cost of going to uni (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey i've been procrastinating from hsc study by thinking about how much uni is going to cost next year. I'm planning on going to macquarie uni doing a double degree in bachelor of arts(modern history) and bachelor of commerce(economics).

I was also planning on staying at Robert Menzies College(RMC) during the university semester's (about 32 weeks a year) and 20 weeks at home. RMC is going to cost me about 12,500 and staying at home will cost me 1,500 so all up 14,000 for all accommadation costs( rent, utilities, internet, food, etc.)

I've asked people about the costs of books and i figure i'll need anywhere from $1000- $1700.

Then $200 for credit( heyi if i can't have a social life the next best thing is to keep talking to friends :p).

$480 for the year for the sports and aquatic centre at MQ.

Fares around $100 to $150 possibly depending on how often i visit home.

Clothing around $300 ( i'll definitely be looking out for the sales).

Around $200 has been suggested to bring during O-week to join clubs and societes at MQ.

Finally around $30 to $50 a week on extras such as going out and drinking.

ANYWAY, after all that i figure i need about $19,500 for the first year.
:( Sadly i only earn $17,500 so i have to skimp on spending at schoolies this year. On youth allowance.

I'm getting HECS help btw.

Definitely going to look hard for a job so i won't have to be a povo student( well not too povo)

So i was just wondering what people are doing for money?, i.e jobs in the retail industry. How did you get the job? Any resume tips?

Also how is everyone else doing financially how much do you have to spend?, how much do you think you need? Anyone get a student loan from MQ uni?

Anyone have any money saving tips? Are buying second hand books a good idea?

Any and all feedback on any of these tpics would be much appreciated, thank you in advance. :p

spence

HSC
I highly doubt you'll be spending that much on textbooks. Arts subjects in my experience either don't have textbooks or have cheap ones, and business subjects tend to cost ~100-150 per subject, so I'd be surprised if you spend 1000 on books. This is from other unis (UTS and USyd) but I imagine Mac would be similar.

blackrider89

HSC
Dunmore Lang or Robert Menzies will cost u no less than 350-400/week. Why don't m8 consider some other choices?

HSC
Hey me again,oh good i was hoping textbooks weren't going to cost too much. RMC costs 345 a week which is a really good price for everything you get plus although it does cst a lot i think i'll get a lot out of it. $20 at O-week? Did you join many clubs and societies? I was also wondering how much does it cost to join clubs and societies at Mq Uni?

williamc

HSC
only join wang. thats like 10 bucks a year and you get a free (lol) bbq every 2nd week.

dont join ECFS biggest waste of money

HSC
I was thinking of joining the:
1) debating society
2) ECFS- economics, finance, commerce society
3) Filmsoc
4) I Heart Macquarie
5) MacEnviro
6) Macquarie University Oaktree Foundation
7) The W.A.N.G club

Is anyone part of these clubs/ societies, if so can you tell me a bit about these clubs, thanks.

williamc

HSC
2. they do one good thing a year which is a cruise (which i havnt even been on) just pay the extra 10 bucks for the non memeber ticket if you are keen on the cruise
7. DO IT

HSC
Hey me again,oh good i was hoping textbooks weren't going to cost too much. RMC costs 345 a week which is a really good price for everything you get plus although it does cst a lot i think i'll get a lot out of it. $20 at O-week? Did you join many clubs and societies? I was also wondering how much does it cost to join clubs and societies at Mq Uni?
Joined none.

I'm pretty uninvolved at uni, needless to say.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
join UNIT - university network for investment and trading. free and sounds good on your resume (isn't that the point?)

Thusly, I spent $0 at O'week, and I can spend that money on more than 1 drink per week.

I also sell all my textbooks after my final exams. Nobody should lie to themselves that they'll need it in the future. Because a) books go out of date; and b) all the information you need is google-able.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

Honestly, I think it's pointless to plan this far ahead. You may not come to Macquarie; you may choose another uni.

Concentrate on the HSC, tbh.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
dont join ECFS biggest waste of money
ECFS is good for competitions and stuff relevant to building up your resume and it's great for getting connections and news on jobs and graduate positions - it's useful to turn up an get headhunted by recruitment officers from the big firms

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)