Macquarie drops in world rankings....again! (1 Viewer)

akiva

HSC
N/A
Times Higher Education

Macquarie has now dropped from 182 to 187 in the top-200.

<start rant>
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
This is starting to really p*ss me off. What are they doing with my fees?

I shouldn't be surprised I guess, given the quality of the 'teaching' of ACCG352 this semester - 2 hour lectures which finish after 45 minutes and tutorials which go for 15 minutes. Then a 19 page midsemester exam to be done in 90 minutes. Did I mention the 'lecturer' who can't speak english??!!?

Sorry...
<end rant>

dolbinau

HSC
Apparently Schwartz gets a $100,000 bonus if he can get MQ 8th in the rankings by 2013. (p.s. it's 189th not 187)

So I'm sure he is trying hard ;P>

Last edited:

blackrider89

HSC
THES's ranking is regarded as a shit one :drink:. U can give a Principal of 1 Uni in wherever some bucks to get a holiday in Oz and visit MQ and in his peer review sometimes MQ maybe better than Harvard (coz H hasn't given him a shit). And the International staff and students which 're 20%...Who cares about it?

"Top 200" in our context is to be 1 in 200 research universities ranked by Shanghai Jiaotong, a much well-regarded one comparing to THES's. The Vice-Chancellor and Dean of the Economics Department have said that.

Just forget about rankings a bit or u on some bad day may notice in a ranking that ranked MQ, more or less, at 400 or 500 in the world (I know one and it's considered as rigorous as SHJT's one, even somewhat better).

Last edited:

akiva

HSC
N/A
Yep and I've looked at the other two you're referring two and Macq is placed even lower than in the Times one.

I'm not sure where I'll be doing postgrad but it sure as hell won't be at Macq.

And it's not just because of the rankings....

blackrider89

HSC
Yep and I've looked at the other two you're referring two and Macq is placed even lower than in the Times one.

I'm not sure where I'll be doing postgrad but it sure as hell won't be at Macq.

And it's not just because of the rankings....
It'll surely be m8. Even one ranked MQ at 100 or higher...I would never, at least now, consider it a (very) good Uni. That's the same idea of many ppl IMAO.

HSC
I shouldn't be surprised I guess, given the quality of the 'teaching' of ACCG352 this semester - 2 hour lectures which finish after 45 minutes and tutorials which go for 15 minutes. Then a 19 page midsemester exam to be done in 90 minutes. Did I mention the 'lecturer' who can't speak english??!!?

Sorry...
<end rant>

Its because the lack of people who complain thats why, They leave the lecturers who cant speak English its stupid.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Its because the lack of people who complain thats why, They leave the lecturers who cant speak English its stupid.
Do the complaints actually work? Those end of semester reviews are clearly not read or at least they aren't responding to them...

LOL - I'm surprised that Mq even made it in the top 200... :jaw:

dolbinau

HSC
They make a pretty big deal about the reviews so I figure someone MUST read them..

blackrider89

HSC
Do the complaints actually work? Those end of semester reviews are clearly not read or at least they aren't responding to them...

LOL - I'm surprised that Mq even made it in the top 200... :jaw:
In a merely commercial Ranking as the THES's, nothing is impossible. University of Malaya, 180-oh holy shit :jaw:.
Top 300 is a more accurate one. To get a place in top 200 of the SHJT's (Schwartz's dream), they (we) must try heaps more.

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
Dude lets face it, The candiditure at macquarie isnt that great...
So when macquarie hires within its own, its like a deadly cycle with each generation of students getting crapper and crapper. The fact that we have lecturers who can't speak english is representative of the point im making.

X

xeuyrawp

Apparently Schwartz gets a $100,000 bonus if he can get MQ 8th in the rankings by 2013. (p.s. it's 189th not 187)
That's obviously a lie.

Noone has pointed out that the International Student scoring was 100%. I like it how international students are far happier at MQ than local students are.

Pretty indicative of the university, imo. :)
Edit:
THES's ranking is regarded as a shit one
Erm, not really. It's considered one of the top two, with Shanghai Uni. They're different methods of ranking, which of course produce different results. /shrug.

Last edited by a moderator:

dolbinau

HSC
That's obviously a lie.

Looking around perhaps a bonus for that specific instance isn't quite true (I'm not sure), but he is getting 100,000 bonuses for something:

Uni defies trend by squeezing executive pay - National - smh.com.au

"At Macquarie University, the incoming vice-chancellor, Steven Schwartz, received a salary package of $540,000, but it appears he did not earn his bonus.

Under his performance indicators, included in material supplied to the Herald under freedom-of-information laws last year, he would have earned a full bonus of $100,000 if he doubled the number of PhD students at the university and lifted its international ranking during the year."

blackrider89

HSC
That's obviously a lie.

Noone has pointed out that the International Student scoring was 100%. I like it how international students are far happier at MQ than local students are.

Pretty indicative of the university, imo. :)
Edit:
Erm, not really. It's considered one of the top two, with Shanghai Uni. They're different methods of ranking, which of course produce different results. /shrug.
Being considered the 2nd right after SHJT's, the THES's reputation actually based on the popularity (at least it's published in English).

Every ranking has its own methods. But 40% for Peer review, 20% for International (and Overseas students are not quite happy at MQ, for sure) students and staff. What the heck? Now there comes a South East Asias Uni in THES's ranking, University of Malaya, 180 :monkey:. Good joke.
I'd prefer the SHJT and HEECT (?) ones. Sounds transparent, at least.

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I'm in my first year but so far out of the units I've done, BBA102 and ACCG105 are the most disorganised and have some low standards teachesr (in my opinion don't grill me).
Sorry to give you bad news.. but if you think those are bad.... it doesn't get much better from there

merillem

HSC
I love how his bonus is based on a ranking as opposed to student satisfaction, graduate outcomes or research output. Sure these things might be incorporated in some way in rankings but a ranking doesn't fully reflect them....

blackrider89

HSC
I love how his bonus is based on a ranking as opposed to student satisfaction, graduate outcomes or research output. Sure these things might be incorporated in some way in rankings but a ranking doesn't fully reflect them....
So u 're satisfied and ur outcomes are great? Is that right? Coz in the Good Universities Guide (ranking again), the 2 curricula are the lowest 4 MQ. 1 or 2 star I suppose.

blackrider89

HSC
Please, go on. I mean. I like bitching about things, so....
I'd prefer not to mention it but be logical a bit m8 and u will easily figure out the reason. If u, a domestic student who can borrow the tuition fee and do not have to pay (3-4% per annum) until ur earnings reach 60000 (42000 taxable means u must earn at least 60-70000), still unhappy, how can an overseas one (in general), who pays >21k/year, no concession, 12-15k/year to exist (not to live), be?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)