - it needs to be better debated/advertised so that people become more aware of what the policies actually are...you never know something you think may be a good idea may be a candidates policy but you dont vote so the idea never gets implemented.

I just feel (this is coming from someone doing a POLminor mind you) that students should get more active - and more involved - in Student Politics and how the Uni is run...

mossieman

HSC
Hey all.
Well as one of the Candidates that ran in the election, I would have liked a bigger turnout. However, the reasons they took a positive approach toward the 7% were:

1) Macquarie hasn't had an Undergrad body in several years, so the students have been disengaged

2) Comparative to many unis, 7% is a high turnout (as sad as that concept is).

I will make sure that next years election is better promoted... however, make sure you get involved and learn as much about MUSRA over the next 12 months as you can. You will have a lot of chance to have a say.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Students will only vote if they feel the need to. This means having policies they actually care about, and making sure they know the consequences if they don't.

or bribery. That seems to work well.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I have had apathy towards students politics throughout my degree. In five years, I can't remember one really interesting policy that would actually make a difference/be implemented. And I tend to believe that a large proportion of our international students particularly do not care. 7% is great.

X

xeuyrawp

1) Macquarie hasn't had an Undergrad body in several years, so the students have been disengaged
I'm aware of the irony of an Egyptologist saying this, but:

I think it's hilarious that first years like yourself run for elections and use the old historical slant in your campaigns. Put it this way, you were in years 10 and 11 when students were putting up with Victor Mah's shit. Students are disengaged in politics at Macquarie because of the lack of any sort of sustainability.

I'll eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but I'll be very surprised if next year's elections attract anywhere near the sorts of numbers that this year's did. A small group of people were really obviously the driving force (and not the catalyst) for the changes this year. Not the same people who really brought accountability to Victor, but indeed a similar group.

Sorry to be all righteous about it, but I really can't help be critical when a first year stands up infront of me and says 'I know about your problems, and I can help you.'

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
As much as I enjoyed seeing the liberal use of chalk around the campus, I didn't pay much attention to the elections. The thing that did manage to catch the eye of a few of my friends was the 'bring back happy hour' campaign slogan or w/e. :eek:

mossieman

HSC
I'm sorry Pwar, but I feel I have to reply. I know that I wasn't around during Victor Ma's days, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was merely expressing the concept that if there isn't a student body, students won't know about it... therefore being a cause of the uni taking a positive outlook on 7% for an inaugural election.

I realise as a first year I haven't been at Macquarie as long as someone like yourself... But a student is a student. I still know what it is like to be poor. I still know how hard it is to try and balance uni, study, work and somehow try and be a normal person with a life as well. I also know what it is like to not be told what is going on at uni.... Those are the types of issues I know I attempted to campaign on, and I apologise if I came off any differently.

I am going to continue working on the growth of MUSRA, and promoting it. It may not seem relevant now, but hopefully we can make it relevant.... and I think, if we acheive that, the students may react accordingly. Then again, Apathy is a bitch.

X

xeuyrawp

I realise as a first year I haven't been at Macquarie as long as someone like yourself... But a student is a student. I still know what it is like to be poor. I still know how hard it is to try and balance uni, study, work and somehow try and be a normal person with a life as well. I also know what it is like to not be told what is going on at uni.... Those are the types of issues I know I attempted to campaign on,
And nothing Senators, Councillors, or these token MUSRA Electees have anything to do about (despite saying so).

Sorry, but Macquarie's never going to change until it completely re-evaluates the way it operates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)