tutorials (1 Viewer)

*hopeful*

HSC
hey i heard its best to get a tutorial straight after a lecture, is that rite or wat
like is it so u can quickly get everything out of the way or is there really an advantage ?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, whats the deal ?

IS there a problem with geting a tutorial before a lecture ?

e.g

T1 on monday
L1 on tuesday ?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
uh it doesn't really matter if your tute is before the lecture or not.

since most tutorials start in WEEK2, in that first tutorial you will be going over material covered in WEEK1 lectures! your tutor will make sure you cover all the required material.

it is of course your personal preference if you want to have a tute before your lecture!! to me it doesn't make a difference!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but is it harder to remember things if the tut is too much later? or better because you have to be revising what you did the week before?

doe

HSC
N/A
youre gonna have to remember it anyway for the exam.

as long as you have textbook + notes you wont forget anything. you tutor will probably give you the answers if pressed as well.

Leanne

HSC
well the only way i could work out my timetable successfully with as less days as possible was to have some tutorials on the day of lectures - but b4 them. i spose it would be a gr8 time to revise before the next lectures continue on the subject...:)

doe

HSC
N/A
having tutes before lectures wont be a problem, as mentioned tutes are a week behind lectures (ie tute on lectures week 2 ocur in week 3).

i would put average attendance at tutes and lectures at about 50% of enrolment. quite commonly its even less than that. how well you can cram for exams can really save your butt. theres some indication of how this works at http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~rody/math237/ at the start of the semester i reckon about 250 students were enrolled in that unit, though that was down to 207. nearly 10% of students didnt bother doing the basic, compulsory work. in another subject i did (comp224 - notoriously boring), over 50 students didnt bother doing the compulsory work, the mind boggles as these subjects would be on their hecs bill.

i wouldnt worry too much about this stuff.

Last edited:

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
do you think its not good to have tutes an hour after lectures or do you think its better straight after?, in terms of getting there and then focussing on last weeks lecture?

L1onHeart

tutorial mostly based on your previous lectures so usually you don't have tutorial in first week.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i've just fit mine in when they fit the easiest, i haven't looked to see if they are before or after anyway

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It personally doesn't make much difference, imo. It's not like you're going to learn any more or less, if it's before or after.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
flyin' is right.... you guys are just making a big deal about the tute times and remembering stuff... hahaha.

personally i don't revise or do anything for the tute. i use the tute as a refresher on what happened last week and how it all fits in.

if your a lazy student, like me, cramming is the best way to go. all i went to the tutes for was cuz they are compulsory attendance at usyd. now i don't know how i'm gonna go about for the exam period since macq doesn't have a stuvac before the exams!! :(

L1onHeart

Macquarie always give you a break like a week or two weeks depend on your exam schedule.
You won't do well MOSTLY if you do it all last minutes especially in University.

Last edited:

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
so we get a week of stuvac like we did for the hsc?

L1onHeart

Originally posted by choco
so we get a week of stuvac like we did for the hsc?
yes at least you will get one week break to study but you can have even more time if your exam schedule is a little bit late.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i hate those weeks off the study, they are so boring

choco

love the mini xxl!
HSC
yeah i know, anyone have any suggestions on how to study for exams in uni, like do you just learn the textbook fully or do they tell you which topics you need to focus on?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
you get stuvac at macq? i must of heard wrong then.. my bad..

as for what to study, it depends on the lecturer. some are really kind and hint at what you should pay more attention on, while the others just give you a broad range of chapters from the text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)