Macquarie uni double degree- cost and workload (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I'm in yr12 this year and I'm hoping to do a double degree next year at Macquarie university doing bachelor of arts( modern history) and bachelor of commerce (economics).

I was wondering how much textbooks cost for each of these majors?, how much money would i need to set aside each year for books?

Also what is the workload for a double degree? How much time is spent in lectures, tutorials, studying, doing assignments, etc?

Any info would be much appreciated :p

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Commerce books will probably be around $100/book. Arts courses have unit readers for some in lieu of book, so they will cost less. Workload will be exactly the same - just that you are there for five years and not three. Look to spend around 12-15 hrs at campus on lectures/tutes - studying and assignments is really up to you.

Tabris

HSC
Textbooks - usually 400-500 a semester
Stduey - they expect 9 hours per subject per week (including lecture and tutorials)

I cant say much about the Arts side of things,

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The price of arts textbooks really does depend on what unit you're talking about, i study ancient history and for some i have spent $150 for books + readers for others i've spent as little as $70 for books + readers. I've found theres usually a standard book/set of books that cost around $100 then various other recommended books ranging between $20-$60 (that you don't have to have but are helpful) then a $20-$30 reader.

HSC
You will get alot of assessments, just depends which subjects you pick for each semester. My first semester I chose 4 subjects which gave me 60+ assessments for the semester.... as in tutorial hw, assignments, group assignments and online quizzes. BIG workload so yeah, you will get used to it though.

HSC
i didnt think they offered a arts/cpmmerce degree at maq? is it new? because thats what i wanted to do but they didnt offer it last year

Atlas

HSC
N/A
You can always buy second hand books or later exchange your books as well as photocopy to minimise your costs

williamc

HSC
for your economics major you wont really get many assessments.

Most ECON units i have done have had an outline something like this

Online quizzes 10%
Mid sem test 30%
Final exam 60%

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Doing a double degree doesn't necessarily mean you do more units per semester than if you were doing a single degree - standard full time students would be doing 4 units a semester (double or single). As for the number of contact hours, assessments, etc depends on the type of degree and the faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)