psychology or nursing? (1 Viewer)

ji_ji

HSC
hi everyone,
i have completed high school in 2007 in hong kong. then went to ireland to study medicine.
however i have failed my exams and the school have requested for me to repeat the year. i have decided not to do that. so i'm now applying for school in australia..
i'm a little confused at this stage.. i am not sure if i should apply for psychology, or should i apply for nursing.. i am interested in psychology since high school and have considered studying psychology in uni.. but my dad was against this idea saying i'll never find a job if i graduate with a b of psycho (and i know that's partly true..) so my dad have "suggested" nursing.. i don't hate or dislike nursing.. but i have never thought of studying it.. and i would imagine the basics would be similar to what i have done in the past two years for med.. which i have failed to pass.. so i'm not sure if that's a wise choice.. afterall.. all i want now is to complete a degree..
from the grades i have obtained from high school, i should be able to get into UWS nursing or psychology.. i have also applied for B Arts – Psychology and B Health in Macquarie.. i have also applied for nursing in Usydney
currently i have put Mac in the first priority, Usyd second and UWS nursing third and psychology fourth..
can anyone give me any advice?

oo ps. i'm not quite sure with the UAC system.. will i only get one offer from the 9 choices? i.e. if the uni in the first choice have given me the offer, i will not get an offer the second, third or the ninth choice?

many thanks for any reply!

HSC
All up to you not your parents, although my parents were against me taking psych alone and so I chose to do business admin and psych so get a balance.

If you can't argue with your parents, try to find compromises like some kind of double degree or otherwise again it's up to you.

X

xeuyrawp

can anyone give me any advice?
Honestly, no-one here will be able to give you any valuable advice.

Some people will say to follow your parents because they have your interests at heart, and perhaps know about it. Some people will say that you should keep your options open. Some people will say that you should do whatever you want.

Ultimately, you probably won't go very well in a course you don't enjoy, working towards a career that doesn't excite you. Conversely, you may not like psychology; perhaps it's not like what you think it is.

The only way you'll know any of this is by having a go. You improve your chances exponentially if you choose something you enjoy - and I'm not pulling this out of my ass, there are studies that show people do better academically with subjects they enjoy (duh).

As for the campus, have you come to Sydney to see Macquarie and USyd? No offence, but unless they were world-renowned universities (and neither are), I would never go to a university unless I'd visited it. Maybe you'll hate Macquarie?

Sorry but there's nothing else to say; you haven't really given us anything tow ork with. *shrug*

Like I said, your chances in life are much better if you do what you enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)